Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy

X2
    RIP Joe. You were a hero to us little guys

2. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

HI KEITH BERG . JAKE here on the east-coast. i am former mechanic for KEN + JACK WORRELL (BROS.) you may have heard of them. i agree with you on overdueing the early HYDRO.back in the mid 60"s .i ask JOE PIRRONE of BOSS-HYDRO.fame (PHILA.) to do a trans. for me .at 5,000 RPMS shift points the engine almost stalled .JOE's unit was too good for us .it slowed us down.went back to stock rebuild. THANKS--JAKE

3. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy

picture test

This is Phil Coopers 57 with a Jenkins engine

Attached Files:

4. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

We raced the Worrels many times at Island. Jack had the stickshift wagon and Ken had a sedan or hdtop with a hydro. Jack won many times with that old wagon. I think it ran in the 17's and the other car ran maybe in the 16's. We ran high 14's usually in I/SA

We used a Vitar Hydro in the Pie Wagon and I used to adjust the pressure regulator with spark plug washers to raise or lower the trans. pressure. If it was too hard it would bog the motor on the 2-3 shift......to soft and it would slide......usually did that pretty reguarly.

We also had a manual locking choke type cable down to the trans instead of a link from the carb for throttle pressure. It was not a good setup and eventually we got a custom made linkage deal from our friends who also raced sedan deliveries.....Walt Toewes and Lou Cuviello.....

5. Lou, do you know if they took any more photos, or is there any way to find out? So far I do not have one photo of the Patrick Bros. car in action, would be great to find one!
    -Dean

6. cockerham

cockerham

The Sielski car is Charles Cockerham of West Chester, Pa.

7. Hey does anyone have any pics of jr. stock '65/'66 Mustang Fastbacks?? ....or any other class competition Fastbacks for that matter...
    -Dean

8. colesy

colesy

Hey Dean;
    I posted this one earlier on. I'll find some more this weekend.
    "Bill Salveta's F/Stock 65 Mustang out of Detroit Michigan from Racing Pulse Magazine 1968".

Attached Files:

9. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Took some pics at the recent Vargo Raceway reunion and hope to post them soon.... A fun day w/a bunch of great cars...

10. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

cool can't wait
    :cool:

11. 65deluxe

65deluxe

12. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I was just wondering how many "OLD FARTS" or young ones are restoring, building a clone or their own version of a 50's, 60's, and up to around 1971 (The Jr. stock years) Jr. stock car to race in one of the local Nostalgia programs? MANDRA, NETO, Mark Y.'s west coast races, etc. and several others through out the USA. They dont have to be 100% "Legal" but they should at least LOOK like they were raced back in the day. Just something I was thinking about and was looking for some conversation over the Thanks Giving Holidays.

13. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

I'm putting a 283 in a 57 like they would have in 69, not a high dollar car that you are afraid to sit in or race but like the guy's would have built at home . :)

14. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Here's one for our Canadian members -- Bill, Doug, Bob, Henry and all the other fine folks.

Guess who this team was. Hint ... they had much success in 1970-72, and they were based in Manitoba.

Attached Files:

15. The guess who before Bachman quit

16. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

You mean back in the day when they had trouble getting people to come to the High School Dance , so they advertised on the PA "Guess Who is coming to the dance" . I wasn't waisting my $3 on a band that I never heard of ...................... :confused:

Looking back, maybe I should have went.

17. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Congratulations, that was 'hole shot' quick!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. that's what my wife says!

19. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

I saw them at the "Hard Rock Quarry," outside of Buffalo.

20. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

Ive got a 56 sedan delivery that I have set up with the JR. STOCK vibe maybe not 100% correct, but visualy looking like its from around 67-70 (I cant afford dual wcfbs or early f.i. unit, and although I would kill to have a hydro its just not in the budget) with hooker fenderwells,Cragars, ansen groundgrabbers, vette v/c, J&N SPEED CENTERS lettering (a speed shop in Whittier Ca. I would hang around in untill I bothered them enuf that they would ask me to leave!) with more lettering to come. future plans callfor a265-283 JR.STOCK type buildup (car now has 350-4 speed in it) as soon as I can figure out how to post pics,I willpost some I would like to get some opinions, tosee if Im getting the vibe down! Also I have some Hurst re-pop cheaters on it now but Im not sure those are period correct, I also have some cherry Casler cheaters, Would those be more period correct? ( I bought these from a freind who bought them new about 67 and had them stored in dark dry storage untill I bought them FOR $50.00!!!!)

21. Herdez

Herdez

I got the idea from this thread awhile back. I'm currently building a 55 its a slow process to find the right period correct stuff.

I have to say it the best fun in years to rebuild old hipo stuff and period correct stuff than to just by new stuff and be done with it.

22. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

i can find almost everything i need for mine.AFFORDING everything for mine is a totally different story.

man those dual quads,arm and a leg? Naaaaaaaaaa that will be a pair of nad's!

Actually racing mine,never thought about it really.Cause the kind of racing i have always done is NOT an option(name). But i suppose a run or 2 down the track WOULD be in order

:cool:

23. 65deluxe

65deluxe

I bought the album "again' recently just for the sleeve. I figure it would look good framed. The band had minimal success in the US with songs such as American Woman, Laughing, No Sugar Tonight, Clap for the Wolfman etc. One of my favorites is actually on this album, Sour Suite.

24. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Thanks Steve for the quiz, I stared at the pic's and drew a blank!!!, seniors moment I GUESS(WHO?).

25. colesy

colesy

Gene Collins was an Eastern racer who Terry (X-Tech Man) mentioned earlier on in this thread. The article is from the November 67 issue of SS&DI magazine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  26. colesy

colesy

As per Dean's request, here's another first generation Mustang fastback. I believe this is the wife of the Ford Team sponsored Bill Ireland of Portland Oregon.

Attached Files:

27. Wagon Killer- I hope to some day race the "In-Bomber" against "Buckshot" and the "Tokyo Rose" again, would be so cool to see. Just "fun" passes though, I think our cars have seen enough abuse for their time and are lucky to still be around. Let us not forget the recent fate of the "Chicken Hawk"...

Colesy- thanks for the pics! I'm debating wether or not to sell my '65 or turn it into a period correct jr. stocker, lettering and all... thoughts?

-Dean

Attached Files:

28. colesy

colesy

You're welcome Dean. What a great car you have there! My vote is turn it into a period Stocker and have a ton of fun with it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  29. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

We were partners on a new dealer sponsored 1971 383 Dodge Challenger in 1971. It ran the same class as the "Behemoth" 62 Dodge wagon of Pratt and Burkett. The record at the time was a 12.65. Our first pass on it with the new Cline Automotive engine was a 12.27 late in the year. It took forever to get the car then and almost as long to get the engine back from the engine shop. Then the axe dropped and stock turned into Super Stock in 1972 thanks to NHRA and we were dead meat. Gene went thru a divorce later and moved to Fla. Ive lost track of Gene since then and have heard he may have been in a fatal car accident in Fla. (?) many years ago.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  30. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

If the Chicken Hawk had not been trying to rotate the earth and ran it as it was designed or just a little quicker for fun it would still be with us. 9 second runs with 140 + MPH speeds is a no no unless the car was built with a tube chassis and/or designed to go fast. The "Need for Speed" is what killed the Hawk.