Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Some thoughts on the coming year

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chryslerfan55, Dec 12, 2023.

1. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Letting stuff go to make work space in the garage.
    Home repair has suddenly reared its ugly head. :mad:
    Inventory junk collection, label and assign $ need to it, for my wife.
    ( in case I disappoint my doctors ) :cool:
    chrysler55fan, Thanks for asking.
    Sorry about your losses. As a song writer once said:
    " Time takes care of a few things, Love takes care of the rest. " ( Willy, I believe )

SDS, chryslerfan55, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  2. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I’m just like the rest of you guys I shoot for the stars and settle for the moon :rolleyes:

I want to do a bunch of stuff but would settle for getting my family heirloom ‘51 where we can start enjoying it and take it to the Goodguys in Nashville. Move some cars around so I can start finishing my convertible that dad and I started years ago. And start going to swap meets and a few shows to gather more parts for me to trip over while entertaining my granddaughter over the summer :)

3. sweetdick2

sweetdick2
    from new jersey

I've GOT to get my 48 Dodge Pickup body mounted on it's new frame and if I don't run out of money get her fired up and running

4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Avoid having my name in a RIP post.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Get ready to see my '50 Ford for sale real soon.

6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

This past year I had covid, then major back surgery and bladder cancer so nothing got done on my truck. I am determined to get it done this year, hopefully my health issues are behind me for awhile.

CSPIDY, alanp561, deadbeat and 5 others like this.
  7. All the same stuff as last year….BTT50s , Iola , Goodguys Des Moines, EAA Oshkosh

except this year we are adding the Gathering at the ROC. Have room reservations and the car has been approved

this is all contingent on things being normal…..I think 2024 could be one hell of a crazy year

8. squirrel

squirrel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2024 is mostly a blank slate. I just got a couple more unexpected vehicles, so I get to deal with them. I also have two trips planned, both Route 66 things for the 62 Corvette.

And I want to decide about how many cars I want to have around, and what I'll do with them. Might be some changes in store, maybe not.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Looking forward to winning the lottery so I can finish my custom Merc project.
    Also hoping the world we live in returns to common sense thinking.

10. SDS

SDS

As I recently finished my 32 in time for NH winter, I thoroughly look forward to driving the piss out of it in 2024.

11. Like several of you, health problems pretty much made 2023 a do nothing year. I have 5 old cars/trucks and every one of them needs something done to it. I really need to sell off a couple of them that I have not touched in years. I definitely want to change out the suspension on my 32 coupe and replace the fiberglass fenders with original steel. If I could just get over my physical problems and get my mojo back I could to it all. But we know how that goes. Good luck to you all and I hope you can check off some things on your lists.

12. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

The Lone Star Roundup is on my list this year with my 56 F-100, anyone from the PNW going there thru here and want a straggler? Also the 60 Ranchero gets a new heart and a few other things. Hopefully the 33 Ute gets a new home, and my extra parts find their way onto my fellow Hamber’s rides. And maybe a couple ofTRJ’s land in my mailbox? All this is of course, GOD willing. Good luck to all of you this next year, may your hopes and dreams be met.

13. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Plans for next year:
    Northeast Vintage Drags Memorial day weekend in Oxford, Maine
    Early Ford Swap meet Fitchburg airport
    Pinetree Jamboree in Winterport, Maine
    Jalopy Hillclimb Campton, NH
    New England Dragway events and swap meets.
    sell the model A coupe
    get more 34 coupe stuff
    Replace engine in the Chevy
    That's enough

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences on losing your folks, been there done that. Losing Dad was hardest (no fear of Mom hearing that).
    No car plans, still working full time and just can’t seem to get it into the family routine.
    Am planning to retire February 2028 and then I can work on cars.

15. Chucky

Chucky
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Losing the wife’s grandma, our 17 year old dog and my mom in 2023, makes a guy realize there’s only so much time. After building a classic ski boat, a cabin and a garage, I’m finally back on a HAMB friendly project. Most likely my last build. I’d post about it more, but I’ve had enough drama as of late.
    IMG_2892.jpeg IMG_2896.jpeg

16. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no definite thoughts about the coming year.
    I'm still trying to figure out what the hell happened to this one! :rolleyes:

0ldracer, vtx1800, alanp561 and 6 others like this.
  17. After contributing significantly to the local medical profession over the last few years my goals will be :
    - Wake up and get vertical in the morning
    - Visit more swap meets / cruises/ shows and less doctors
    - Try to change the "bring home junk / get rid of junk " ratio so that one day I can see the floor in the shed
    - Finish current project ('47 Fleetline)
    - Start /Finish next project ('53 AD pickup)
    - unearth BSA buried in my shed and get that done.
    - and all the boring stuff like put a new kitchen in the house, landscaping and fencing.

wfo guy, alanp561, lumpy 63 and 4 others like this.
  18. bubba55

bubba55

Know your pain @chryslerfan55 - lost my dad in 04 and my mom in 07 - couldn’t been blessed with better parents - I’m gonna get me A on the road next year so I can get back on the 38 Chevy twuck - for some reason I thought I could get the A on the road in a few years - that was 5 and half years ago - boy what did I know - learned a lot since then - still learning too

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  19. Squablow

Squablow

I need to finish my shop renovations as I've done nothing but work on buildings for the last few years and I'm itching to actually build cars again.

