Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects LXII (62) Chevy II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jan 3, 2017.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We got your back!

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen Shawshank Redemption... t'aint always a good thing.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, I was asked lately if I had made any Nova progress. I had not because I have only one lift and I was trying to get the 34 ready for paint. I succeeded in that and I drove the Nova onto the lift today. First task, painting some rims. I had made some frame rotisseries from a couple of engine stands, the only thing they needed to paint wheels was a length of pipe which was leaning up in the corner.
    upload_2017-2-26_21-27-0.png
    The engine stands were cut at the base and I took the tilt out of them for working on hot rod frames so they worked perfect for this project. When they have a frame bolted to them I built a universal joint into it so they would spin freely. I love cheap tools.
    Roman red base coat, clear coat was applied later but I don't have a shot yet. I''ll post it up later. I am mounting them in F70 bias ply red lines. Should look ridiculous on the little Chevy II with some poverty caps.
    upload_2017-2-26_21-31-22.png
    This method allows you to rotate the rims and get an even coat of paint. I love red line tires which is evident on the Olds SS II rims in the background. I guess I owned too many hot wheel cars when I was a tyke.

BigDogSS likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Good "taint" ain't bad!:rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well typed my NW brotha! The tune up went well. New plugs, points, etc. Fires on the first hit. Fast idle may be a bit high bit so far so good.

Today was the first day I had it on the lift and got to stand under it. I have never seen a 55 year old car without accident damage, rust or any corrosion. And did I mention that this is a convertible? Very rare indeed. I'll lie on the creeper and take some up skirt photos. The only thing odd is the sole cherry bomb muffler. whatever.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yes, please do, I've always heard the verts had some extra reinforcements in the floorpan.
    BTW, what center caps did you go with for the wheels?

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't picked any centers yet, I was actually going to order some from Summit to see how they look. They have an easy return policy and I have a couple of things to return anyway so I can save on the shipping that way.

I got a stall at the Portland swap meet so I have to hustle on this Nova. I plan to put a high sticker price on it and drive it in and out everyday so I don't have to pay for parking. I'm cheap that way.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Maybe you can spend what you saved on some better Bourban.;)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Spoken like a man after my own liquor cabinet.:D
    Wheels coated with hardened clear. Picture is turned "Batman" style. POW!
    upload_2017-3-1_13-8-4.png
    Mounted on red line 'Stones G70s, center cap is stainless steel police cap. I dig bias plys on vintage cars!
    upload_2017-3-1_13-10-28.png
    My Deville, I'm ready for my close up!
    upload_2017-3-1_13-11-11.png
    The cap is just sat on there right now, I'll mount them on the Nova tonight and take a pic. One tire took some weight but the others were fairly round, a good quality for tires. I'll mount that heavy rim in the back.

Oh, I forgot about the under car shots, I'll do that tonight too. I had enough paint to shoot the gas cap red and clear it, it had a nasty locking cap on it when I bought the car. I also clear coated the '62 Washington license plate I registered to the car, it turned out looking like a restored plate. Not bad for a 25 dollar epay purchase.

10. jimmy959

jimmy959

Those look awesome! Can't wait to see the pics of them on the car.

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Roger that.
    I think the car will be striking with this combination, albeit, a lot of red.
    What happens when Mother in Law just has to have it, then what?

12. Screw the Nova ~ So what happened with the Falcon Grilles? ;)

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well...a whole lot of nothing Hotroddon. I thought I had one sold but I still have them both. They are going to the Portland Swap Meet next month, they should go away without too much of a fight.
    Much like her daughter, she cant drive a stick. :cool:

I promised some up-skirt pictures of the 62, I'm a man of my word so here they are. For those of you with weak stomachs caused from cutting out and welding in new floor pans in your 50 plus year old rusted convertibles, please look away.
    upload_2017-3-1_22-27-41.png
    Left and right side rear fenders from the inside. No rust, no repairs
    upload_2017-3-1_22-28-14.png
    under the drivers side front floor
    upload_2017-3-1_22-29-16.png
    Under the drivers side passenger floor
    upload_2017-3-1_22-29-44.png
    Right side passenger floor
    upload_2017-3-1_22-30-18.png
    front right passenger floor, note fuel lines and substructure (convertible)
    upload_2017-3-1_22-30-50.png
    Close up of the right rear passenger side floor, looks like it was assembled last year
    upload_2017-3-1_22-31-22.png
    A look at the sole cherry bomb and a very straight piece of pipe, and that perfect floor.
    upload_2017-3-1_22-31-51.png
    I haven't touched the under side. That is just 55 years of dirt, no undercoating, very few people have been under here messing around...other than the exhaust guru that thought a stock 194 would sound meaty played through that red glasspack. What a perfect basis for a sweet little hot rod Chevy II. Pull the 194 and 3 on the tree, add a little 283 and a hump shifted 4 gear, already has bucket seats factory (rare). Groovy little car from a day when no one had ever heard the word "groovy".

