Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pickup guys, where do you hide your battery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 31, 2005.

1. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

In the bed,sunken compartment...shielded...with vents and pull top.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

You guys are innovative........Thanks.

4. I have two 6V Optima batteries in series mounted behind the seat.

[​IMG]

5. DrJ

DrJ

Mine is in the stock 40 GMC location sitting in the stock mount, under the passenger side cab floor just an 18" cable away from the starter.
    I have an access hole cut in the marine plywood floor with a sheetmetal cover held down by half a dozen short wood screws, under the marine, hose out the jerky wrappers and keep driving black carpet.
    A "regular" size battery won't fit there between the frame and T350 transmission so I used a skinny battery made to fit a 84 Mustang for years but after 8 years it went dead on me so I had the original battery I had taken out of wife's '96 Civic just because I thought it was time for a new one in the Civic sittin around so I stuck the Civic battery in the GMC "just till next week end" when i could replace the Mustang size battery.
    That was a couple years ago.
    I've been starting a 262" SBC on a teeny little 10 year old Honda Civic battery made for a 1600cc engine for longer than even I believe.
    It's held down with a bungee cord because I'm just gonna replace it "next week" :rolleyes: :cool:

6. TINGLER

TINGLER

Mine is going in the "pirate hatch" on my bed.

[​IMG]

7. dt50chev

dt50chev

Does your dump bed operate off of this battery? If so, how do you gain access to the battery when it's dead?

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

my rodrodderiffic bat box, right where I can get to it

Attached Files:

9. Mines under the floor of the bed, just behind the cab on the right side.Carlg

Its a 47 international on an s-10 frame.

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

You don't have a hair on you A$$ if you don't put a stockade fence gate latch on that bad boy.......

11. TINGLER

TINGLER

Hahaha....
    I don't know.....I wouldn't want to do anything un-tasteful. :D :D

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Or maybe an Acme fence sign.....:rolleyes:

13. bardahl1

bardahl1

In my old 6V pos ground '36 I made a box, sized for a 12V, off the X-member under the driver side floor and put 2 optima's in it. The carpet has snaps at either end and the floor has an aluminum cover plate w/ 2 swiveling pieces of .063 5052 to keep it in place. When I'm in a roadster mood and don't drive it for a while,or from time to time that I've needed to I can switch or disconnect the terminals in a jiffy. Its easy and accessable to get to, doesn't look goofy, and 2 batteries has been a nice idea at times.

14. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

Is that galvanized looking box one of those milk cooler things? I found a couple of those in my garage when I bought my house. I never knew such a thing existed, but then I've always driven my ass to the store whenever I needed milk.

15. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built a '40 pickup years ago (same frame as the '36) and I mounted the battery on the frame just underneath the front area of pickup bed. It was on the frame just before the kickup. I mounted it high 'cause I never like the sight of a battery hanging low, but you had to jack the truck up to get access.

To get around the battery access problems I made my own battery cables with two 4ga. wires on each terminal. One pair as a source for the truck, and another pair that went to a couple of race car lugs (?). These lugs were mounted on the frame rails to allow the truck to be boosted.