Got another sewing machine and have been practicing with that, would like to do some upholstery work, and hopefully put together a long-overdue shop truck.

chryslerfan55 and guthriesmith like this.
  20. With a little luck, Little Truckdoctor and I will start on the drivetrain renewal of our 1950 3100. We also want to go to Bowling Green and meet up with our Buddy Lloyd. I’m also planning on going to Sturgis for the Rally and Races and of course I wouldn’t miss Lloydfest for anything.

alanp561, guthriesmith and lumpy 63 like this.
  21. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Engine back in our LSR roadster for Bonneville. Going to aV-Gate shifter for drivability to help the grandson. Hopefully find my 32 year old HD a new home. I’ve had it 31 years and at 79 it’s time to go.

alanp561 and guthriesmith like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Whatever I said I planed to do in the last 5-10 years holds true for 2024. I really need some '32 frame rails to keep the two A projects progressing. Selling enough crap is going to fund them, keeping the funds is always the problem.

23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2024-1-30_3-10-11.png @chryslerfan55

upload_2024-1-30_3-10-44.png
    @'28phonebooth

Hello,

Well, from an old hot rod/drag race guy + his wonderful wife (since 1966 chance meeting) encouraging us to stay involved in hot rodding during our 20-30 something years was the key. When we moved to a small apartment, our garage was a simple two car garage . But it was for one car. One side was a photo developing studio workbench I made and all of my photo supplies, including enlarger, trays, dryer and paper cutter. My homemade light box was upstairs so I could see the negatives and color slides.

The storage stuff was in boxes, the tools in a small Craftsman grey box and those were shoved over to the other side of the garage. Then a nice Harley appeared and that now took up some car space. The Red El Camino was the main user of the garage. The poor Corvair was outside, unless I could squeeze it in place next to everything during the rainy season.
    upload_2024-1-30_3-13-14.png
    Then, as the years rolled on and we were now in a larger house with plenty of room for a rambunctious toddler, “stuff” began to gather rapidly. “I will store it now, so I can used it on another project, later” was the most often heard saying…

From a clean organized storage/counter workspace to more stuff gathered on and around open shelves was the norm. It looked organized, I knew where everything was located, and there was plenty of space to do work on the counter. Even with two cars in the garage. The skateboard scooter business was going well and I had a nice production line on the workbench, with parts boxes in the area next to the counter.

My surfboards were hung above our heads to give us clearance and yes, more space for stuff inside of the open wall stud locations. They were great places to store long items or things that would not fit in any drawer.
    upload_2024-1-30_3-14-1.png A custom scallop design of multiple colors painted on the opening door to the outside backyard. The drab garage needed some color.
    upload_2024-1-30_3-15-51.png
    I even had a separate storage area for my shoe collection on the only area that had drywall + insulation.

Jnaki

I can say that this method is the tried and popular format for most garages during that old time period. But as we got older and our storage needs were different, something had to change.

upload_2024-1-30_3-16-28.png Two house moves and cities later, the old cabinets came out and something new went in place.

So, we had a custom garage company come in and restore our nicely finished (drywall) areas and install the heavy duty shelving within the same thickness cabinets. Our experience with the cabinets at the big box stores were fine at the time, but the weakness of the shelves and outer walls of the tall cabinets were its downfalls.

Now, the new tech is thicker shelves so no center drop happens when stuff gets stored on them. The outer walls are also thicker and the surfaces are easily cleaned with a clean cloth. Drawers roll in and out and don’t fall off of any tracks. So, our goal from my wife's insistence was everything would be inside of the tall wall cabinets and shelves. Plus, now I had tons of fabulous drawers for daily stuff and deep drawers for useful tools. No more exposed parts, tools, cords, additional crap that we and most everyone has/had in the garage.

It is very clean, but before it the new year started, I planned on getting my deep drawers that have somehow become holding pens for “stuff” I think I will use the next time, I am ready for a project. The old habits are hard to break, but I am getting better at selective listening and selective storing. If I cannot find that multiple plug USB cord outlet extension, or small rotary cutting and buffing tools, then there is too much stuff in there.

