Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Art & Inspiration School me on 55 thunderbirds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Sep 4, 2024.

1. IMG_6859.jpeg IMG_6860.jpeg IMG_6856.jpeg IMG_6862.jpeg

Neat car 302 unknown trans either c4 or AOD
    On the road running and plated
    Looks clean in the pics
    Ton of work done just this year
    Hard top comes with it

what should I know about these baby birds ?

At 5’11”-15/16”ths and 225 lbs do I even fit ?

might go look at it now

Might just be able to keep the merc and this !

Last edited: Sep 4, 2024
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Know nothing about them. But an insert for your shoes will get you to 6’.

3. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

The Tbird market is soft right now and getting softer
    Large steering wheel that should telescope in and out, tight on a big belly
    5-11 should fit on the height

4. TRAVLR

TRAVLR
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I just spit half my beer out... Thanks a lot.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I'm a little over 6 foot and I don't fit.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't been in one since 1997, I fit then...and I don't weigh any more now than I did then. I do remember you sit on the floor and your feet stick straight ahead, and the steering wheel is as big and vertical as the one in my Vette.

If you can afford it, you should buy it, because they're fun to drive...although up there, you probably won't get to drive it for long this fall!

7. tim troutman

tim troutman

I am close to 6 foot & to fat I fit in my 55 fine .I have done some hot rod custom stuff to mine its a blast to drive.I also agree the prices are probably cheaper now than in the 80s 20230624_175209[1].jpg

8. tim troutman

tim troutman

I will add this you need to be able to bend your head down with the top up to get in. to me 55s are the best looking year .somebody has put sun visors on the red car you posted not a bad thing but 55s did not have them 56 &57 did

9. jaracer

jaracer

I'm about 6' 1" and I had a 57 Bird for 28 years. I fit fine. The 55, 56, and 57 models have the same interior room. In my mind it's too bad they got rid of the Y block. They are known to rust in the rockers, floor board area and rear quarters. Take a look underneatth and see if the floor board braces are still in place as they seem to rust first.

I really enjoyed my little Bird. It is a fine highway car comfortable for long distances. Most parts are still available.

10. jaracer

jaracer

Oh yeah, the easiest way to get into a little Bird is to set your butt in the seat first and swing your legs in. If you try to get in legs first, the wrap around windshield will take one of your knee caps off.

11. IMG_9276.gif

I don’t care , that’s FUNNY !!:D:p

12. @tim troutman kind the look I was thinking .

Lowered , a set of salt flat wheels , your wheels are perfect !

And those little exhaust dumps/ lakes pipes @Moriarity has on his vette

And loose the front bumper over riders .

and @squirrel I still have a couple months to enjoy it !! Possibly :p

13. Would have originally been a 6v car but most likely a 12v car now. I'd check the wiring and fuse panel.

lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.

14. YOU FORGOT THE 15/16ths :mad::mad::mad:

:D

15. Although I’ve never driven one I say do it!

Sharpone and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. The 1955 Ford thunderbird, sometimes referred to as the "baby bird", was Ford's attempt at competing with Chevrolet's corvette in a 2 seat sport car. Zora Duntov was at the bar one night, playing poker, and he made a side bet with Henry Ford II and Bill Burnett that they didn't have the nuts to build anything half as good as the corvette. I believe they were drinking gin. Well, Henry wouldn't have any of that talk, he told Zora he was gonna shove a Y block up his ass and he stormed out of the bar. Burnett followed close behind, he had already went all in on the hand he had, and wanted to see how it played out. Turns out he won the pot, and a huge brawl ensued. As he walked out the door he turned around and told Duntov to piss off.... the name of the bar? Yep. Thunderbird. So there ya go. If you need any more info, I can make shit up at the drop of a hat. :cool::D:p

17. Thicker socks would probably do it!
    :p

18. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They make a reproduction 57 wheel that’s smaller 14-15 I think. It’s a dish, but the tele column solves that. Pretty popular with larger guys. Not cheap. I put a Lecarra Mk 10 in my 55. Flat, painted to match, cut the center ring top off, and put a ‘bird crest in the center. Made quite a difference in space. They’re kind of fun, I’ve had mine 25 years. Still a Yblock. Aerostar springs bring the front down on the cheap and improve ride and handling. With a 302 they might need a half coil cut, the sbf is quite a bit lighter.

IMG_0038.jpeg

19. JD Miller

JD Miller

20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The market is swamped , my Buddy passed , he had a west coast car restored . The build sheet says it was from San Fransisco. It was rust free , all fresh new trim , 2 tops , wire wheels, tires . 312 , auto .You name it , it was there , $25k is what it sold for .

21. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It was the worst car I ever tried to enter and exit . Most could be because , I have 4 fused in my neck . I have another Buddy tossed the Y block , it’s an FE side Oiler 427 dual quad , 4 speed . Never ridden in this rocket with the top up , it is scary fun .

22. BJR

BJR

I'm 5'11" and a little wider than I should be. I own a 56 T-Bird. I never drive it with the top up, too hard to get into. The 55 doesn't have the side vents which are great on a hot day. I do love driving it on a nice day, top down just listing to the dual exhaust from the 312 Y block. The Y blocks have a sound all their own.

23. Nice one! You at least need to go try it on for size...

24. Honestly is anyone REALLY a hot rodder if they aren't used to getting in a Ford butt first...... usually into the back seat with back doors that only open from the outside? Lol

Sharpone and VANDENPLAS like this.
  25. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm 6', 205, I climb in head first than bring my legs in and find a spot that's tolerable to sit. It's an acquired fitment, but I would still drive the wheels off of one if given the chance.

26. Worked under the dash of one way long years ago. Was 6ft185 then. Under the dash was tough.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

jaracer nailed the one thing that you have to check on those, get under it and look for rust. Even in the 60's and 70's a lot of them were rusted real bad in the floors, rockers and support braces.
    Back in 1967 there was a hard driven 57 that had been traded in at the Ford dealer 35 miles from me that was for sale for 1500 that I tried every way I could think of to get but couldn't afford it. I was a lot younger and 120 lbs lighter then.

28. ahshoe

ahshoe

Doubt you will fit not only headroom issues but even with seat all the way back it is crowded. I am 5’-9” and it is pretty tight with the legs and steering wheel

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. spudshaft

spudshaft

My uncle had one when I was in high school. I was 6’ and probably 185ish at the time. I don’t remember even thinking about fitting at the time - as in no problem, but I may have been a lot more flexible. That was with the hard top on. I do remember thinking it was sort of slow and drove like an “old car”, but that may have just been his. I’d still want one. Not sure if calypso coral is actually a color but I think that’s what it was.