Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Smelly Exhaust. The car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by modagger, May 8, 2021.

1. modagger

modagger

Howdy jnaki!

Last thing first. No lake pipes or collectors, only glass packs. Also, I don’t get any stank inside the car while driving. The only time I notice it is while it’s idling in the driveway. Well, you might say, “don’t idle it in the driveway!”. Actually anywhere it’s idling It stinks.

Now to the birds. Man, do I feel your pain. The fellow that had our house built in 1935 was an entomologist at Yale University. He planted some very unusual trees for this area, (the Northeast), on the property.

One of them was a Cork tree. A majestic tree with delicate leaves and Cork for bark. Oh, and dark cherry like berries that would come out once a year.

Every year like clockwork, flocks of Starlings would stop to feast on the berries and stay around just long enough for their digestive systems to cycle and expel maroon colored guano onto everything in sight.

I do miss the shade that old tree provided.

Be well
    Jeff

Deuces, jnaki and loudbang like this.
  2. loudbang

loudbang

Gives a new meaning to "PURPLE RAIN" :rolleyes:

3. modagger

modagger

Oooh! I like dat! :p

Guy Patterson, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  4. I think its the Ethanol That's in the Fuel is your Problem
    That's why I have been using Non Ethanol Fuel fore the Last 6 year's
    there must be places in CT. that Sell that Type of Gas for Lawn Mowers
    and other Things

Just my 3.5 cents
    :Live Learn & Die a Fool

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

You say it's definitely the exhaust, but how do you know that it isn't crankcase fumes. You only smell it when it's idling. Yeah, that's an indication. Change your oil, change the brand you normally use. See if that effects the smell. At work we've had customers that sometimes have complained about odors causing operators to get sick. I'll admit that there's something strange about those exceptionally clean plug insulators, but keep your mind open to other possible sources until you get this figured out, it might just be crankcase vapors.

Deuces, loudbang and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  6. modagger

modagger

Brand new oil since the start of “The Vapors”, so oil is ruled out. Maybe.

It’s raw and drizzly here today so hopefully tomorrow I can take step #1 and fatten up the carb a bit to see what happens.

Many thanks for the thoughts.

Jeff

7. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Not necessarily, just because it's new doesn't mean there isn't an ingredient, or a combination of ingredients, that are causing the odor, in your engine. This may not be the cause, but don't rule it out until you've solved the issue.

8. modagger

modagger

The only thing I’ve ruled out positively is my neighbor who was standing next to me when I first detected the “stank”. :D

All options are on the table.

loudbang, Deuces and Flathead Dave like this.
  9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

10. Any thing is possible so pull the Dip Stick out & Smell it
    and if you are Running a Automatic Do the Same.!
    and take 2 Asperin's & Call me in the AM
    And I will tell you what to do.!
    Dom.

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

11. modagger

modagger

Dom

If I can pull my dipstick out and smell it, taking care of that would be a priority over the car stank! :rolleyes:

Not an auto. 3speed top loader.

Jeff

12. Try Autolite 124 plugs. They don't have that extended tip. I use them in all my Fords that use the big plug.

Deuces, modagger and loudbang like this.
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

The stink has to be fuel. JMO. Lippy

Deuces, modagger and loudbang like this.
  14. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

The spitters never show up, they don’t have the get it done attitude to finish the job.

modagger likes this.
  15. Lil32

Lil32

jnaki
    you talk of the swallows not returning to Capistrano (we have been to the Mission many times)
    and have noticed on our many miles we do on your Hwys, hundreds of swallows nesting under
    overhead road bridges,we always hope we do not hit any. At speed we do not smell them
    Noel

loudbang, jnaki and modagger like this.
  16. modagger

modagger

:p

17. Deuces

Deuces

Poor some racing fuel in the tank and let it cackle a bit.....:D;)

modagger and loudbang like this.
  18. modagger

modagger

I’m afraid that might toast something that would be a bigger problem than “stank”. :eek:

loudbang likes this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

Leaded race fuel??... Naaaaa....:)

loudbang likes this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I read I most applications a tip that extends into the chamber is better for combustion; I’m sure the recommendations today are different than the mid 50’s when his engine was manufactured. For my high compression engines up to 14-1 I buy plugs with the most porcelain I can get.

Since an engine is just an air pump what ever the smell is it must be a product of the combustion. There should only 4 items that COULD be part of it. Air, gasoline as a fuel, oil and additives passing the rings and valve seal, and a coolant which could be just water or a miriad of products and additives by the owner.

modagger, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  21. modagger

modagger

I’m ready to start with the carb setup but I have a question. When I initially set it up with a vacuum gauge, I used the port on the carb base. Now I am reading some info that I should only use a true manifold vacuum for this task.

Differing schools of thought. Gimme the straight skinny!

Holley 4160

Thanks
    Jeff

45DABB57-8ACB-4306-BE6D-EA152B3A4531.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Manifold vacuum is manifold vacuum, it shouldn't make a difference where you measure it from, it should be equal at all points.

Deuces, Truckdoctor Andy and modagger like this.
  23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Anywhere below throttle plates will be fine.

Deuces likes this.
  24. 6sally6

6sally6

My "M-word" SBF would bring tears-to-your-eyes idling (especially in a garage). My remedy is what I preach all the time. Put all the advance in the timing it will stand! Don't worry about "what-da-book-say"...advance it until it starts pinging going up a hill (when warm)....and will spin the starter to crank when warm.
    Also......most new carbs are sent from the manufacture on the rich side. Lean it down with jet change or jet and metering rods (on an Eddy carb). Lean it out until it starts surging while idling along in gear (porpoising) then go back UP one jet size.
    Bet that will get it close.
    Hey....they both are FoMoCo products so they have a lot in common;)
    6sally6

Truck64 likes this.
  25. modagger

modagger

I kinda thought so, but I kept seeing references to, “can’t be a port vacuum, it must be manifold vacuum.”

Thanks Blues

Deuces and Blues4U like this.
  26. modagger

modagger

Thanks Truck.

Deuces likes this.
  27. modagger

modagger

Thanks for the info 6sally6

The general consensus regarding my “stank”, seems that it is too lean. So I’m going to try a few things before I start rejetting.

Jeff

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That has to do with vacuum advance, not carb tuning. There are several threads and discussions on that topic around here. Some folks are adamant that 1 way is superior to the other. Reasonable folks say it depends on what the individual car prefers, which you can tell by trying it both ways.

For adjusting the carb air idle mixture screws you want to use manifold vacuum for sure, ported vacuum won't even register any vacuum at idle.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  29. modagger

modagger

When I set the mixture the first time, (only time), I used ported on the carb and I seem to recall a pretty good vacuum reading. I’m going to try again tomorrow and report.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Ported sees no vacuum at all until the throttle butterflies are opened in the carb, that is not supposed to occur when idling, and if it does it indicates a problem.

Deuces, Truckdoctor Andy and loudbang like this.