Pics as promised. See it at the Portland Swap Meet in the 8000 blocks. My buddy Tim from MAACO and I have a few stalls adjoining. His Camaro, my Nova and some falcon grilles in between. I'll stick one of my alliance tags on the firewall so you remember to say hi. Bring your own glass.

OK, Jimmy, just for you, I bolted on a couple. I am putting G70s on the rear and F70s upfront, the fronts aren't here yet so I bolted on the Gs on the drivers side for a photo op. The fronts are too big but you get the idea. Yes, it is a lot of red Doug but it has a vintage 'tude. The smaller fronts will rake the car a bit which it needs. I didn't want to spend a bunch on it, looks like I will keep the damage to about $2000. It is taking on an aggressive look for that little money. I like the way the little wheel caps play off the 400 side trim. Needs a dash tach. Pretty, aint she?
    upload_2017-3-1_22-57-7.png
    Next up, under hood work. I love playing with cars!

quick85, rjones35, T-roaster and 5 others like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey Billy
    If you have any money left after you're done at Steves and Kibbys, I may have something you'd like, PM ya later.

15. Talk to me Goose! I might like to take one off your hands, mine is a beat ragged ..... HELP a brother out LOL

Bandit Billy likes this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Copy that Mav, ill PM ya

hotroddon likes this.
  17. jimmy959

jimmy959

Sweet! Love that little Nova!

18. LOL Bourbon in the PNW? I got a friend in Tigard that always greets me with a big ol fatty and has since at least 4 decades before it was legal. LOL

neat little car, needs a little more go power like say a 2x4 427? :D Naw I like it the way that it is.

jakespeed63 and Bandit Billy like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wasn't me your honor, I wasn't there.

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And I never inhaled. :D

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gotha have something for the PBR to chase.

22. Love it just the way it is!! Always been a Bucket List car for me

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Progress report, it is wet sanding and polishing time for the Nova. The car had a fairly recent base coat clear coat applied, but a lot of orange peel and "fog" in the finish. Wasn't too worried about it and this weekend I started the sand and polish process. Here is the half and half hood and yes I left the hood peak installed so I wouldn't be tempted to run the buffer up there and burn the paint off.
    Right half is the original finish, you cen see from the reflection of the shop lights overhead the imperfections and haze.
    upload_2017-3-13_12-13-31.png
    And the right side after wet sand and polish is strikingly brilliant, even changed the color slightly, now darker, deeper and a proper Roman Red.
    upload_2017-3-13_12-15-44.png
    You can almost read the brand name on the light bulbs. Rest of the car is sanded, Led Zeppelin is cued up in the garage tape player in album order, staring on album one on front left fender, right rear quarter by Runes and should be wrapped up by Houses of the Holy. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

The engine bay is nothing you boys would be interested in as it is mostly resto, tower hose clamps, glass beaded and semi flat black paint on the air cleaner, GM decals, cool restomod battery treatment, stripped all of the corrugated, split plastic, wire cover crap and re-wrapped in friction tape. Looks like 1962 in the engine bay.

This is one nice Nova, I'll have it at the Portland Swap meet in the 8000 blocks. Stop by and say hello.

koolkemp, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Awesome!! Work is always better to Zep. Oh and yes we do want to see the engine bay!! Pictures, please!!

loudbang likes this.
  25. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

OK, Jimmy, just for you, I bolted on a couple. I am putting G70s on the rear and F70s upfront, the fronts aren't here yet so I bolted on the Gs on the drivers side for a photo op. The fronts are too big but you get the idea. Yes, it is a lot of red Doug but it has a vintage 'tude. The smaller fronts will rake the car a bit which it needs. .
    View attachment 3467572

Nova looks great with the wheel/tyre combo. I've been looking for something 'suitable' for my car, old looking but new, what is the 'actual' size of a G70 and F70, tread width and overall diameter? I looked on Cokers site, but there's no spec on these. Thanks

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I took this off the summit website, that is where I ordered them, free 2 day delivery (how do they do that?). This is for the F70/14's
    upload_2017-3-13_13-45-19.png

And this is for the G 70/14's
    upload_2017-3-13_13-46-45.png

They do look very nice on the little Nova, It is pouring here today but ill try to take a couple new pics later after the shining is complete.

