Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 53 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by briansbodyshop, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Simple.

Simple.
    from Troy, MI

Are you keeping that back window and/or belt line molding when you chop it? I have the same 150 2 door sedan, and I have seen only 1 other one chopped. I think they flipped the rear window upside down and re-mounted it. It was a while ago though, so pretty vague.

- Jon

2. DMacias

DMacias
    from So Cal

Subcribed... Very nice build. Thanks for sharing the info and pictures. I look forward to seeing the progress.

3. atomickustom

atomickustom

I know you went to a lot of trouble to do it this way, but you have GOT to change those spring mounts. They were like that on the Chevy from the factory because the torque tube drive shaft holds the entire rear end and won't allow it to pivot. The factory way only works with the original torque tube rear axle. (It is set up to allow the axle to move separate from the springs.)
    If you put a healthy V-8 in there, every time you stomp it the rear axle will try to twist upward and eventually it WILL tear those mounts off of the axle tubes. Seriously. You have created a big lever that will give a great amount of leverage and it'll just rip right out of the axle tubes.

They way to mount an S-10 rear end in a '49-54 Chevy is to cut off the original leaf pads and weld new ones outward to mate up with the Chevy springs. If you want extra drop, just use some 2x3" or 2x4" square tubing to make those mounts.

Everything else is looking great, but this is one of those cases where doing it like they did from the factory only works if you're not changing the transmission/driveshaft/rear axle configuration. As soon as you go to open driveline you need to mount it like a 1955 on up GM car with leaf springs.

4. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

Any updates on this project?