Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects StNick's - 1957 Ford Custom 300 Build - Progress Begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StNick, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

Looking forward to seeing this done.

2. StNick

StNick

Hey Mtkawboy - this is Stnick - Just got through the posts on my thread and was reading your comment - saw that you did this same thing 46 yrs ago - SO DID I - It was 1964/65 in high school - drove a '57 300 with 312 to High School every day - Knew this airman who was going to loose his '64 427 to the bank so I paid him $200 - and swapped the engines before he returned the car - ya know that 312 3-spd bolted right into the '64 and used flex pipe to hook up exhaust - the 427 4spd 2x4 bolted right in the '57 also (except exhaust) - Long story short - My son Mike (and his friends) have all had lots of "fast cars" through the years - I'll take a ride and nod - "yea - it's OK - it ain't as fast as the ole 57/427 though" - This whole thing started on my 60th Birthday when Mike bought me another '57 300 - knowing that I had an old FE427 setting in the barn the said "Dad - I'm sick and tired of hearing how fast yur F&@#ing '57 was - SHOW ME" - So here we are - Ya know - this all seemed easier back in the 60's - I'll be 64 this mo. and it's much harder getting under the ole '57 - 4/5/11 - Bob Nicholas - Stnick

3. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

VERY cool! Whatamotor!

4. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

thanks for the heads up this weekend. I didnt know there was an update. What an update this is.... that large FE looks the part. The dyno pulls were tops! Thanks for sharing..

5. Y'all bringing the '57 300 to Salina?

6. roll_low

roll_low
    from Rigby, Id

Really cool build!! Making me want to build an FE for my wifes 57 Ranch Wagon!! Cant wait to see more progress! :D

7. Custom300Madman

Custom300Madman
    from Houston

Man that St. Nick build is incredible!

8. jim galli

jim galli

Subscribed! Any updates?

9. UPDATE!!!

Well it's been over a year now, StNick got the front end together, and most of the front end / under the hood parts painted.

I bought a shop in November and dad has helped me out a whole lot getting moved in and setup.

I've asked him several times about getting the '57 to the shop so we could get the chassis dialed in. But he doesn't want to get in my way.

Well he left for Denmark last week and I kidnapped his hot rod from under cardboard and carpet scraps!

[​IMG]

He won't be back until the 13th. I don't expect to get it done and delivered by then either! This is not Hollywood, this is Colorado, we don't have Chip Foose's team. Although I wish we did!

My cousin helped me get the car loaded..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the car to the shop near 11pm

[​IMG]

unloaded and in the shop by 12.

[​IMG]

My buddy Dave stopped by and helped my devise a plan to get the body off the frame. He is a drill press!! Popeye forearms!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ahh Man I love this lift!

TJJ on iPhone

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

good for you, mike. awesome move helping out your pops like that. can't wait to see this car get finished up. it's gonna rule.

11. hotrodwelder

hotrodwelder

Thats the best lookin FE i have ever seen, and the manifold is killer! keep us posted with build pics!!

12. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

I love this car & build. Always appreciate a clean '57 Ford and especially one with a giant motor stuffed between the rails. Keep up the great work on this and glad you're helping out your Pops.

13. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

Nice, I've been working on my 57 Fairlane for years. Jealous of that mill and cherry lookin car! Nice

14. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Love those Five-Sevens!!
    subscribed

15. When working on my 57 last year I found nothing in ready made headers. I built my own so I could move on. No big deal really as long as the starter would come out and all 8 tubes were the same volume. Fenderwell's were not an option for my build. That motor is just a Core but it is getting a FE with plenty of Grunt as well (maybe not as much as yours). It also has clutch linkage that had to work. Just another obstical to get around. No big deal, right?
    I also changed some on the rear end as you may want to do and found with a little work I could run a 11.5" wide tire with clearance (1.5" on each side) without cutting the wheel house or pinching the frame. I like it when tricks are hidden and don't cost an arm and leg.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

16. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

You can put hipo factory 63/64 427 manifolds on it if you want them bad enough. PM me and Ill tell you how to do it if youre interested. The right side is no problem, the left a lot of problems. I also had Ballenger Bros crossunder headers on it too later on, 2 pipes from each side cross to the opposite collector. looks like you have it handled. A buddy in Daytona is building one too only a custom cheap body which will be a 427 Car also

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  17. Thanks for all the great advice!

Saturday I took the frame out & ran a wire cup brush on it, cleaned a lot of big stuff off.

[​IMG]

Then I went to work on a crossmember, 1 3/4" tube. Sounds like overkill but dad wants ladder bars like ones he made in high school welding shop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm mocking up the ladder bar brackets to get a feel for what they are gonna look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ordered collectors, tubes, body mounts & rear leaf springs today.

As for the ladder bars, I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to attach them. I'm thinking 1" .120 wall tube & rod ends on the back, and maybe the front. I'm not sure I need rod ends at all three attachment points. I want them to be solid & adjustable.

TJJ on iPhone

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  18. DITTO!

TJJ on iPhone

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool, Mike! Looking forward to more progress and seeing what your dad's reaction is when he returns home!

Malcolm

20. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

That mill is AWESOME! My Dad and I are picking up our 57 Custom 300 today...cannot wait!

21. You're a good egg Mike! I am sooooo jealous of the new digs too!!

22. NoSurf

NoSurf

Lookin' good Billie-Ray!!!

23. I gathered a few parts today for the ladder bars, rod ends, sleeves with rubber bushings, 1"x1" square tube.

Square right? Old school ladder bars are square. Round is nice, but not old school Cool!

[​IMG]

I'm going to order a housing floater kit Monday, that should cover 90% of the housing mounting parts.

I didn't get any of the parts I ordered Monday, WTF!? no header parts, no bushings, no springs. So I guess keep going on the ladder bars & I'll start working on the inner rockers if i have time this weekend.

TJJ on iPhone

24. StNick

StNick

What tha?? - Just sitting here in kobenhouvn with cousins - thought i would show them around a coupla web sites Im familiar with - - AND - - wwhat da - looks as thou my 4-year project has been kidnapped by Mike - AAHHH Mike did you forget that you have a coupla cars that you need to be working on (22, 32, 33, 34, 40, 49, etc ) OH CRAP MAN -looken super - THX - luvya - Dad

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

hahaha! you've been found out, my friend...

26. geoking

geoking

Dear Santa,
    The elves are doing what they want to in your absence. Please hurry back to the North Pole before your special elf "mike" ...get's into too much trouble.
    Ho Ho Ho
    He is being very naughty.
    George

27. NoSurf

NoSurf

Lmfao!!!

Busted!

28. Hans Viking Slott

Hans Viking Slott
    from Denmark

He He Mike just got this pic from when Your dad found out about your stunt kidnapping the innocent defendless 57 ford
    Good Show Mike
    Cheers Hans Viking Slott

Attached Files:

29. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just found this thread and read it all. This car is gonna be a beast and I get the feeling Mike is gonna find out for sure how St. Nicks old '57 ran, and then some! Good on you Mike for "kidnapping" the car. Sounds like your Dad has your best interests at heart regarding your shop work so its cool you are trying to help him out anyway. Subscribed!