Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Heres a few more items ive found in the old boys stash that hes loaned me... i really like the comments on the time cards...my favorite says "seven bent exhaust valves".. Im really getting to appreciate the level of performance all the cars of the era had. It occurs to me what would have happened w/ the nine inch radial slicks and compounds available to todays cars.. Let alone camshaft technology ect.. compare some of the records of the day that colesy posts and some of the modern class records....Not that different given the 40 plus years......AMAZING !!!!

Attached Files:

2. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

mentioned time cards....

Attached Files:

3. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Heres a cool colorized Stahl and Associates catalog. Shows Arlen Vanke, Larry Lombardo and Bill Jenkins cars on cover....some ad text (check out pricing!!) Bo Laws Corvette ect...

Attached Files:

4. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Chris, BillW emailed me about your wanting to know the whereabouts of your old Camaro. I talked to Frank Cantuci tonight and as I suspected Scotty Payne had your car and ran it as an auto and then put it away for quite a while. Someone bought it and put it on the street and now it is at a Town and Country Chrysler, I do not see it in the for sale areas, but here is a link to the dealership, Henry.
    http://www.townandcountrychrysler.com/

5. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Roger, I sure do LOVE those photos! :D As for the comment of 7 bent exhaust valves, well that comes with a retarded cam (late closing exh). Good for a high rpm motor, but after the switch, a little clay on the piston is in order to check it. I have an '09 with a cresent in every piston from an exhaust valve after a Crower "Super Stock" cam was installed. The cam had a built-in 5deg retard, and without knowing it, the double roller timing set also had a 5 deg retard in it (do the math). Most people don't know that the double roller gear set was stock on W motor truck motors (with the 5deg retard from the factory), so the gear sets sold to everyone else had the same design and also had the same retard built in. (and they still do today, for anyone who's building an '09 now!) There were a LOT of people back then who didn't degree their cams. They found out the hard way.:):confused:
    Verne

6. Dan Parker

Dan Parker
    from Salem Al.

Jimmy Parker is my father, I don't remember this car. I was born in 1970, I remember always coming home and dad working on them and no telling what kind of a race car or any car would be in the drive-way. Dad is doing good and still building and racing cars,Stockers always. I grew up at the drag-strip. I used to ride in the racecar from the house to the strip in the car while on a ramp truck,it was only about 5 miles..LOL Dad said he is going to register soon and chime in..Thanks,Dan

7. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Dan, great to have you onboard. I sent your dad a PM on Classracer inviting him to join in. Will be nice to have another racer involved.
    Bob Rice

8. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Dan -
    nice to hear from you. Its been a lotta years since i talked with your dad or Sherman!
    Please tell him Hi from me - and be sure to show him the pix of my ( his old) car. I'll bet he will be surprised when he finds out that I still have the car!! I have a few 'in action" pix of the car to post. They are pretty far away and very hard to make out the car but on close inspection you can tell it is the black 66 4dr at National Trail.
    The car is in the back of my shop covered with a tarp and had been there since I quit racing in in 1979! Probably could put some fresh gas in it and fire it up!! LOL - I;m sure you were wearin 3-cornered pants the day I came to your house to pick up the car. I remember your mom being there - but cant remeber a baby!! Get him registered on here and hopefully he has a lot of old pix of his, Chris's, and Sherman's cars to share with us all!!
    Tweed

9. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Nah, Verne... this wasnt a case of not knowing or checking cam degree or piston to valve clearance.... That was something pop was doing a far back as the fifty's when he worked at Joe Wolf's engine shop(Joe was an engine builder for some of nascar elite in the day,Fonty Flock,Lee Petty..ect) That incident as he explained was a stuck throttle, wide open at the end of a pass and kicking the car out of gear before he realized it was stuck !!! Keeping in mind stock spring pressure was really low by rules, and they were running piston to valve pretty tight... Im sure the lifter left the cam surface by a good clip !!! ha ! As far as the 409 info, thanks.... had no clue. Ive never built one but will try and keep it to memory should i get the chance...Roger Jr.

10. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Here are a few Tom Kasch pictures posted with his permission.