Note:

If you have not used any of the old parts or your grandfather did not specifically set them aside for you, that makes things easier. Unless you plan on starting the same business, let them go to anyone willing to come and move them out. It is not the money in this case, but the memories that your grandfather liked what he did. And, that he would be happy knowing the parts and old cars went to someone who would appreciate them and not be a "hoarder."

Being a grandfather, we know what is going to happen to our garage stuff. Our son or granddaughter will not sit around and ponder what is valuable or not. It is clean out the garage cabinets and drawers. If they cannot use them in their lives, not 5 years down the line. But for now, they will probably go to the salvage companies that come to your house to move stuff out to the scrapyards or the local dump.

But, "surprise," the garage is cleaned out and everything looks as if it is another room of our old house. Yea!

Our granddaughter’s college is set in stone and will be provided for 100%. So, the worry is to have a good life and to see it to fruition. Health and well being is the key to late in life history. We are trying to stay around for many more years. First, we have to get our home and daily lives situated like it was/is and move on to more pressing things, like drawing more ideas and writing in our journals. We are happy that our granddaughter is on her way to her future. Now, we can relax a little bit and stay healthy. Those old bones still harp on us at times, but that is life…

Note 2:

Too many times, people see a horde of stuff and think $$$. But, it more than likely will not be a gold mine. So, look for your friends/customers list and give them a call to come and get the stuff, now. If you personally have room to store the old stuff and you think it is a thing your grandfather would have wanted for you, then go for it and store it away.

We would be happy knowing our son and granddaughter would take the time to come over and do that for their lives. We have stuff we think is valuable, but to whom? One of them will eventually live here or sell the property. But, whatever is the outcome, we would not want them to ponder over whether or not it is valuable to them. They have their lives to live and enjoy.

upload_2024-1-30_3-26-26.png
    For us, cars belong in a simple clearly organized garage environment. A simple place to park the cars out of the weather and outdoors. Afterall, they are valuable as family usages go and especially if they are daily drivers. Why buy a house with a two car/three car garage and fill them up with cardboard boxes, old parts, and tools you have not seen in years. While one or more of the most valuable commodities sits outside of the closed garage door in the driveway absorbing the changes in weather, anywhere?

If we find an old hot rod that fits our needs for a daily driver to do what we do nowadays, it will be in the garage. So, my wife’s choice will have to do. Her daily driver is 11 years old, but still a great vehicle. But, a nice 1940 Ford station wagon or 1965 Chevelle 2 door station wagon would also look great inside the finished garage.

Written history, old photos, timeline of our family are things that matter and are definitely worth saving. A porcelain ash tray with a dog attached to it may look unusual in an antique store, but to store it away in a box makes no sense. Material things that will not make a difference in your lives should be given away. No worries, just come and take them away. Organization and cleanliness are the keys to finding what anyone needs at any moment as far as tools or parts...YRMV

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. I'm threatening to put paint and chrome my 39/40 Ford tub 41 Chevy Ruby Maroon again just like I did in 2023
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. SDS

SDS

Damn nice...
    Now go get it dirty!

jnaki likes this.
  26. Amanda Fowler

Amanda Fowler
    from Ohio

As soon as the weather breaks I plan to take more leaisure drives in my 1967 Oldsmobile with my Dad and my kids. It was my summer daily driver when I was 16, but hasn't seen the light of day for a lot of years. I am hoping to make new memories in it this year and share the love of old cars with my kids.

SDS and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

got laid off in March and the thought of starting a new job with a new bunch of assholes did not sound appealing and retired after my unemployment ran out. don't make enough to live here in the Bay Area any more, so I am selling 26 years of accumulated junk in my shop and moving to "Gold Country" in the Sierra foothills.

might sell my 61 Dodge Dart :(... keeping my 49 Chevy in the hopes that I can get some sort of place where I can put it back together.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  28. ...probly gonna try to thin the herd, sell some parts and drive my old cars n trucks more than last year.
    lookin forward to the new NSRA event in Davenport, Iowa in August.

SDS likes this.
  29. Crocodile

Crocodile

I am getting started on re-powering my 33, to attend the "model 40 Mayhem" in TN the first weekend in June. Back to the 50's in St. Paul is a requirement, as well as the Midwest 40 Ford get-together in MO in September.
    I want to get my 59 F100 on the road, as kind of a "shop truck" build. A lot of it will be HAMB friendly, but I will omit my engine and trans plans if I do a thread.
    Getting to a few more swap meets is huge on my radar.
    Ideally, Lloydfest would also be in the mix, but I am not going to set my hopes too high there. But if I can make it work...

30. Get my 53 to actual daily driver status.....only about $500 away from that plus installing stuff like the new rear end I've bought most of what I need for so I should make that goal. Then get serious about cosmetics like getting a grill with nice chrome on it, getting serious on bodywork, and at least get the roof in real paint (not rattle can lol). Will likely pick up another vintage project to rod