Register now to get rid of these ads!

not a low rider

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by padorey, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Sauli

Sauli

No disrespect intended, but that right there, is just LMAO-kind-of FUNNY!!!:)

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

damn lowriders, get off my lawn.

3. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Somebody once tole me that i had a good lookin' mustang when what really had was a 72' nova, i just smiled and said thanks no sense in trying to explain it to them just let them be.

4. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

the other day at Lowes, there was a BEAUTIFUL 29 pick up/hot rod. In the parking lot there was some dude going nuts over it. When I walked out he asks, is that your ROADSTER? Itold him no and its not a roadster. he continued to ask the next 5 people if that was their roadster? Some people just dont have a clue but its still fun!!

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

Good looking Buick but honestly somebody who don"t know anything about cars except what they see in magazines and on Tv wouldn"t know the difference anyway but hell 75% of the idiots walking around the car shows don"t know the difference between a 55 and 57 Chevy.

6. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Ummm! Arent we building lowriders??????????

7. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

No,not all of us. Not all Kustoms have to "lay frame"!;)
    Paul

8. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

So what do you do when they call your Kustom a Custom?

9. Da Injun

Da Injun

Why do you really give a fuck? Plenty of folks, in fact I say the majority are not "car people" but they can still respect and appreciate an old car. They hear/know a few car terms and use them, sometimes incorrectly, but what is the big deal?

Would you rather have someone who knows or thinks they know everything about cars come up to you state exactly what kind of car and catergory it fits under and procede to blast the shit out of the car? Plenty of people on this forum have mentioned people coming up to them at car shows and complimenting the owners ride, but quickly jumping to, "Well if it was my car, I would do this.......

And even though yo never made any mention of a compliment, it was still someone taking notice in your car, and that to me is still a compliment...and when it comes from someone who really is not a "car person" I find that a more enjoyable than from a fellow hot rodder.

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Very witty, I like that:D
    . Paul

11. Malarky

Malarky

I brought my 62 Merc to a show at a veterans hospital, main reason being I wanted to help support the place since they took care of my step-dad and thats where he spent his last days. One old man walked up to my car and said to me with a shit attitude "what do you call this thing, a lowrider? Then he gave my car one last nasty snare and hobbled off. I wanted to smash his fucking face.
    I love lowriders. I used-to own one and am currently building one, but the way he said it was definitely discriminatory. So I guess it depends on how its said.
    Label the car whatever you want, but dont talk shit about it...ya know.

a pic from that show...
    [​IMG]

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

^
    wow-awesome car, looks like we have similar tastes in wheel/tire combos eh:
    [​IMG]

13. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

It doesn't bother me but around here usually when a stranger uses "lowrider" to describe your ride it is a derogatory coming from an a-hole hick. My "neighbor" used that to describe my wife's car and my truck and called us the N-word in the same sentence, needless to say I don't take him any more fab/welding work. Maybe that's a little insight into the original poster's question.

As for non-car friends or coworkers who mean well but call anything lower than stock a lowrider, I've just googled the term and showed them pictures of that genre. I had fun educating my office on lowriders, kustoms, hot rods, etc...they had no idea and thought it was cool.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

well a lowrider is a type of custom, so what difference does it make?

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

...Because if you can prove you are, there are new heroes that will spring into action at the mere rustle of a subpoena.

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

there's a thread on here somewhere with nothing but low riders, very cool rides, I wouldn't be offended if someone called a car of mine one,

17. Malarky

Malarky

Yep, Ive seen your car on here and I must say it is bad-ass.

18. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

My mentor, (A 68 year old die hard KUSTOM guy) Now runs 14 inch Daytons and skinny whites on 2 of his full Kustom Buicks. I guess I helped him blur that line between Lowrider and Kustom. We're all in the same boat man. If it looks right it looks right.

19. Mercchev

Mercchev

What I want to know is what is that Merc side trim doing on a Buick? ;-)

20. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

You used Impals parts in yer build!!!! No wonder

Attached Files:

21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

Yep! Very true. If it looks right-It looks right.

22. jasone

jasone

My lowrider kustom ratrod drives all the ladies wild. :). Labels are fine for cans of veggies, and people who need to label stuff should work at a market.....thank you folks, good night and don't forget to tip your waitress.

23. Westerman

Westerman
    from Cincinnati

exactly...

24. grey46

grey46

I wish that was my only worry.

25. sk_rodz

sk_rodz

Take it as a compliment and let it go. Hell I just appriciate the fact that someone acknowledges all of the hard work that I have put into mine. Last year I got a trophy for best lowrider at a local car show, mainly because mine was the closest thing to a lowrider at the show!

26. darkk

darkk

Hmmmmm.......A compliment? Even an ill conceived compliment, is still a compliment...

27. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

padorey your custom is awesome ! My opinion to the lowrider comment is two words THANK YOU ! Life is too short to get offended over stuff like that.I got a good laugh from a obvious old farmer in a gas station on the way to KKOA in Kansas saying your car must have bad springs it is too low and would be worthless driving around here on our farm roads. Too bad but sure is purdy ,I said yea thank you.He walked away shaking his head. Man we got back on the road and had a good laugh the rest of the trip.

28. JVK54

JVK54

Exactly..In a lot of respects the lines between a lot of late 50s-early 60s Kustoms and Lowriders were defined by the zip code of where the car was parked at night...and wheels.
    My 54 Buick is becoming a fairly traditional early 60's mild custom-slammed 3"front/3 1/2" rear, nosed-decked-saved door handles ,Winfield inspired scalloping( I think green mini flake on white pearl) and matching flake roof, modified 57Chevy grill, etc.
    Currently as it sits now, on baby moons with bullets, it's more "Kustom"..But, I'm thinking Supremes might be really sweet and they will bring a lowride vibe..Hell if anyone calls me Vato and gives a thumbs up I would take that as a hell of a compliment..
    I love and respect both styles when done right and just see them as part of our bloodline.

29. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Nobody says it has to lay frame to be a lowrider! But a lot of my cars were leaning more toward the "Lowrider" side than custom side if it gets downright technical.

I say call it what you want but if you like it you like it!

30. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I SAY THANK YOU! There is a very fine line between a properly done kustom and a lowrider, thats when you know it is RIGHT. look at lee pratts buick, and 58 chevy and tell me I'm wrong.