Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

"A/S? seems alittle ways away from the lower class stocks. What would one consider the cut off for Junior Stock?"

There used to be 2 stock eliminators. Top stock eliminator which included SS/S SS/SA S/S S/SA AA/S AA/SA . Super Super Stock was dropped about 1963 or 64
    Replaced with S/S and S/SA AA/S and AA/SA. Classes below that were in Junior Stock Eliminator
    When NHRA added additional super stock classes the had their own " Super Stock Eliminator" division. and the name junior stock eliminator included A through N stock
    after the hp to weight breaks were changed it included A through X stock...

confused yet????

2. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Thanks for the additional history lesson old tech

3. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

I will throw this in the mix:

Sports cars used to have their own classes, AA/SP through F/SP they raced in Street Eliminator.
    Starting in 1967 they were moved to stock classes and therefore Junior Stock Eliminator.

As hard as this may be to believe the B/FX and C/FX Factory Experimental cars also raced in Junior stock until NHRA dropped the classes at the end of the 65 season. We are not talking about the altered wheelbase cars.

A/FX raced in top stock eliminator

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  4. unklgriz

unklgriz

I must say, this has got to be one of the best and informative threads that is out there. I really like all of the info on the stock classes that alot of you are sharing. Don't get me wrong, I love the Slingshots and Funny Cars as much as the next guy, but there was always something about the stock classes that was just plain fun to see.

Thanks to all of you that are sharing your knowledge with the rest of us!

Larry

5. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

We thank you Larry! It's nice to get a bit of (positive) feedback -- helps keep the thread 'alive'!
    By the way, see the 'SS/FX' thread ( http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247089&highlight=super+stock+fx ) yet? Unfortunately, it has 'fizzled' a bit lately, but contains some really great information!
    And ... (RE: 'Legends' of the sport) ... have you read this excellent piece yet ... http://www.nhra.com/50th/top50/B_Jenkins08.html ?

6. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

'Mystery' Div 1, SS/?A car. I took this shot 'around' 72/73 @ E-Town. Could it be one of Dave Boertman's old 'Rod Shop' Jr. Stock '383' Mopars that was 'converted' to SS?

[​IMG]

7. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Ed Wright's N/S '56 Chevy from Oklahoma. Ed is still racing and works on the computers in a lot of the FI Stockers and Super Stockers.
    [​IMG]

8. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

"Ed Wright's N/S '56 Chevy from Oklahoma. Ed is still racing and works on the computers in a lot of the FI Stockers and Super Stockers"

Great shot Bob! I 'added' Ed. Wonder who's the 61(?) Corvette?

9. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

I believe the name was Gus Philipich (sp). I may have a picture somewhere. I've been looking at a few old CDs this morning and found a lot of pics that were posted on the Stk/SS group years ago.
    Bob

10. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Nomination: Ronnie Evans' '62 Impala 409/380hp "Wildfire", B/S record holder. Gilbertsville, Pa.
    I'm on his team with his current Wildfire car. One day, I'll borrow some of his early photos and post them.
    His first car was bought as a used car in '62, then after the Army ('65-'67) he bought the old Zorro car and remade the 2nd Wildfire. It was sold, then another Impala was purchased which is the car he races today.

Last year photo: (me)

[​IMG]
    Verne:)

11. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Frank Iaconio's "Banana 1". Not sure if he still owned it in this picture or if this was after it was sold to Bob Dennis. Word has it that this car was crushed.
    [​IMG]

12. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Wayne Walker's "Mr. Zip" at Indy.
    [​IMG]

13. I was just about to ask if anyone had a photo of Frank's '57 "Banana". I ran against that car a couple of times in "stock eliminator #2" to unfavorable results on my part. Thanks for posting. Bob

14. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

This is actually an early picture as it is running D/S
    When he sold the car it had a 250 hp engine with a powerglide

15. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Sure some terrific photos Bob! And a really-great B/S Impala image 'WGuy.' Our 'List' is certainly growing and becoming (as it should be) much-more diversified -- pretty representative of the staging lanes of many NHRA tracks back in those days! 'About' the only combo that I see missing from 'The List' so far are the mid/late '60s -through early 70s, 273/340 Cu. In. Mopars. They certainly didn't proliferate, but there were more than a few that were (to say the least) 'very-strong' cars. Two that I recall were a very 'creative,' (usually) way-under-the-record 9-passenger! 180 HP (*2-bl), 273 Cu. in. Plymouth wagon (T, U, or V/SA), and one 340 Cu In 'Duster' that was called "The Riddler." Both were very-well respected (and feared) race cars.

PS: Anyone remember a driver/owner(s) name from the 'killer' Early-Olds 'Squadron' from the Memphis, TN based, Racing Head Service? And, we need a driver's name for the 'Hemby's Body Shop' (55 Chev) car. Thanks!

16. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Here's the Coletti "Riddler". The "Hemby's Body Shop" '56 was owned by Ed McGlawhorn. Could that be the LAW '58 sedan delivery beside the Duster?
    [​IMG]

17. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Norm Fryer's '66 Biscayne.
    [​IMG]
    John James' '66 Biscayne
    [​IMG]
    Jerry Stein's '63 Plymouth
    [​IMG]
    The Truppi-Kling "Terrible Tangerine" 57 wagon
    [​IMG]

18. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Now don't we feel stupid for forgetting Jerry Stein? One of my better pan shots taken at the 1979 Super Stock Nationals, York.

[​IMG]

19. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Bob,

You got the jump on me in posting Jerry's photo. I was touching up some faded color while you were posting.

20. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Earlier, I said the winning Stock at Delmar on any weekend was difficult as there were always a bunch of record holders and event winners in attendance. Here are a couple photos to give you an idea. These were taken around 1970-71.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

This is not a good photo, but the only one I have of Paul Longnecker's venture into Pro Stock. I can't remember if this was before or after the 1960 Pontiac wagon running E/MP.

I didn't get to Atco many times so this must have been in 1970, the same event where Tony Pizzi set the E/S record at 11.68

[​IMG]

22. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

Ted harbit stude moved to the west coast it was PEA GREEN i remember it had INDY CLASS WINNER DECALS ON IT. I had a conversation with him about it at SEARS POINT RACEWAY PROB 1974 SAME CAR SAME GUY.

23. 65deluxe

65deluxe

This thread just keeps getting better!!

[​IMG]

24. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

Tin Indian III. Bill Abraham driver.

25. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Tom,
    Sorry about that but your color picture is much nicer!
    Bob

26. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

" ... Now don't we feel stupid for forgetting Jerry Stein?"

... yes:eek:, and about 84 others!;)

27. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Steve,
    You need to add Bud Rowe's name to the list. He bought Garley's '57 210 sedan when Garley joined the National Guard and also owned Bobby Warren's "Top Cat" '57 210 sedan, a '57 sedan delivery named "The Wagonmaster" and had a '69 Nova that was named "Hot Shot" which is in the background of the "Croc-a-gator" picture that was taken at Blaney, SC.
    Bob Rice

28. biscaynes

biscaynes

anyone know this car/driver...

Attached Files:

29. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Bob (or any of you 'older' Jersey, Pa, De, Md, or Va guys), a question:
    Did Jack 'Doc' Doughtery own this (Truippi/Kling preped) back car then?
    I remember it after (*Baltimore racer) *Bill Neidercades(sp) bought it from him. Bill and I took it to Suffolk Va for the 'Little Guy Nats,' but qualified 33 (tough bunch!), in the 32 car field -- no 'class' runs, just qualifying, and then the eliminator. I 'think' that was the first 'Little Guy Nationals' ... Fall 1971.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  30. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Steve,
    I have no idea. I didn't make my first trip to Suffolk until 75. All of my drag racing experiences up until then were local and from what I read in SS&DI. I sure do miss that magazine.
    Bob