Attached Files:

rumblegutz likes this.
  11. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Bob Luck's Little Terror 57' after sold to Charlie Lutz. Paul Albert and a car full of Trophy's... Including Indy! News clip of Charlies Biscayne. An original trophy decal indy 68' And a few national event decals..... Im hunting any pictures/records/stuff... for these cars if anyone has anything at all... 57'nomad ran f/mp driven by Harold Dunn. 62 impala hardtop 409 named Zorro, driven by Ed Showalter 57' sedan delivery white driven by Skip Bechtel 55 chev.150 2dr sedan orange and grey lace driven by Skip Bechtel 57' chev. orange named little hot stuff driven Charlie Lutz. 65 corvette silver named Titan 2 driven Dan Saul Skip Bechtels 64 corvette snake charmer.......

Attached Files:

12. colesy

colesy

Did we ever find out if Stormalong and the Stage Coach 55 were the same car. Gary Westfall was involved with both. Any Division 1 guys remember? The b/w photo was taken at Niagara in 67. Grandadio (Lee), you're an old Niagara guy, do you have any recollection?

Attached Files:

13. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You can't beat those 1960s-style ads! No way, Jose!

Thanks for posting, Roger!

Pete

P.S. Also, those class winner and manufacturer decals--coolest-looking ever!! What else would you expect from drag racing's and America's best ever (for the most part) era?

14. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Me too. I can't attach a name to it at this moment. Whoever it was must've been hanging around this guy. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Dig the Hurst wheels on Grump's race car trailer!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Not 'til you mentioned it, Colesy. Needless to say, cool-looking!

Pete

16. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Im glad you guys enjoyed the stuff.... I keep going thru the stuff he's got(which isnt as much as i'd hoped) And will continue to post things i find... It really has brought memories from my youth around the cars and shops my dad worked out of... One memory i cant forget is being a kid at Joe's Amoco on rt 422 in reading where buckshot lived. They used to let me play in the car and some old junkers to keep me "occupied" (out of the road!!!) to short to see out the windshield and no way to reach the pedals.... The most vivid memory is the smell of used drain oil keep in drums behind the station and baked in the sun. Is that crazy? i was just a kid but i def. remember that place..... That reading eagle photo was taken in front of Carl Ruth's shop In Kenhorst Pa. Carl is Still there !!! He had many a race car and at one point was driving Jungle Jims funny car....

17. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

More web finds...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

18. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

19. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

(Ralley Bob photo)

Pete

20. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

(Ralley Bob photo)

Pete

21. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

More web finds...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

22. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

23. biscaynes

biscaynes

great bunch of picts pete! ;)

24. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

You're welcome, sir!

Pete

[​IMG]

25. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I never, ever, knew Doc Burgess had this car! I just remember (reading about) his Bill Jenkins' tuned and driven
    1965 A-990 Hemi Plymouth Belvedere.

[​IMG]

Btw, who drove this car?

Pete

26. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

pete - inre: Pic of Hole Shot 66 442 --
    Pete - This is a car from my neighborhood( Hole Shot 66 442) and raced at our local track Magnolia, OH dragstrip. They raced out of Huebner Chevrolet-Olds in Carrollton, OH. The car was co-driven by Norm(Sonny) Tannerand co-owner Gene Dunlap, who went on to be a long-time driver of different Rod Shop modified and comp elim cars. His nephew is Ray Dunlap that is a reporter and interviewer on SPEED Channel covering Nascar races. Gene also ran a 66 W-30 track pak car that was white and called White Tornado. Maybe i can find a pic?
    [​IMG]
    Found the pic but cant seem to get it to load. Ill email it to you and maybe you can get it to post!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  27. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Pete, great pics. Keep up the good work. I just had to touch these two up a bit. Hope you don't mind. And I love color shots!
    Bob

Attached Files:

28. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

pete - heres the shot of Dunlaps White Tornado [​IMG]

29. Rocket Surgeon

Rocket Surgeon
    from Central NJ

Note the sticker by the rear bumper in the black and white picture of the Hole-Shot 442. Also the Stage Coach II looks to me like the Monster Mash II. See the stripes on the roof. It's like the Jenken's,Wheatly Bros. paint scheme of 1966 and the shot of the Mash in the staging lanes at Bristol in '66 with the shoe polish lettering job.

30. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Pete/Mark/Bob Another pic I took at 71 Nationals! [​IMG]