Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

Thanks man!!! Shoot me a PM when you get a chance!

2. llonning

llonning

Damn!!!! Finally getting there!! This is going to be a killer rod!! Keep working on it, it's getting close!!!

3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That quickie is soooo rad looking Scott!!!! Oh and Whitey's not selling ALL of his HEMI stuff. Just enough to keep his buddy JJ competitive. He's nice like that.

4. 31whitey

31whitey

Damn...Im always the last to know....I would have bought it all....hahaha.

Seriously, finally found two I had been looking for so I freed up my grip on those two other 6x2's....ebb and flow....

GO! Scoot.

5. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Looking real good Scott. You will be power parking at the broiler and breakfast before you know it.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

Okay! Update from the weekend!

First... I got my new custom wheels from Budnik!

[​IMG]

Just kidding! ;):D Have a co-worker in the UK that's building something and had some wheels made for it. I didn't feel right even walking into Budnik to pick those up. :eek:

But seriously... All the suspensions parts are done and painted! Ready for assembly! WOOHOO!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a couple parts with a small run or two and some overspray that will eventually need some attention, but I'll wait until all is assembled to do the repairs. Nothing major and barely noticable anyway.

Now I'm getting ready to start the final frame prep. First I have to make that hoop rotisserie. Before I can roll tubes, I have to have the tubing roller I borrowed at a reasonable working height. So, I built a stand for it...

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

Enter: HF tubing roller...

[​IMG]

Using some 1" DOM tubing, some 3/8" thick plate, a short length of thick-wall 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" square tube, and some 3/16" scrap plate I had, this is how it went down...

[​IMG]

First thing, bend up some legs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then cut and square the top mounting plate. I used the mill to square it. Totally over-kill, but I'm always goot to practice machining skills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then drilled the mounting holes for the tubing roller and I'm ready to start assembly...

[​IMG]

First I centered and welded the square tube to the plate...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I clamped it quare to a table so I could tack a leg in place...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then propped it up with a jack stand and a shim, checking square in both directions...

[​IMG]

I attached the other leg, taking measurement as I went to make sure the legs are staying the same distance appart...

[​IMG]

Then once I knew it was good and square and everything looking equal, I finish welded the legs. At that point it was pretty strong, but I knew it would still need some gussets for the legs so they wouldn't flex under the load... (YES! I finally got new gloves!!! HAHA!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned them up and welded them in place....

[​IMG]

The feet also got angle cuts so it would sit right and level. They will eventually get flat feet welded to the bottom before the whole deal gets sent to it's new owner...

[​IMG]

And here's the usuable result...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's it for this weekend. Going to start working on the rotisserie tonight. Starting with rolling the tubes! WOOHOO!

8. That stand is a work of art!

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

Man... I need a better camera! Or at the very least, I need to learn how to use mine. :D That stand rules.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Crazy dude!!! The parts look so good. That black came out really nice and I am sure it's stupid strong.

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Brent, Scooter has a rad camera but even if he didn't his shit would look good because he's awesome at fab work and awesome at taking pics.

12. Weird! I also had a shortened 31 Plymouth and sold it off before I got it running with a 318/904/55 chevy rear.
    The model A is just too much. I'd imagine we'll see more shortened 4 door sedans after this.

Attached Files:

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

Thanks guys!

I have to say, I really missed just fabricating something. Painting is getting more fun as I'm getting more practice and it's nice to see a finished coat on a part that I spent tons of time on, but I just really like metal fab. Now that the mill is up and running, I've been able to do more than I was able to do in the beginning. Wish I would have had these sort of opportunities in the beginning. Maybe the chassis and everything else would have gone in a different direction. I don't know... But I'll say this... 95% of car was still built up to this point using mostly hand grinders, sanders, a welder, and basic hand tools. All this extra cool stuff helps and makes things go faster and easier, but in the end it could still all be done with basic stuff and a little help from friends! What a ride this has been so far!

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

So, JJ, you're saying you'd warrant this thread 5-Scooters? :D

Attached Files:

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You found it!!! Fuck yeah I give it 5 Scooters!!!!

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

(shaking head) Sigh... You guys are killing me! 5 "I have to Poop, faces"?? Thanks! HAHA!

17. HAHAHA Ryan needs to add one of those to the emoticons. It would be way cooler than say:(

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

19. N8B

N8B

I see your five and raise you five.

[​IMG]

Well done Scooter!

20. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Thank you. This has been saved to be used for future posts.

Looking fantastic Scott. If you want some help on assembly let me know as I am only a phone call away. Assembly on painted parts is always easier with an extra pair of hands.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Let's be clear, the Scooter Scale is base on a "Five Face" System. 5 is the highest, one is the lowest.

[​IMG]'

On another note, did you scrub all the scale off these wishbones or were they cherry?
    [​IMG]

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

Dammit Jeffy Cakes! I'm never letting you get away with taking a picture of me again! :rolleyes::eek:

SCALE! YES! I forgot to mention this!!! It deserves to be brought up because I worked my ASSSSS OFF to clean those up!!! Turned out I had a spot on the other one I touched up with the bad mix (which I think I mis-measured my reducer on). I had to sand through the entire top coat and almost down to the primer and in some places actually down to the primer. Then re-prepped and got it REAL smooooth and shot it again. Turned out GREAT this time!! Can't believe they're even the same parts!! Just a ton of work getting off that bad coat though. Little overspray on one of them, but I think I can take care of that pretty easy.

For you paint guys that are reading... For small runs I know I can take care of them with the razor blade method, block and polish. But what about over-spray? Just cut with some 1200 and then polish?

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Sorry, Scott, I should have never saved the "Scooter Scale" that JJ created. Nor should have I requested the background match the HAMB's background.

I'm bad... I'd only rate myself one Scooter face for that behavior... hahaha.

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Funny you said this because I think I had a similar result with my Generator. I painted it and it ended up not being the way I wanted it. So I scrubbed it down and shot it again. This time it came out as smooth as butter. It's almost like the first coat of paint and the primers underneath acted at filler and smoothed everything out with ease. They looks great!

25. slickshoez

slickshoez

For you paint guys that are reading... For small runs I know I can take care of them with the razor blade method, block and polish. But what about over-spray? Just cut with some 1200 and then polish?

yup 1500 or 2000 will be loads easier on you though

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

Awesome! Thanks!

27. slickshoez

slickshoez

Before you go to crazy with the sandpaper just try some compound on a rag.

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

Okay! Great! I'll do that! I appreciate the tips! :cool::cool:

29. N8B

N8B

Damn, JJ, I have really never been any good at "Following the rules"...
    Besides. "The more Scooter the better" I always say.

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad

This reminds me of the movie Multiplicity...

[​IMG]

You guys are crazy...