Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NEW Identified Harry Westergard Custom 1938 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, May 2, 2011.

1. Rikster

Rikster

Harry Westergard built this fantastic looking 1938 Chevy in the late 1940's for Sal Cacciola.

[​IMG]

In 2009 James Bauwer emailed me two photos of a Grave stone of a young guy John Sal. Cacciola who died in 1950. On the stone there was a photo of a very nice 1938 Chevy.

[​IMG]

Last week Ron Brooks (1940 Chevy with original Hall top) send me two photos of a 1938 Chevy (taken in 1949) that I immediately recognized it as the car on the grave stone.

The car was from the Pittsburg CA area, so I started to ask around with people I knew from there. And soon I received confirmation on something I already suspected. Frank DeRosa (thank you Gina) was one of the people who mentioned this car was built by Harry Westergard and had an Hall padded top.

I have to say that I was pretty thrilled to see this never before published Harry Westergard Custom. Not only a small job by Westergard, but a full Custom job on a very fine looking Custom Car.

The sad story about this is that the owner of the car died in another custom car - a 1946 Cadillac - on June 25th 1950, while driving the Santa Cruz mountains. Frank DeRosa knew Sal very well, they where friends and competitors in who had the best looking custom in the area. Frank was at Sal's funeral in 1950.

Here is a close up that James took of the car on the grave stone. John Sal is sitting in front of the car. And the photos shown above where taken the same day and location as this one.

[​IMG]

These photos make you also wonder why not more of these 1938 Chevy's have been built as Custom Cars.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  2. wow thats a very nice custom, i love westergards work. he had a formula figured out that just worked

3. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Wow...what a nice car. It's always nice to see an unknown Westergard kustom appear. Great detective work rik. Here is a newspaper clipping about the tragic accident that took Sal's life from Oakland Tribune June 26, 1950.

[​IMG]

4. sololobo

sololobo

Tragic situation, wonderful car. The picture on his gravestone shows his love for the ride. R.I.P. BROTHER. ~sololobo~

5. Rikster

Rikster

The news paper clipping is nice... I had not seen that.

6. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

That sure is an awesome find, Rik...what a cool '37!!
    Thanks for sharring them!!:cool:

7. customcory

customcory

8. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

9. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Beautiful car.

10. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A very rare car even before it was customized. I've never seen one of his cars that I did not like!

11. Rikster

Rikster

Here is a larger 3/4 front photo of the Chevy...
    That 1946-47 Packard grille fits these 1937-38 Chevy bodies perfect... hint, hint!

[​IMG]

12. Very cool find Rik. Really is a great looking car. Any you are right the grill fits these cars really well.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm a bit confused. Is the car still around in it's original Westergard custom shape?

knotheads likes this.
  14. Rikster

Rikster

So far I have not been able to find a trace of the car, if it is still around today, or not. I hope it still is...

15. Greaty find.......sad story!!! Love the look of that car. Not all cars look better laying on the running boards!!!

16. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Beautiful car. I love how the sunken headlights bring the body line from the lower cowl/door up forward. That is understated perfection.

17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

The fact that those boys nailed the Kustom aesthetic so long ago is so amazing to me. It's almost impossible to improve on that late forties, fifties look.

18. Another Great thread Rik...... thanks. Another example of the elegance of a Harry Westerguard Custom.

19. customcory

customcory

Makes you think about putting your car on a headstone , don't it? :D

20. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Very cool story. Thanks Rik. Slim

21. BigFinCad

BigFinCad

Great story Rik. For me, this is the HAMB at its best!!!

Rich

22. 296ardun

296ardun

Rik, you are the master of custom memories, and finding new stuff that otherwise would be lost in the mists of history...THANKS!!

23. Very cool ride. I love it.

24. Rik, thank you for sharing this story... wonder what ever happened to the car ? That was one cool ride.

25. R&C RON

R&C RON

Hey Rik.....Each piece of the puzzle came together on this one,always thought this was a great looking chevy!
    RON

26. Rikster

Rikster

Here is the side shot of the 1937 Chevy a bit larger.
    I really love this car a lot. The lines are just perfect. From the side the flow of the Packard grille is absolutely perfect as well. The shape of the front fenders, the sunken headlights, the smooth hood sides and the "teardrop shaped" character line on the cowl and door flow so perfectly together...

[​IMG]

27. Rikster

Rikster

It sure does Ron.... and hopefully we will find out more with more photos of this one soon.

Thanks for sharing these incredible photos!

28. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

This make's me want a custom. Great post by the way. Todd

29. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Great post Rik ! I hope more pics are found of this rare Chevy. they made a little over 1700 convertibles in 37, so they were rare even when new. I had a 38 Chevy convertible, they made about 2800 in 38. Thanks for the post ! :)