Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects =Rebuilding the Plymouth Flathead=

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by =StreamlineDeco=, Dec 8, 2008.

1. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

More to come! Working on port matching the intake and getting some machining done on the crank. Cleaning and so forth. I'm really looking forward to polishing the intake up. Haven't had the opportunity to polish anything yet but I'll give it a shot with this. I read 'Eastwood' sells some nice polishing kits but if anyone knows of any other reliable (and easier on the pocket book) sources that would be most appreciated! I'll post pictures of my progress soon! Thanks for letting me share fellas!

=Adrian=

Happy New Year! 1939-err, I mean 2009 :D

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Wow! Nice progress! Looking good for tthe new year!

3. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Hey - what's going on with the rebuild? We've missed the regular updates.

4. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

I've enjoyed your thread very, very much! I know it's been a lot of work (on the motor, not to mention the keyboard), and appreciate all you've done to share it.

And I beg for more!

I'll be working on '56 Plymouth with a seized 230 6-cylinder, and your words here have both put the fear of God into me...and encouraged me (by the fact that it CAN be done).

Best wishes either way,
    Mark

5. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

6. Well does it live yet?

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from so cal

Any progress on the flatliner?

8. Killer thread - LOVE those old Plyms and the MoPar Flatheads !!

Rat

9. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

How ya comin?

Jeff

10. 73RR

73RR

Great project ! We must be about due for an update...:rolleyes:

11. His profile says he has not been on since feb 2nd 09, maybe he gave up?

12. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

What paint is on this block? It looks great and I would like to give that a shot.

13. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I recall (from some prior thread) that it was Hammertone.

14. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Maybe. But he was seemingly so into the project with rapid progress and frequent updates - I hope he is OK.

15. I hope everything is ok too ! I was sooo getting into this......
    Any Updates

16. 50FREAK

50FREAK

Cool thread lots of good info.. Im gonna need to do my motor in my 50 in the next couple years...

17. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Damn, please keep us updated, I hope to do one of these motors in a future project. Have to wait and see.

18. Man--what a great thread--I can't wait to get into an old Mopar Flat Six. Anyone know if StreamlineDeco/Adrian finished the car, or is OK? He hasn't been active on either HAMB or P15/D24 since early '09.

19. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Searching the net for rebuild info a Dodge flathead 6 and found this thread. Anyone hear from this guy? Want to see how the engine turned out.

Chris

20. 73RR

73RR

His last post was in June 2011...try sending an email vs a pm. Maybe he'll respond.

21. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

HEY EVERYONE!! I can't believe how long it's been since I've updated. My apologies for leaving many holding their breath's. Never fear, the engine is still on for a complete rebuild. Work has been slow and family emergencies led me to leave certain things on the back burner (engine included). But I'm back and hopefully will be posting some updated pictures soon! Still looking for performance parts for the engine. Maybe even an aluminum head. Found some on ebay, but nothing near budget, lol. Still looking for a solid overdrive trans from a mid-to-late 50's mopar. Any leads are welcome :). Just thought I'd leave you all with an update. So toss out your old milk cartons with my photo's and stay tuned!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Nice seeing you again :)

23. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

This is a great thead!

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from so cal

Good to see you are surviving. Looking forward to progress reports on the build.

25. Great to have you back and back on track, great thread so hope that continues!

26. j hansen

j hansen

Subscribe!!!
    Good job with the engine,keep the flatheads alive.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Raceandoval

Raceandoval

Wow! What a great thread! I just acquired a 1949 Windsor with a Spitfire 6. Can't wait to see the new updates. Definitely engaged me since I'm up at midnight captivated. Definitely got my blood pumping! Really glad I chose to keep the flathead six!

64Kaddy likes this.
  28. atlbluz

atlbluz
    from Atlanta Ga

Anyone following this thread able to tell me if that is a freeze plug hole that I have circled from one of these pictures. It's been 40+ years since I rebuilt the motor and when I refilled the system with coolant after changing the water pump I have a leak that appears to come from behind the timing cover area. It appears that I may have to pull my motor. If someone could help me I would sure appreciate it. My engine is from a 1938 Plymouth P-6

Attached Files:

• port.jpg
      port.jpg
      File size:
      162.5 KB
      Views:
  29. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

atlbluz,
    I can't remember for the life of me. I will have to go check it out, but from the looks of it, it appears to be a gallery for coolant. I will get back at you.

On a side note, I'm in the process of getting my bottom end done. I have been strapped for cash as I'm spread accross various projects at the moment. Also, the automotive department at the nearby college sucks now so I'm left to fend for myself on some of the machining. I will post pictures of the crank polishing and the balanced assembly as soon as I can. This project has been draggin on for some time now and I'd like to get it running before the end of the year. Stay tuned!

30. atlbluz

atlbluz
    from Atlanta Ga

Thanks for the quick response. It seemed everyone was concerned that you haven't been posting. I'm a newbie, and just getting back to my car that I did 40+ years ago. I know the $$$ problem, it always has gotten in the way. I have just decided that I needed to make this thing hit the road again, no matter how long it takes even on a shoe string. I am really afraid I am going to need to pull the motor and fix this. Looking forward to your updates.

greg