Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Living the Dream - '30 Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tumblin' Dice, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

That car has the look, even sitting up high looks nasty with the chop & rubber rake! No bonnet means business!

Tumblin' Dice and Dannerr like this.
  2. Great build thread keep the updates coming.

Tumblin' Dice likes this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

Love this A, keep it Sweet!

Tumblin' Dice likes this.
  4. I ran the stock tank in my A with a second dash cut from a wasted tank. The second dash was hung from the windshield valance, with modern gauges and stock speedo.

You should be able to do something similar with a '32 dash.
    Aristocrat dash.JPG

5. I've been thinking about this for almost a year at this point, and I've decided on a way forward similar to this.

The cowl tank on the car also has some pinholes that I should get around to fixing at some point, so what I think I'll do is try to make it up to Turlock in a few months and look for a separate cowl tank. Cut out the area behind the dash, and weld in a deeper recess to accommodate the Chrysler (?) gauge cluster, speedo cable, etc. mounted to a '32 dash.

With the tank opened up, I'll be able to install an actual electronic fuel sender and have the gauges correctly calibrated for it. I am not sure at this point if there is a best option for the sending unit, since once it's in there and welded up it would be basically in there for good. Then, just swap the tanks out and I'm golden. Right? ...

Outback likes this.
  6. Oh yes, that's great tech.

My thinking is that the factory recess on the tank is not going to be enough for the other gauge cluster anyway, and when I cut into the tank to make space I'll almost definitely lose that hole for the A sight glass anyway.