Register now to get rid of these ads!

Off Topic Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 6, 2024.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a 215 Buick with a 5 speed, my Nephew has a Taurus SHO V-6 I might be able to get.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

It's all about packaging!

Deuces likes this.
  3. Sharpone

Sharpone

The 215 would be cool looking IMO
    Dan

Deuces likes this.
  4. RodStRace

RodStRace

Herding cats, man. Open a door and they scatter in EVERY direction! o_O

Obviously I have things to post and say that are/were OT and I appreciate being allowed the privilege and freedom. If some of my stuff gets whacked, so be it. I like playing in the park that Ryan built and curates.
    If I were a richer man, I'd have some very on topic cars. Heck, I've listed a few things here hoping they sell so I can buy an on topic dream.

5. Sharpone

Sharpone

Exactly
    Dan

Deuces likes this.
  6. I'm enjoying the OT area since it is letting me relive my past to some extent. I started out in muscle cars and corvettes which mostly don't fit the traditional format. Ironic how the new OT forum is somewhat in step with me buying back an OT car that I built years ago. Anyway, I still hang out here because of the content of the traditional stuff as well as folks I have met. But, now it is also nice to have an area to discuss other stuff we have messed with or are currently messing with that doesn't fit the main board here.

7. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Yea Jeff i very much like some of the later car, dont have any now but grew with muscle cars.

Sharpone, Deuces and guthriesmith like this.
  8. goldmountain

goldmountain

I would like it included because it will be an interesting build and other than the driveline it is like the cars on the main board.

Sharpone likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm starting to think something like pre-1990 only... or some shit like that...

Lots of stuff I'm not at all interested in at the moment, which is fine I guess... I don't gotta click on it.

10. It does seem like we need some sort of guidelines that we can stick to. I would be ok with 72 and older only, but I’m sure we will be good with whatever you decide. :D

porkshop, lumpy 63, Sky Six and 4 others like this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Ok, I'll delete my crap....

guthriesmith likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

As far as my interest in Chevy performance cars goes, I pretty much think "the music died" in 1970, that's always been my benchmark, after that, the compression ratios really went in the toilet.
    Every time I think about suggesting a cutoff date I find myself going "but I like these too", or, "wow that's really neat", so, where do we go from here, the possibilities are endless.

Deuces, Sharpone and guthriesmith like this.
  13. Adding 25 years of coverage to the current on topic age limit, for what will now be a sort of off topic forum. 1991 and newer would be the new OT. Interesting.

porkshop and Sharpone like this.
  14. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm enjoying the new section.

Chris

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yea.. if you have too.....72 and down.

porkshop, lumpy 63, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  16. 7 more years?
    Would miss the bulk of the 70s
    Lots of crazy stuff built then
    And 80s
    Mmmmmmm
    Cars dying at the so called end of the “muscle car” era escapes me.
    those big old ugly smog barges with 200hp are things of beauty

Ned Ludd, MCjim, guthriesmith and 2 others like this.
  17. Sharpone

Sharpone

My 2 cents: I think 1970 is to far back, reason being that pre 70 stuff is harder and harder to find and when found the prices are oftentimes pretty high. I guess the question for @Ryan is What is the objective of the OT thread:
    1. Is it to draw in younger people and eventually bring them into the Traditional Hot Rodding and Custom culture?
    2. Allow us older farts that grew up with muscle cars to participate in a forum that isn’t traditional per se.
    3. Having a forum that is more main stream.
    4. Having a forum where stuff that doesn’t qualify for HAMB older VWs, Porches, British cars etc. is OK
    My other 2 cents worth ,OK I’m up to a nickels worth of opinion, is have a cut off date of mid 80s maybe 1990. I sure am enjoying this OT forum Thank you,
    Dan

Deuces likes this.
  18. Ziggster

Ziggster

Some of my favourite cars are the Chrysler era fuselage ones. In particular the 1972 Chrysler Imperial Lebaron 2-dr hardtop in triple black.

19. Yea, guessing with this many people here we won’t agree on a cutoff. Glad it isn’t my job to decide. :D Ryan’s suggestion of 1990 or so would likely be good. :)

Deuces, anthony myrick and Sharpone like this.
  20. RodStRace

RodStRace

The current wave of posts still reflect the general age category of the HAMB in general, since the users are the same.
    I'd think that if the point was to be more inclusive or bring in new people it should include JDM stuff and other things that would appeal to people that have gone through acquiring regular transportation and are branching out to the point where they want to explore not just what they grew up with and desired, but hopefully earlier things like the traditional roots this site focuses on. The kid that suffered through a slammed XXXX that only had any real power at 4500 RPM and up could just as easily suffer through a roadster with skinny tires and 6 volts. It would sure be easier to build and work on, provided the parts can be found!
    Just like the music lover that suddenly finds out that song they loved was a cover of a song from years back or their favorite artist loving and inspired by another from decades ago.
    Do I think this is Ryan's plot? To see the demographic limited to a shrinking populace and try to change his original vision for the views? Hell if I know. That would seem pretty calculating, but this is his livelihood.
    I'd argue to letting the cutoff be vague and seeing where the boundaries end up. So long as it doesn't alienate a large group of people who can easily stay in the traditional forum. This isn't a democracy, it's a living thing with a mind of it's own. I'm not interested in everything in the HAMB. So long as some of it holds my interest, I learn new things and I don't feel unhappy or unwelcome, I'll still come by.

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If the year cut off is going to be 1990, then I think that should be the cut off for the style of modifications also. So no Ls engines and no giant wheels.. staying true to form I also think we should keep all the mustangs out too…..

22. RodStRace

RodStRace

If the original intent was derived using car and culture evolution (no pony cars or emissions controls) it would follow that 1972 (compression drop), 1975 (cats), 1980 (PCMs), 1996 (OBDII) Y2K and 2005 (start of youtube) could all be argued. The question is, what to embrace and what to deny?

Ned Ludd and Sharpone like this.
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Naw, we gotta keep the Ruststangs! The Camaros will be lonely without the Rustangs to pick on!

I agree on the LS and Mod motors being too new. And any wheel over 16" belongs on a truck. Just my .02.....

24. badshifter

badshifter

Quoted for most funny bestest correct proposed guidelines…….
    Mustangs…

25. I got some 17s from a 30s ford :)

Deuces, Ned Ludd and Sharpone like this.
  26. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Naw
    No ,Mark I gotta disagree. A badass 70 boss Mustang,or a killer Mach 1 with a 427 FE deserves just as much love as any S 10 in my book

Charlie K, Deuces and Sharpone like this.
  27. adam401

adam401

I see a few benefits here. First a more open forum can attract some guys building some OT stuff. They may catch the bug to build a traditional car while they’re here so that helps the hobby stay alive. It also gives a place for people that are already here to post some of the more borderline traditional stuff keeping the main board more focused. I dunno fuck it worsts case scenerio it’s a disaster and gets deleted haha

28. Never understood the disdain for an LS.
    I know why it’s not in the main forums but it’s just an engine.
    It’s not gonna bite ya

29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not supporting flatheads or LS engines and I wasn't there but I'm sure the flathead guys cried in their beer for some time when the SBC was introduced.

30. Most non gm places I visit give eye rolls to SBCs.
    I can’t figure that one out either.
    It’s all chunks of metal with holes

Sharpone likes this.