Register now to get rid of these ads!

My shop progress...

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by TraditionalToolworks, Sep 16, 2024 at 12:46 PM.

1. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

These are pics of the latest progress on my shop. I still do not have electricity yet, but I just got a quote yesterday and we're moving forward.

I had a lot of machines and equipment in front of the door facing lower lake, that's the door that all the equipment needs to come in through. All of the equipment is moved away from the door, so I can literally drive my flatbed into the shop. I can continue taking machines and equipment to the new shop. This will be the new home of Traditional Toolworks in Lake County.

I will be getting the gantry setup, and eventually get the jib crane in place. I would like to put it in the corner where the parts washer is currently sitting, so that it can swing to both walls and should stick out 2 feet into the door opening. The jib crane will only life 500 lbs. so the 4000 lb. gantry will be more useful, IMO.
    lake-update-09152024-01.jpg
    lake-update-09152024-02.jpg
    lake-update-09152024-03.jpg
    lake-update-09152024-04.jpg
    lake-update-09152024-05.jpg
    lake-update-09152024-06.jpg
    lake-update-09152024-07.jpg
    lake-update-09152024-08.jpg
    lake-update-09152024-09.jpg
    lake-update-09152024-10.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2024 at 12:58 PM
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

What a view! Very nice!

TraditionalToolworks likes this.
  3. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Yes, I do have a good view from shop and especially home when I get the shell on. A lot of work, I don't have to tell you...my contractor put his turkey decoy in that last pic. it's been there for months...LOL There are a lot of turkeys, and deer too. I have pretty much as big as I can build, and the terrain is not easy to work with...a very expensive home foundation, with a 10' basement. I'm supposed to get electrical ran to the shop from my telephone pole, my single phase panel, phase converter, and three phase panel all connected. That will allow me to power equipment. I currently only have a 120v outlet at my telephone pole with a long extension going into shop.

Grading is not 100% done, but in the 7th pic it goes out of the rear shop door, down and around the basement patio and back up on the side of the septic which is shown in the 8th pic. That will go back out to the street in the front. Basically will function as turnaround for flatbed and trailer, I *HOPE*. The shop was created by getting my forklift stuck moving the electrical panels down to the patio. And yeah, I do want a car lift, as I have said about a gazillion times...LOL

We can work out a deal...I won't show your wife the view, but you can't show my wife how much space you have!!!! ;)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2024 at 10:36 PM
    Okie Pete, Roothawg and Six Ball like this.
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is great! Nice view too. I wish there was more hunt able wildlife here, What there was has mostly disappeared. Just lots of "wild" horses. Useless!

5. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Thanks Tom, as you know it's been quite a long and winding road...I'm so looking forward to having a working shop. Waiting on electrician and should start having one, gonna take more equipment up there in the meantime.:rolleyes:

6. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on building your shop . Looks great and the view is amazing

7. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Thanks, but it's been quite a long road and there's been a lot of bumps to get to this point. I bought the property in 2000. I'm still remorsing over a 4-post BendPak lift I could have got, but I still hope to get one. 4-post looks easier, but more expensive. A friend ex-wife gave it for free to a guy that knew the real estate agent...oh well. If I have to buy a new one, I will most likely go 2-post due to overall cost, but would prefer 4-post.

I would like to put a lift just inside the door entering the shop. In order to enter the rear would be odd, although the drive goes down and around the house foundation. That way if I needed to leave something on the lift, I would still have at least 20' more behind it. I don't have a lot of plans for the shop, I'm not required to insulate it, and it has Hardiboard on the outside. I need to paint it. The yellow color is primer.

Okie Pete likes this.
  8. slowforty

slowforty

I saw a program on You Tube the fellow use reflective sheets on the wall, really lit up the place

9. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

That sounds interesting. I wonder how much it costs? There are places that spray insulation in, but it's kinda costly for the amount of wall space I have.

10. noboD

noboD

I'm going to be the first to say it, it's too small. No matter how big you make them they are too small. There is a fiber roll that can be put on the ceiling. It's stapled like crazy , then has trim strips to cover the staples, and supposedly holds 300 pounds. I forget the name but if you can't find it I can get the name. I had a scrap piece from my buddy's shop, it can NOT be torn. Looks great, comes in black or white. The white really reflects light good and you can later put fiberglass insulation on top. They put it in before any junk is added, you may have to move some things. Real cheap too. I wish I had known before I built my last shop, WAY too much stuff in the way now.

11. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Yeah, no argument. This is basically all that I could afford, and even this is sketchy. This is just a fraction of my machines. My intention is to get the shop functioning, then worry about getting the log shell on the foundation. I still need to buy rafters (~$5k) and minimal framing material for the house.

Here's most of them, I've been acquiring vintage machines for about 20 years. Some are not exactly what I wanted, but sometimes a deal gets me to fire up the flat bed. LOL

http://vintagemachinery.org/members/detail.aspx?id=3052

If I had my rathers, I would want 1x6 t&g knotty pine, I put it in my 10x20 office at my current home, but I can't afford it...the 10x20 cost me about $3k for the t&g about 20 years ago. This shop would probably be about $10k to do the walls. I have another area in the basement that is 12x28, and I will use t&g in that area, as I plan to use it for hand tool work, such as assembling cabinets, making and working on handsaws...stuff like that. The shop will be used for all dimensioning, but I prefer to do all the joinery by hand...that is what led me to the log home to begin with. Think of it as a giant dovetail box, where each piece weighs about 3000 lbs.;) Once you get 6 stacked up, you have a wall.:cool: Actually you have 4 walls, because you have to build the box in rounds...6 rounds typically reaches the top plates for the style I'm building.

So I do hear you on space and how it fills up. My original plan was a 54'x54' home with round log timberframe. ~2500 sq.ft. main, ~2500 sq.ft. basement which was going to be the shop, and full wrap around 10' covered porches, yet another ~2500 sq.ft. in covered porch/decking. There was also a 16x16 third floor lookout, with a spiral staircase going from the 2nd floor to the lookout. This design, I when I came to my senses after being laid off...The home is 28x32 with an 8' covered porch on the front 32' and an 8' on the rear 32'.

I can build a raised deck that extends past the 8' on the rear, but the patio is set with post hardware in place. 8' patio on basement, 8' patio on main, 2nd floor has only a window on the bedroom. It still has $25k in windows, without the French doors (2 sets on basement, 2 sets on main). Still I will have 2408 sq.ft. of living space, and I currently have 1825 sq.ft. with 2 kids living at home.:eek: We don't feel cramped...(I'm sure a wordy f#@$)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2024 at 8:38 PM