Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured History My Own Found Photos...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 18, 2024 at 6:45 AM.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

My Own Found Photos...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

skooch, 41 GMC K-18, Petejoe and 18 others like this.
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Been waiting for these.
    Good history.

Sharpone and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Love the Black and Whites. Not sure just why they always seem more "real" than colors. Doesn't make sense. Great stuff, Ryan.

4. hrm2k

hrm2k

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

how does film get forgotten? man I couldn't wait to get my film processed back in the day and I almost always paid up for 1 hr turn around....

6. It’s funny, in some ways I love this digital age, (when it comes to photography at least) you can instantly see if a photo is bad and delete it.

However, there is no longer the anticipation and then the excitement of seeing what you had captured.

Back in the film era I always discovered a car, an event at a show or a person I had forgotten I had photographed.

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In the 50 ,early 60s,I didn't have a camera,my Mom did "Brownie Box "for a long time,an later nearing the 60s she got a Polaroid* and a few of the little cardboard box things.
    One thing remained the same,she never got the flim devaliped tell all on roll had been taken.=Some times,that was more then a year,making the dates showing on the pics wrong by as much as a year+newer then the pic.
    Today every one has a carmera in the phone,with little to no understanding why there are not a lot more photos from the passed,other then lost or burned..
    I feel lucky,I have save the few I have,and sad about likely lost over %50 of what there was. But really thanks Mom.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I didn’t realize how bad of a photographer I really was/am. I started digging through old pics the other day….man, the 80’s were blurry.

9. RodStRace

RodStRace

Now would be a good time to mention that digital archives are not as permanent as we might expect.
    This deep into the 21st century we probably have all suffered a hard drive loss at some point. The computer adage two is one, one is none, still applies.
    This is your reminder to go get another external hard drive or do a backup to the cloud, if that's your thing. I need to do it and I know I'm not alone.
    EDIT: I got a bunch of likes already, but want to add for those of us that have been around a while. I trust any 3rd party storing my stuff as far as they can fly. How many here had a ton of stuff stored forever for free on photobucket? :mad:

Also, sharing is caring. Send those old shots to your buddies, it will provide a chance to reminisce and they will have a copy.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2024 at 5:07 PM
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Love that kind of Time Machine.

chevy57dude and Sharpone like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

so keeping them all on 4 or 5 hard drives, stored at a couple different locations, might be the way to go? That's what I do. And I transfer them to new hard drives every several years

12. lilCowboy

lilCowboy

Theres a prob 5 year run of cars i owned in the early to mid 2000's that only now exist in my memories, while i did take digital, no pictures now exist due to hard drive crash. never printed them out, didnt have social media at the time, and for what ever reason i didnt save on photobucket.

Outback, Sharpone and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  13. deuceman32

deuceman32

That Buick powered A on deuce rails is the cat's, um, meow!

Outback and Sharpone like this.
  14. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Sounds familiar
    o_O

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2024-9-18_8-48-7.png yes...

Hello,

Hard drives have been around for quite some time. The early ones had spinning discs. They are history now. So, those could have had bad juju or an error in build or moving parts. Yes, they could have crashed. We have been doing computers since they first started with floppy discs and storage. Now, that was funny. Not a lot of safety in those days with a paper sleeve as protection.

Today's solid state drives are almost fool proof. We have so many over the years and crashing is not a problem. The estimation of how much is the problem. How much or how large should one have to store things? We were all told that get the largest available, but those could crash and for some, they did. We were lucky, we never had any drives crash or freeze. But, spinning discs always had stuff that could go wrong.

The only reason I have different ones since they came out is the thought that no one is going to fill up a 50 gigabyte hard drive. Ha! Now, our solid state hard drives are 5 TB and no way is it even close to transfers and capacity. We have three for safety. Two in an emergency "go bag," and one in our safe deposit box. They all get up dated every couple of months.

It is as simple as connecting an USB plug and transfer. The speeds of the latest versions are incredible. I tried "select all" one day and whoosh, all photos/stories saved on my laptop were transferred to one solid state hard drive. Then, within a few minutes, the other two hard drives also had the updated stories and photos transferred. A shorter time than drinking two glasses of cold water on a hot day... ha!

