Register now to get rid of these ads!

Like to weld without a hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choptopdoc, Jan 22, 2011.

1. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

Amazing it took 57 posts before skin cancer was mentioned! 55 dude you-da-man!

i have always been a tack without a 'shield' welder. could not stand the bobble head movements for short term welding!

2O years ago the 'derm clinic' at university of michigan took my nose apart/ basal cell skin cancer, started out as a biopsy about the size of a grain of rice, ended up bigger than a thumb print! after the surgery my nose skin was undercut enough to cover the thumbprint, to avoid a skin graft. guess where the grafts would have been taken from! the cheek of my 'hiney'! know what my nose would have looked like? since then two surgeries to the left forearm and one on the right forearm.
    thankfully all have been basal cell. i've lost track of the number of biopsies for pre-cancers on my face, neck, ears and arms. a cotton swab freeze with liquid nitrogen is not unlike a cigarette put out on your skin!

i am hyper sensitive to weld flash on my arms these days. i whelp-up/ burn on uncovered skin when i weld. just had my cataract removed, haven't used my mig welder in the last
    6 months!

the ultraviolet rays are unbelievably damaging to exposed skin!

I UNDERSTAND THIS IS A LONG POST, BUT DON'T IGNORE THE WARNING..........USE PERSONAL PROTECTION DEVICES!

red ----------------from the sun and welding too!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. saints

saints

around welding all the time with the gas company and I have gotten my eyes burned a few time and the old potato sliced in half on the eyes work great

3. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

Spent a summer welding and grinding my old Ford truck. Didn't get the sunburn or welders flash but too lazy to wear earplugs. Lucky I only lost hearing on one side...

4. Red White and Bluick

Red White and Bluick

I've worked on cars most of my life (collision,restoration) and I use a full helmet (leather covers whole head) and I use a gold lens. I dont have a auto dark but have used them. I also have used harbor fright tools but I would have a hard time using an auto dark from them. M H O.

5. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

Does anyone remember that Sci-Fi flick in the sixties when that guy got nailed by that Atomic-blast !!! His eyeballs bugged-out !!! Freaked the royal crap out of us kids at the East 70 Drive-in Theater!!! Atomic Blast=Welding

6. nali

nali

When I was 17 , I told a friend not to arc welding without a helmet . He learned the hard way it s dangerous . Spend 1 week with 2 pairs of sun glasses . Painfull anyway .
    I can t believe someone pretending working with metal for 15 years is so stupid to weld without eyes protections ....
    Please just tell it was a joke ..

7. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

Welding without a hood is just plain STUPID.