Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking to Get Started...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tribalmonkey, Dec 14, 2020.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'll take away the parade comparison. How about obstruction to traffic?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bchctybob likes this.
  2. My trucks top speed is 55mph. I get along just fine

Tribalmonkey likes this.
  3. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. atch

atch

Do you have a Model A Club nearby? I belong to one that is a restorers' club. On the one hand they like me because I have a Model A. On the other hand they don't like me because I'm building a hot rod as opposed to restoring my car. It's a good place to learn about the body (and probably frame) that you're using. It's also a great place to find/buy some pieces that you need and sell what you don't use like fenders/splash aprons/running boards/etc.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Atch- yeah. Sounds like a good plan. I am so new at this, I have no idea if there is a model a club around here. I’ll do a google search

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

One thing I might add is to go into this knowing that this is not going to be a weekend project. Don't get discouraged if it's not going as fast as you want. It takes a little time and effort to get a vehicle where you want it.

lothiandon1940 and Tribalmonkey like this.
  7. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

This is what I am talking about! . Maybe it needs a chop but I still really like this one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  8. Someone just picked up this running/driving 32
    Was listed at 33k.
    D7592606-2CDD-4052-9F27-0BE08A4B8443.jpeg
    Instant hot rod.

9. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Anthony - I must have misled you guys. $33k!? I am looking to pick something up for less than $10k. However, from what I can see $33k wouldn’t be a big deal for some of you guys. :)

10. No, I wasn’t suggesting a 30K+ purchase. It fits the theme of building a hot rod from a restored car.
    I would be willing to bet this one is on its way for a hot rod build.

11. gene-koning

gene-koning

With a top limit of $10,000, you should be able to find something that should do the job for you.

You need to hook up with some guys in your area that know what is going on and become friends. Good guidance when you first get into this hobby can be a life saver. There re guys here on the HAMB that would be able to offer you good advice.

Ready cash can make things happen pretty fast, and sometimes its the guy with the cash that gets the good deals because really good deals don't tend to sit around very long. Its kind of a double edged sward, you have to jump on the good deals pretty quickly, but you have to be able to tell if they are a good deal or not.

I'm a Mopar guy. The first 30s "car" I bought was a pile of cut up rusty stuff with a good title. At that point, I had over 10 years of building dirt track cars under my belt, so I had a lot of experience, and equipment. It took my nearly 6 years to get that car to the street, then 3 more to make it a nice car. Apparently I didn't learn very well the 1st time, I've done that several times over the years, the last one I started just 6 months ago. The difference was after the 1st one, I had a hot rod to drive while I built the next one. I would not recommend anyone new to the hobby to repeat my processes.
    Make some hot rod friends to assist you, get your cash in hand, then, with the help of your friends, find your car. Gene

12. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Gene- Good advice. Thank you.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Had the discussion with the wife tonight. She is on board.

lothiandon1940 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  14. I'd put another 5 grand together to add to the 10 G's. With 15 ready cash you got a shot at the 18 to 20 grand car. That translates into a 22 to 25 car. Better to let the seller take the hit. At that price most of the expensive shit has already been done and bought. All you'll have to do is step up a little to make it fit what you want.

Atwater Mike and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Well that’s probably the biggest hurdle overcome

16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It's easy spending someone else's money, isn't it?

46international likes this.
  17. Stock chassis
    Banger motor
    Juice brakes
    FADE37C4-9448-45DE-A765-F30D3B66673E.jpeg FD4EC3F4-3EAD-4A66-9F0A-D6346BAE244A.jpeg 4ED706DA-BB79-4E5E-B2FF-FDAE4502AE57.jpeg

18. He can spend 20 bucks for all I care. Just offering some economic advice. He can pay it now, or twice as much later.

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  19. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

20. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

What is the best way to research period specific model A hot rods? I have just been using google with model A hot rod and a year (i.e. ‘model a hot rod 1948’) and looking at the pictures. I’m sure there is a better way. Is there a book you guys can recommend?

21. Here’s ya a cheaper one but needs more work. Has a title
    3A95D2E7-4816-4935-BF62-F75E3D8E4580.png

chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  22. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

I just checked on it. It’s already sold.

23. That was fast.already pulled the ad down
    Wonder if anyone here nabbed it

24. When searching use only "Ford Model A." don't put a year.
    Then you will see all Model As, not just hot rodded ones.
    Alternative in some searches "Ford 1928-1948" to show other than just As.
    Use Ford Barn, CL, FB, Hem, BAT etc etc.
    I'm not promoting any, just giving free info!

25. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Thanks Tony. I’ve found several on FB marketplace. Most are still asking just over my current budget of $10k.

Tony Martino likes this.
  26. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

What I am specifically asking about here is not for finding a car but finding information related to hot rods of specific periods. Like late 1940s model A coupes.

27. This board is the gold standard for traditional hot rods. Also search out the AHRF. Lots of history compiled there.

28. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Thanks Tman! I will continue to read through the threads here. It is pretty awesome. Almost too much information.

29. Imagine having been on here 10, 15 or like some of us over 20 years. The amount of info I have seen just blows me away. Recently I have been digging into older threads via the search, ones I have even commented on and forgotten. This place is just an amazing database for what we love.

30. alchemy

alchemy

The Don Montgomery books were the best for a compilation of real pictures and stories from back in the day.

https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Rods-As-They-Were/dp/0962645419

Buy them all!

Otherwise, you could buy original old Hot Rod and Rod & Custom magazines for the way it really was. Our modern interpretation seems to clean up the oddities that actually happened back then. Old pictures tell the truth.