Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. biscaynes

biscaynes

here's another '69 chev, can't make out the name on the door...tommy???

Attached Files:

2. IndyWinner

IndyWinner
    BANNED
    from So. Cal.

Looks like the xmas tree is falling over.....:confused:

3. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Yes i do agree! I hope mine looks that good when i'm done.

:cool:

4. Mike Delahanty

Mike Delahanty

Given that the Lee Sherman Memorial Race is this weekend, I thought it may be appropriate to pay some tribute to him. Here is a photo of Lee's P/SA 66 Chevy convertible at Cecil County in the fall of 1975. Lee was one of the guys that helped me figure out a number of things about Stockers. At the time I was just 19 and along with my 16 year old partner Mike Tancredi we put together a 396-325 Biscayne that ran under the index - and did it on a shoestring. Lee gave us this 66 Biscayne body. I think he had just about every possible 66 fill size Chevy body. I remember he had blue 66 wagon along with the 4-door and convertible.

Lee Sherman Cecil 1975.jpg

This is the 66 Biscayne at Cecil County. We spent what $$ we had on the engine. We put in a used 9" powerglide from Frank Jordan at the York National Open and picked up 2 tenths and the car ran under the record.

Shiftless Cecil 1975 -2 .jpg

It was guys like Lee that helped a couple of young kids get hooked on Stockers. One lesson from Leee has always stuck with me. He said that you always need to gve the Tech Inspector something to find - and make it something obvious. That way they feel they have done their job and won't keep searching for the stuff you don't want them to find. One more Lee Sherman Story - When he wa running his SS/X 57 Chevy Wagon, he had a faucet valve in the back of the intake as his "leaking device" He would just open and close to tune the car.

5. racemad55

racemad55

Just start a new topic ,title it " sunday models" then post your pics! or do a forum search for sunday models and add them to that one, I know these gearheads will like them! Rick

6. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Sanitary is the word that best describes both the '56 and the '65. That ramp truck would be nice to have today, especailly with the panel on there!

7. fanspete

fanspete

Elmer Wells' '55 on the entrance/exit road at White Hall, IL. At this yrs. WHDOW Reunion, Elmer was voted 'biggest cheater' at White Hall Drag-O-way! He wore the 'Cheater' t-shirt all day with pride!!!
    [​IMG]

8. [​IMG]

Mark who?

9. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Can anyone provide more information on this car? I'm intrigued by the "Hand off bat aluminum" on the front fenders.
    Was the front end aluminum? I've not heard of aluminum body panels on bodies that late. Early '60s, yes, but late '60s?
    I'm wondering if it was totally a play on words: "bat car," aluminum base ball bats, body panels make from aluminum... Anybody know?

-Brad

10. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Yea, I'd like to have that combo parked in my backyard.
    Bob Rice

11. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Andy Kish. Reed Koeppe photo.
    [​IMG]

12. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Midwest action. Reed Koeppe photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

"Bat Car" is probably a reference to the Batman TV show that was popular at that time. Batman swept the popular culture for a short time when it first aired in 1966. The aluminum claim could have been a tactic to intimidate the competition since I also doubt that there were any alloy body panels available for Camaros at that early date. That's just a guess on my part though.

14. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Wow, Andy Kish had a '57 Chevy? My wife works with Andy's wife and he always talked about racing Mopars. I just printed off the picture so it will get handed over to Andy's wife.

15. How about Terry Strickler, Dave's cousin in a '58 Chevy?

16. Mike Delahanty

Mike Delahanty

Steve - I drove your Chevelle one night at Cecil County. It was a SS/MA car at the time. I was a friend of Lee Sherman - he have me his 4-door 66 Chevy that we tuned into a H/SA car. See my post from earlier today on Lee.

17. Mike Delahanty

Mike Delahanty

Andy Kish became locally famous at Atco, Englishtown and Maple Grove with his B/SA 63 Max-Wedge car. Running out of Trenton Speed Shop Andy won lots of Stock Eliminators at Atco. It was a two tone purple. It left with the rear half of the leaf springs about 8-10" apart. Anybody got any photos of Andy in the Max-Wedge?

18. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Anyone know who this is? Tom Myl photo.
    [​IMG]

19. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Bobby Warren's "Top Cat" '57 210 hardtop. Reed Koeppe photo.
    [​IMG]

20. Mike Delahanty

Mike Delahanty

It's Dynamite - Driver - Dom Rinaldi.

21. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Thanks!
    Bob

indyjps likes this.
  22. i raced sunday at the "Lee Sherman" memorial. your list may never be complete without "Tex Miller" (72 F/SA mustang). Vic Guilmino (72 F/SA mustang) Harry Huntzberry (D/SA 67 Camaro) lets see if we can recall more names from the past who are "still out there"
    BTW: east coast drag news photo man "Mashi Mihalki" was there snapping pics all day. I even made it thru the first 3 rounds. but i did'nt see any of you guys there? were you?

PS: thanx for the Bobby Warren picture. he was one of the first to sign the aircleaner lid on my 409-425 car along with dyno Don, grumpy Jenkins, Ronnie Sox, Malcolm Durham, Bud Fauble, Sam Auxier, Ronnie Anderson, Tommy Howes, Tom Sneden, Dave Reitz, Chick DeNinno, bullet Bob Reed, Bruce Larson, jungle Pam, Linda Vaughn, Hubert Platt, Jack Weller (lustine chevy "price fighter", Herb McCandless and a few more. good thing it's a big air cleaner over the 2X4 409

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  23. here a shot from a few weeks ago. I'm proud to have so many "hall of famers" like my old 09 car well enough to sign it.

Attached Files:

24. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Bob,

Thanks for reminding me of Tex Miller, et al. That also brought to mind Bill Hawk, whom I think is still running as well.

I met Moshie at the Dutch Classic and I cuss him when I view my photos taken from the stands. He's in every one! Here's one of him at work.

Attached Files:

25. On a side note, here's some shots from Connecticut Dragway (later CT International Raceway) taken just a few weeks ago, "Jack The Ripper" B/MP '59 Ford.
    -Dean

Attached Files:

26. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

HI Mike, Yes, I certainly-do remember you! And yes, I saw that post -- very-nice job! If you look back earlier on this thread you'll see several other references to Lee. Below are 2 (sorry, not very clear) pics ... both taken in front of my garage about 2-years apart.

I was getting ready to *paint Lee's (later yours) Biscayne sedan GMC's *'Blue-Toned White.'

That's Lee with the dust mask on (his forehead) and me wet-sanding the roof. 'Happy Daze'!

The other pic, taken September 1976, was my Chevelle as a SS/MA car just after returning home from Mason Dixon -- my daughter Karen 'insisted' that it should 'at least' be 'squirted' off!

Barely visible (in the garage) is the the back of Lee's, former Kenny Koonce, '66 Convertable. (*Lee was 'garageless,' at the time). By the way, who 'ended up' (after you) with this car?

PS: Haven't heard from Linda Sherman since she phoned to tell me about Lee's untimley demise ... is she 'OK'?

Attached Files:

27. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

I do believe that Paul raced a Corvette in modified production, had trouble with wheelstands and put the motor in the big wagon. I think it was after that he went pro stock racing. It'd be nice to see a picture of Hickernell, Speary and Bolton's 57 chevy 4 door the Wild Wild Wagon and John Ligenfelter's old Decatur Daily Democrate Camero

28. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Bob, RE: " ... he had a camaro stocker very very sucessful then in the early 80's he switched and spent all of his time racing a citation X11."

Might that have been Lee Sherman? About that time, Lee was running a Camero, and his wife Linda was campaigning a Citation as (this was so great!) "MADAM X."

These were the later, 'post' JUNIOR Stock days.

29. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Great Bob -- Congratulations on getting through 3 rounds -- bet it was a tough field!

No, I didn't make it. Might have been nice seeing some of the 'ole guys,' but I've never been much of a spectator.

Bob, as to " 'Tex' Miller (72 F/SA mustang). Vic Guilmino (72 F/SA mustang) and Harry Huntzberry (D/SA 67 Camaro)" I remember them -- all excellent racers, but (I'm not sure) weren't they all NHRA 'Stock' class cars (IE: after the earlier 'Junior Stock' days) ?

30. another forum member cleared that up here, you may have missed the post. answer: Bill Drevo

sorry you did'nt make it Steve. but i understand.

you added some names i forwarded but i'll probably stop submitting because i dont think i know the criteria. just kicking out names of guys i know who ran stockers.