BTW, polishing a car on a 2 post lift is the way to go. All I need is a recliner with a beverage holder.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, Houses came on went and at the end of Presence the car still isn't done, "to be a rock and not to roll" seems to be todays theme. Half done but looking wicked as mordor, the Nova is coming along nicely.
    upload_2017-3-13_21-27-6.png
    Like a red ruby. Check out that box fan in the drivers door.
    upload_2017-3-13_21-28-32.png
    Now you can check out the F70 14's up front and the G70's in the rear. mmmm, shiney!
    upload_2017-3-13_21-30-48.png
    If you look real hard that's a 1951 Wurlitzer in the fender. Rock on!
    Okay enough reflection, here are the engine bay shots...
    upload_2017-3-13_21-32-50.png
    Battery is your average run of the mill Napa cell with a plastic topper and a Delco sticker on the side. I had to cut the factory hold down and add about 3/8ths to it, weld it back up and paint it. Yeah, that's the look.
    upload_2017-3-13_21-35-14.png
    I build and own a lot of F bodies so I have a lot of parts on the shelves. I added the tower clamps, GM stamped heater hoses and bought a few correct decals for the perfect bay look. Yes that thermostat housing should be orange but the paint looked like crap on it, I glass beaded it and finished it on the wire wheel and figured I'd leave it. The fuel line, vacuum advance and heat riser tubes were all finished the same way. The gen and regulator was in the trunk, the previous owner installed an alternator. If I have time I will change it back.
    You can also see I wrapped the harness in friction tape and ditched the plastic crap that was on the Nova.
    upload_2017-3-13_21-40-23.png
    Clean, lean and not so mean. 194 at its tamest, 120 HP at the flywheel, "thank goodness it's got a compass in the stock". Yes that is the factory Roman Red on the firewall, same thing can be found in the door jambs. And no, I did not paint the motor, I got it this way.

What a nice little car. 35000 miles and one of the nicest GM cars I have ever had the pleasure of playing with.

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drove the Nova for the first time other than just from garage to garage in my back yard, a few items to take care of resulted from the shake down cruise. I did take a couple fo shots in the sun, these are still minus the trim which I am trying to straighten a bit before sticking it back on. But you get the idea.
    upload_2017-3-23_12-40-20.png
    Funny thing about this shot of the car, I thought that was the original color of the interior. I was informed by a Nova "spert" on here that my interior was so faded that the red woven inserts were now tan. Funny, I think it looks good this way. But he was right, when I removed the seats they were red were the sun hadn't beat on them.
    upload_2017-3-23_12-43-2.png
    It will be very nice with the rocker and side moldings re-installed but this is a nice look too.
    upload_2017-3-23_12-44-5.png
    I added the vintage NHRA sticker to the wing window and a vintage chrome cupped TRW tach under the dash, combined with the red lines and steelies it gives the nova some 'tude...till you open the hood. The grille isn't perfect, not even 80% but it is a lot better than nothing. '62 grilles and 400 side trim are not reproduced so you get what you get.

I took the radio out to replace the light bulb and doing the same on the cluster while I am in there. I found a nice new set of sun visors in the trunk which I installed since the originals had turned a dark maroon in the sun.

Portland Swap meet is in 3 weeks. Still have some work to do.

Attached Files:

quick85 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weekend Update:
    Trim on the Nova, trunk detailed (which wasn't too complex of a task).
    upload_2017-3-26_16-35-38.png
    Original 400 trim, has a few dings but try to find this stuff! Lucky I have it in any condition.
    upload_2017-3-26_16-37-14.png
    That is the mat I pried off the trunk floor, it was glued down a bit. Cleaned up pretty well.
    upload_2017-3-26_16-38-55.png
    Just to prove the point.
    upload_2017-3-26_16-39-49.png
    The jamb were not painted when the previous wonder had the Nova squirted, still look decent.
    upload_2017-3-26_16-41-23.png
    Trunk insulation still attached to the deck lid. One sano vert. Just a few more items to wrap up before the Portland Swap Meet. Someone is going to buy a nice little driver Nova.
    One more pic for today,
    upload_2017-3-26_16-44-26.png
    I added the TRW tach under the dash (hey, its a 120 hp 6 cylinder, you can take your eyes off the road for a few seconds to see the RPMs without missing much, hell you could probably tune in a radio station and text your friends for that matter). Speedo cluster repainted (chrome finish was crappy), radio needed a new light bulb, defroster cable needed lubing, one courtesy light bulb was burnt out. Everything works now. Using the time to prettify the driver's door panel a bit.
    And before anyone bitches about it being a restoration, it has a Vintage NHRA sticker in the wing window above.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER