Register now to get rid of these ads!

Off Topic Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 6, 2024.

1. This is just my opinion but it's somewhat well thought out and I am trying to keep my personal biases out of my thought process.
    If there are going to have some basic rules for the off topic section why not make everything off topic vehicle have a rolling year rule and make it old enough that most people will agree it's a classic.
    A rolling 35 I think would be ideal meaning this year is 2024 so years ago that 1989 next year will be 2025 so 1990 will be ok a rolling 35 would allow a young man or woman that is in their twenties be able to relate.
    What I mean is I was born in 1978 when I was a 20ish year old guy I viewed a car from the early '70s as a old car and a car that was made from around the time I was born until now is a late model car, well I am now middle-aged a 1978 vehicle was 45 years ago, that was a long time ago for most people, to put it into perspective, Burt Reynolds was driving a firebird and Suzanne Somers was a hot young woman (both RIP).
    Another example is I am not really a square body fan but you got to admit when you see the trucks they are classic now so square they stand out in a sea of lexan headlight cars, same goes with a bull nose ford pickup.
    And if we are trying to get new people into the old car hobby they need to have access to obtainable cars and the cars can't be old "grandpa" cars that are wore the F out if they are reasonably priced, it needs to be cars that a young guy (or girl, for the five girls that are actually into cars) can go knock on somebody's front door and pull a rusting wreck out of the driveway or back 40 where it has been slumbering since 2001 when it was a late model car that just wasn't worth fixing.
    The idea is to grow The hobby and even though I don't have a family I really like the idea of making it a family affair where the whole family goes out cruising or to a show and even if I am not a fan of late model vehicles they are all part of the hobby and they all help grow The hobby...
    Using myself as an example again, at 20 years old I would have never have thought of building a Model A banger, if it wasn't for the 1950s traditional hot rod and rockabilly scene taking off in the late 1990s I would have never went down the historical path of what really started it all but now I couldn't picture not owning at least one A engine and it's old even by most HAMB standards. My point is when I was getting into cars it was magazines that pointed cool out, today it is the internet and this site is part of that and a 35 year old car is a gateway drug.
    I'm going to struggle when I see a 1988 Honda Civic built totally traditionally 1990s style but it's going to happen and those guys will eventually want to build something else just like I did back then.

Sharpone and Jim the Sweep like this.
  2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the Crown Victory front floor , full chassis swaps on 60s Ford pickups...Saw one closeup a few years back and the truck was sweet...All the modern bells , whistles and injected..starts in any weather with turn of the key...Pickups are the easiest because the beds can be shortened or stretched...

Sharpone and firstinsteele like this.
  3. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Fortunate to have this additional avenue of Non-Traditional off topic rides.
    Look at them if you want - don't, if you don't want to.

Not any hard rules set (yet) in the Off Topic Hot Rodding post area so not sure any additional Moderator needed but that's up to Ryan. Actually Moderation is down significantly daily with the new Ai spam killer to maybe half dozen complaint reports daily from fellow HAMB'rs so Mods cover easily whatever lights up the Bolt.

So, if you post on the Off Topic Hot Rodding post and it gets deleted, it's by Ryan and I know of only a few.
    Simple answer, Ryan didn't like it.
    The off topic Hot Rodding - maybe will open up to some younger fellas.

We Moderate the Traditional Hot Rods and Customs tight accordingly the the rules.

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

I think it’s a great idea. Some of us long term members have already said or read almost the full spectrum of traditional rods and customs. In the 70’s, muscle cars with Cragars or slotted mags (and 4x4’s) were a big deal. That being over 40 years ago, it’s very nostalgic. I could talk a bit about the good times in my youth. Hundreds of cars cruising around the square. A few head out to that long straight stretch of highway just outside of town. The kid with the flashlight almost gets run over. Maybe run out to the old tower, blast some Lynyrd Skynyrd and party. . .

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Ok guys, this thread is on the main board, please do not post your off topic images here, that is what the off topic forum is for... thank you

Deuces, lumpy 63, Sky Six and 5 others like this.
  6. little red 50

little red 50

Common mistake, HAMB stands for HOKEY ASS MESSAGE BOARD not "honky".

7. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

My suggestion is to make it 1999 so its everything from the last century. The reason I say this is because electronic fuel injection came about before 1990 but the LS engine did not. The LS engine needs to be included as its THE most done swap after the smallblock Chevy and it would seriously handicap the thread if it's not included. Also, there are a lot of trucks being hot rodded today, especially S-10s........large segment of hot rodding loves them. The 1990 guideline would eliminate all but the early square body, and even some of them. That's major link between bringing younger people into the site, because thats where many of them start building something for cheap. S-10 bodies and a 5.3 LS or a smallblock........zillions of them.:) You could also specify that they have to be American manufactured vehicles unless it's from someone overseas. Of course Toyotas are manufactured here, so might have to come up with something more specific.

Sharpone likes this.
  8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Ryan, I commend you for giving this a try, it certainly allows younger people an affordable way to get involved in the car hobby.

9. wvenfield

wvenfield

I completely understand that anything has to grow or die. Maybe not tomorrow but it will.

That's all I'll say about that.

flux capacitor likes this.
  10. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

There are 3 Gen of father son car guys , dads & sons in our fam, age 20-78 & cars from 1920 - 2023 that are “car guy” automobiles. I too commend your, give it a try outlook to sub topic vehicles, these other toys because I’ve never ran across more helpful place for knowledge from older experienced car folks than your HAMB. It has helped me through some tough mechanical challenges & I love to share it back as successful results & as one guy said about an mod I had pic of years ago …. I love your idea & im gonna steal it ❤️. A lot of young talent out there & proud to have a son as ate up with this hobby as us.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
  11. I've been a member for 15 years now.
    Ryan has made it work, and no doubt will continue to do so in the future.
    Contrary to often times popular belief, change can be good.

12. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

Rookie mistake,
    Thanks for the enlightenment and lesson for the day

13. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

My 2 cents, Ryan does have this under control.

While many will not agree, others will enjoy it. .... We all know you can not please everyone.
    Same time if you do not like it ..... just do not go to that forum to read post.
    Seriously I see it as a win win situation all around, it does not affect the main forum ..... Actually improves it to be more traditional, cause now there is a place for off topic cars.

People with off topic cars are going to be happy so they can share their work there ... I think the forum has a chance to grow and survive with these conditions.

I will not say it is true, I would not be surprised to see the off topic forum in 5 years from now with more daily post then the main forum.

14. kustomd

kustomd

So you rolled this new one back to 1998 where it was the wild west again. I can dig it. I remember the old days on the hamb Lol.

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I don’t really care if it’s under control or not… yet… I mean, it looks like a big mess to me. But we haven’t had a ton of reports or anything.

I’m here for traditional hot rods only. :)

porkshop, Deuces, Sharpone and 2 others like this.
  16. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Ryan and mods....I think an off topic forum is a great idea. My initial love for cars started with muscle cars. It was what was parked in my high schools parking lot. First gen Camaros, Firebird..all the cool Mopars. I had and still have muscle cars but really like the style of 50s to 60s era hot rods, show cars and gassers. For me it was an acquired taste. But I do love it! None of my friends have ever strayed away from muscle cars. Not once. They dont understand for example why I would get so hyped up over an original paint '59 Pontiac wagon. I love all cars.

If the point of an internet venture is to capture eyeballs and retain them for some period of time...the OT forum is a natural. Now I spend about equal time on each..possibly 40%- 50% more time total than I used to. Guys here who have the good taste in hot rods and customs that the main forum showcases are bound to have other cool cars we should see.

Rules? No EVs ever. You guys already have established that.

Less strident about: imports...diesels..4x4s anything fairly new. I consider 80s onward newish. This list is what I'm not super interested in seeing and wouldn't click on those threads. Just my opinion.

Deuces and Sharpone like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I like EVs… hell, I own two of them, but I have zero interest in hosting that content here.

That being said, all these people against EVs sort of makes me want to include them. It’s in my nature to go against the grain ya know…punk rock and all that….

But don’t worry.:. Not gonna happen unless I turn really fucking crazy in my old age.

porkshop, Oneball, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  18. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

No matter what you do, when you do it, or why you do it, someone is going to whine or push the limits.
    Long live Fuel Altereds!

Deuces and Sharpone like this.
  19. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I honestly don’t care. My loyalty is to period correct hot Rodders and customizers. If I piss off someone for deleting a thread in an off topic forum, I won’t lose much sleep.

I’ve never promised fairness to anyone.

porkshop, Deuces, Sharpone and 4 others like this.
  20. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Hey Ryan Just curious about what the decision was to do it then... You obviously ain't digging it . And If your loyalty is to period correct Hot Rodders , then , Why Do it?

Sharpone and guthriesmith like this.
  21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

curiosity… Mark suggested it and I like learning, so…

Also, it’s an opportunity to grow interest in period cars if it pulls users.

22. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Thanks for the response Ryan , It's a little like the wild west at the moment.

Deuces, Stogy, Sharpone and 1 other person like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

if I remember correctly, I suggested a dune buggy forum didn’t I? What’s there now seems like a disaster to me but this ain’t my place… if it were the cut off would be 1979 ish…..

24. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

My opinion even if the year difference doesn't work out. A off topic forum is still good for the period correct cars that have more modern modifications or accessories that aren't included on the main forum.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It certainly is a way to keep the main board pure. Which is ultimately the most important thing….

26. Sharpone

Sharpone

@Ryan and @Moriarity I really don’t think the OT forum is a mess at all, sure there is a wide variety of stuff in there with no singular direction , very similar to the antiquated forum which has a wide variety of stuff also. I believe it’s a good spot to get ideas and opinions on OT stuff without infringing on HAMB. I think I’m up to a dimes worth of opinions now. Thanks
    Dan

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good on you @Ryan...lets see...take that wild Mercedes to the beach, hop in the Manx and see where it take ya!!

Sharpone likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to zoom in on your avatar to checknout what I looking at, Henry's missing his pointy I see...cool little monsters they are...;)

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    JohnLewis and Sharpone like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What year was that pizza truck Edward Lloyd made into a T Roadster...I haven’t looked at the forum yet but I will...I think the oddball stuff I post still fits the main forums...I think about the Chevy the late Hamber Stanlow had fits in quite nicely...he must be beaming a big thumbs up to the Hamb right now..

Last edited: May 19, 2024
    das858, Deuces and Sharpone like this.
  30. JohnLewis

JohnLewis

Appreciate it, fun car. It's a Nash.

Sharpone and Stogy like this.