Jnaki

Now, that is nothing. Most Apple phones saved items go directly to the Apple Cloud. So, you have saved your phone contributions. Good luck in getting access to find what you want... But, most big name corporations, Google, etc have cloud services, too. So, it is your choice. YRMV

Since all of our important papers are now digitized, they are all on the two solid state hard drives we have direct access to daily or weekly. To each his own. And... those new solid state hard drives are smaller than an expensive pack of cigarettes.

Why have a flathead underpowered motor when you can have a 383 c.i. crate motor sitting in your hot rod?

16. Two bucks for a bottle of water! Great shots, looks like great times, thanks.

41 GMC K-18 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm curious - @Ryan can you name the cast of characters in some of those photos?
    (besides yourself, of course!)

Tow Truck Tom, Tim, Spooky and 2 others like this.
  18. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I feel like this is related. Has to do with the power of forgotten photos.

@Ryan I dunno if you remember my wedding. My mom had run around and put these cheap disposable cameras at every table. At the time I thought it was dumb... no one would use em and we all had phones at that point.

Fast forward to last year. I lost my mom kind of suddenly. It sucked. In the fog of the next few months, my stepfather is cleaning through boxes and found a bag with all those cameras. They're 14 years old. Probably ruined. I took one down to walgreens to have it developed.

Only one pic came out. A little hazy, but I'm in my tux with my arms wrapped around my mom.

She hated getting her pic taken and almost never did so I have almost none of her and I as an adult. But I got this one. It's the most powerful photo in my life.

I'm getting the rest done, hopefully some folks snapped some hot rod pics! :D

19. Spooky

Spooky

Ah, yes. The dawn of the internet, and I had just discovered the Jalopy Journal and dreamt of hitting one of the big shows with my first custom Edsel attempt. Isn't it wild to think how long ago the '90's are!
    upload_2024-9-18_10-24-16.gif

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Dude. A shot one of those cameras. Like the whole roll… and Marcie got all pissed at me thinking it was inconsiderate!

I wanna see my pics!

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Rob Fortier in the roadster. The group standing around the car… Rudy(great guy) is one of them, but I can’t remember the rest. Think they were all shifters though…

22. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm on it man! :)

Tim likes this.
  23. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All that anticipation for 8 photos? Did I miss something?
    Cool, yes, but I'm still thirsty.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Grand miracles? That’s for the dreamers, the fairy tale junkies, and those that lean towards tribalism. But here? We deal in reality, man—the gritty here and now, with all its jagged edges. What’s possible, what’s tangible, what we can hold in our hands. And let me tell you, eight photos—after 25 years? Hell, I’ll take it. Could’ve been worse.

But seriously though… the kick to the gut when all that effort—hours of digging and dusting in the dark—only coughs up eight damn photos? Bummed doesn't even cover it.

Thankfully… or regrettably…. I have a whole library to sort though and this exercise can only produce more.

25. Jarek Thompson

Jarek Thompson

As a teenager, and later college kid, back then I looked up to all those guys because what they were doing seemed cool and (more importantly) it suddenly seemed attainable. All the old guys who were mentoring me back then were into crazy expensive cars with north star v8s… Cars that always didn’t look and feel right to me for some then indiscernible reason. But a high school friend both bought a model a roadster with a flathead (for $8k) and more importantly, gave me a copy of Vern and Mike Bishop’s book. Everything changed and the jalopy journal and all traditional hot rod and custom content became a daily reading necessity. So thanks to folks like Ryan, Axle & the shifters, Weesner & Burbank Choppers, shows like Paso and Ventura and especially Jay for Billetproof for getting the ball rolling and inspiring the rest of us. And no thanks to everyone who came after and jacked all the prices sky high.

Spooky and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  26. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squeak Bell ( One of the founder's of the Shifters ) at T.R.O.G. at FLABOB a couple of years ago.
    Credit to the original photographer that shot it.
    Thanks from Dennis.

Straight-Drag-Racing-10 (2).jpg

Spooky likes this.
  27. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Ryan, that title photo is showing one of the most self-satisfied smirks I've ever seen. Good on ya'. :D:cool: