Register now to get rid of these ads!

Off Topic Hot Rodding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 6, 2024.

1. twenty8

twenty8

Some are better than others though. Engines don't usually gain big popularity without having some good attributes.
    :rolleyes:;):D

2. Mostly cheap

twenty8 and Sharpone like this.
  3. Sharpone

Sharpone

Maybe only engines that can use a distributor should be allowed

Deuces, Ned Ludd and impala4speed like this.
  4. I’ll put one on my LS then :)
    What about the crank trigger crowd?

Sharpone likes this.
  5. I must say I never thought I would see a mini truck thread on the HAMB. :p

The OT section doesn't bother me. If I don't want to look, I don't have to click on it.
    I bet I'll see some cool stuff if I do though.

6. Seems ridiculous to me that a bunch of muscle cars, VW's, mini trucks etc would be allowed but something like a custom that visually looks traditional but has an LS or MII suspension wouldn't be allowed.

7. Sharpone

Sharpone

Yep Anthony they make kits to install distributors on just about anything, just throwing ideas for what might and might not be allowed. I don’t have anything against any engine.I love almost everything including the newer retro muscle cars 700 hp off the showroom floor WOW. I know the one thing we or least I don’t want is a pissed off Ryan and end up with the whole thing shut down.:eek:
    Dan

8. I’m not posting any of our electric powered projects.
    I’m good with that

Deuces and Sharpone like this.
  9. impala4speed

impala4speed

How about not posting any vehicle that needs a laptop to tune it?

10. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Anthony , I get what your saying but lately everywhere I turn I see LS engines stuffed in everything. Honestly they are flat out FUGLY. I have built several including a twin turbo one in a Mustang. It just seems that if someone is going to hot rod something now the automatic choice is stuff an LS in it. People used to harp on too many SBC's but there was still SBF's ,Mopar engine's of all sizes and any other engines from the big 3. I used to joke to my friends that one day I'll be like one of those old fogey's playing with Ford flatheads ....It seems I've reached that point but I'm ok with it:cool:

11. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Still don't want a flathead though...

12. I’ve got a 283 and a 292 6 on the stand.
    A couple early Hemis, flatheads and stove bolts littered throughout the shop.
    I’ll plan to play with points until I can’t but an engine is an engine.

flux capacitor, lumpy 63 and Sharpone like this.
  13. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I like that.

Sharpone likes this.
  14. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I think OBD-II is the tipping point, as it enforced by law a fundamental change in engineering thinking, from a self-balance approach to a choreographed approach. The change also happened internationally pretty much immediately, through various legislative measures in different places.

Thanks, @RodStRace . That enables me to pin down an end date for my Contested Age historical concept.

15. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm also reaching a point of, "Come back Datsun 120Ys! All is forgiven!"

16. Oh, and one can only attach Alliance tags to ‘65 and earlier!!!

Sharpone and lumpy 63 like this.
  17. IMG_2433.jpeg IMG_2434.jpeg IMG_2439.jpeg IMG_2395.jpeg IMG_2392.jpeg Been a hot rodders since age 16 when I bought a nice 40 ford deluxe convertible for $250 with a flathead ford v8(am 76 years young;so that was 60 years ago) 2 years later my modified flathead was so hopped up,it didn’t always run(words my mother used) and sold the better looking 40 for $400 after adding a new top,fresh paint,and 4 recap tires from Monkey Ward. Over the years built many engines for myself and 15-20 customers(always strong flatheads).Recently,sold all my goodies,bits,and pieces that pertained to flatheads(owned,bought,sold traded over 40 flatheads over the 60 years). The hot rod urge continued when I stepped “out of the box” and purchased a neighbors car with a different style of hot rodding. Car is a 55 ford 2 dr sedan(original paint,never in an accident,factory tinted glass,very nice original style interior) powered by a 4 cam Lincoln(all aluminum v8 DOHC with matching 4 spd o/d) stock frame cut OFF at firewall and entire frt clip from the same Lincoln inserted inside original frame rails giving the car rackpinion steering,anti sway bar,Lincoln hydro lock power disc brakes,power steering,nearly complete a/c. Needless to say,it is the best “sleeper” I have witnessed in my 60 years of hot rodding. Looks like a 55 ford, but runs,stops,drives like a 95 Lincoln mark 8 which was the initial donor for the transformation. Went from 60 years hot rod flatheads to 4 cam Lincoln(commonly referred to as pre-COBRA) in one week. I still peruse the HAMB twice daily, but don’t buy or trade near as much because of the newer purchase(owned 55 approx15 months) and is my daily driver hot rod. Thanks to the HAMB for allowing me to “branch” out with my newest fun ride. View attachment 6065353 View attachment 6065354 View attachment 6065355 View attachment 6065356 View attachment 6065357

Last edited: May 19, 2024
  18. Deuces

Deuces

I'm good with a '73 cutoff....:)

badshifter and impala4speed like this.
  19. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I want to Thank Ryan for starting this thread, no one else would. It's nice to have a place to post when you have a 32 which is an old NSRA and Goodguys car but isn't far off traditional lines. So I don't think anyone should criticize him at all as the main part is still intact; you sure don't have to look at Off Topic Cars, it's that easy.

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Additional avenue that will hopefully bring more younger guys here to enjoy.
    There are a lot of talented young guys out there.
    It's really great to see.
    @Ryan I know would agree.

21. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

“Honky Ass Message Board”
    This name has no reference to any particular vintage or style of automobile
    to me it reads as an open market for open minded individuals to express themselves

so why not have separate areas within, so everyone has a place to play

Hotrodding and building customs is Not about rules and limits, it’s the total opposite.

Sharpone likes this.
  22. I appreciate the new sub-forum. I have been a LONG time lurker, but seeing as I cannot afford an ON topic car, I have been hesitant to join, since I couldn't really participate. The new forum at least gives me an opportunity to participate and interreact on cars I see and know more about than the traditional hot rods I love. With rods, (traditional, old school type builds not the art cars) being popular, the chances of me finding and building one (especially with no garage space or a shop) is slim to none.

So thank you for having a space that allows me to feel comfortable to join

Last edited: May 17, 2024
    wandi harry, Deuces, CSPIDY and 2 others like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I removed the pictures of your new ride. its large diameter wheels and modern engine make it off topic here on the main forum. If you must post it , that is what the new off topic forum is for

24. Sharpone

Sharpone

I really don’t see the new OT forum being any different than the Antiquated forum as far as having any affect on the Traditional stuff
    Dan

Deuces and JohnLewis like this.
  25. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Welcome.
    Check your Email and suggest editing your post.
    Thanks,

Deuces, alanp561 and Sharpone like this.
  26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I predict there will be a lot more work for the moderators.

Has there been thought about new ones coming on board to help with the task?

27. bchctybob

bchctybob

So in the new section discussing IRS, IFS conversions, clips and such will still get yanked? Aftermarket EFI problems, electronic ignition setups? Just curious.
    I like your idea but you’ll still find me mostly wandering around in the original jungle.

Sharpone likes this.
  28. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

The 2 others still exist but they're much more difficult to fit in narrow engine bays. I'm on a couple of Comet FB groups and fitting any Ford 4 cam engine into anything pre-66 involves reconstructing everything from the cowl forwards. Not so with an LS. Same issues apply to fitting a 3rd gen Hemi in say early to mid-60s Mopar compact body.

Sharpone likes this.
  29. I like the 1970s barges.
    The potential is there. All of them have decent brakes, good engine blocks, good trans they just need the camshaft timing fixed, egr deleted, dual exhaust installed and some other bits to make them great cruisers.

Sharpone, Deuces and Ned Ludd like this.
  30. I am not really a Chevy guy but I have to say everybody that hates that motor is stupid, a good design is a good design.
    The LS makes power it has great aftermarket availability and it is relatively compact so it fits in most engine compartments, my only issue with it is it is a damn ugly engine but it's perfect for a car where the hood is always closed.

MCjim, Sharpone and mad mikey like this.