Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects StNick's - 1957 Ford Custom 300 Build - Progress Begins!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StNick, Apr 4, 2010.

1. looking forward to hearing how that paintjob comes out. been tempted to try that myself. What paint are you using?

2. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I love it, had a light blue & white one with 427/425 back in 1965 that had Ballenger Bros cross over 180 degree headers on it. What a nightmare they were to put on with all the slip together tubes that no longer fitted. Please dont ruin it by cutting the rear wheel wells out of it. A buddy of mine is building a 427 powered cheap body 57 in Port Orange Fla right now

3. JEM

JEM

Yummy. Subscribed.

There's a '57 wagon on my want list...just a little below everything I'm already working on...speaking of which today is a get-off-the-computer-and-mock-up-the-suspension day for the '64 wagon.

4. bauschracing

bauschracing

Love the car! My first car was a gift from my grandfather back in 1968. It was a custom 300 the same year as yours. It was green and white with the 312 engine and three on the tree.
    I was driving it on the road before I got my licence and my parents sold the car for $300. If I had it today. Of corse I wish I had my 1968 Camaro and 1974 GTO as well.
    Mike

5. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Just a hint...make sure you have room to get wrench on upper a frame bolts
    for alignment
    Ask me how I know. My 429 is bigger that an FE.:rolleyes:

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    from Texas

Those headers rule.

7. Dad matched it up at lowes & got a semi gloss quart. It looks like it was rolled on when you are up close. It was hot and the paint dried quick.

[​IMG]

We didn't do any body work, just scuff & roll. We might do one more coat. It matches well!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TJJ on iPhone

8. Oh now you mention it!

I think we are good, thx.

TJJ on iPhone

9. NoSurf

NoSurf

It will look good cruising Rangeline at night......

10. I got the rear-end back -1.5" on each side. axles are on the way & the 3rd member is on the way!

[​IMG]

My buddy Steve laser cut these 4" jewels!!! Threaded & everything!!! AWESOME!!

[​IMG]

I just ordered brake line parts & a 3" U-Build it exhaust kit from Speedway, should be here late tomorrow!

[​IMG]

HAMB Drags or BUST!!!!

TJJ on iPhone

11. I had to organize and clean the corner a bit today before I made a list of AN fittings I need for the fuel system.

[​IMG]

I got word the radiator was in, 1.5 cross tubes should cool this beast!!!

I pulled it out and sized it up...

[​IMG]

I trimmed the support & another test fit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I need to figure out how I'm going to mount it.

TJJ on iPhone

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  12. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

I did not need to cut my support but you could do the same, saddle on the bottom and bracket to the lower horn bolt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  13. StNick

StNick

Here is the info on the front disk brake conversion on my 57 FORD

Conversion of 1957 ford front brakes from drum to disk - After considering what would
    be needed to stop this '57 after installing my 427ci engine I decided to go with disc
    brakes - I looked at several conversion options that I found and decided on the following setup - large rotors and large calipers - This setup appears to be real nice and somewhat easy to install (but somewhat expensive) - sooooo;

1) Ordered a caliper mounting bracket from www.billsrodandcustomshop.com (I found this guy online and found him to be very helpful). The bracket bolted right on to the '57 front spindle no problem. This bracket came with detailed information of which parts would be needed to complete the conversion - how easy is that - Thanks Bill!!

2) Per the instructions I need to get 1969 Ford LTD rotors - looked at junk yard vs. new rotors and opt'd for new ones. Looked at lots of avail rotors and went with very neat slotted/drilled rotors from V1SPECS (sales@v1specs.com) (thanks David) - I really like these rotors. Also in the instructions were part numbers for the necessary hardware:
    ... 2-69 Ford LTD Rotors Raybestos P/N F6012
    ... 2- BCA A2 Wheel Bearings
    ... 2- BCA A6 Wheel Bearings
    ... 2- National 6815 Wheel Seals

3) Also in the instructions from Bill was the information on caliperers - I needed 1974 Chev Caprice calipers - and again I looked at junk yard vs. new - the decision was easy - new ones from Advanced Auto were under $30 each. And the part numbers for the necessary hardware:
    ... 2-1974 Chevy Caprice Front Calipers L&R - Federated P/N 18-4035 &18-4036
    ... 1- Set of pads for above Calipers - Raybestos P/N RR D52M
    ... 2-Front Brake Hoses Raybestos P/N BH36773
    ... 2-Caliper Banjo Bolts Raybestos P/N H 5370-2

The installation is complete and time will tell how well it works - I'm optimistic!!!

Attached Files:

14. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

Two door sedans rule in my universe !

15. That's Great!! Give's me a few ideas on how to mount it! What motor are you running in there?

16. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

351C/AOD, have a 390/C-6 in my Ranchwagon with the exact same radiator and set up.

Here is a pic of the radiator mounted and fit with the 390 in my wagon. I made two of everything when I built the mounts

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  17. Progress & boxes!!! Parts have been rolling in to my house, dads house, the shop....!

The Moser aluminum 3rd member with TruTrac posi, chromoly yoke!!! Sweet!

[​IMG]

Fuel tank....

[​IMG]

Installed!

[​IMG]

Filter, Pump, hose, fittings....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wiring Harness...

[​IMG]

Fan...

[​IMG]

I got side tracked shopping for a sewing machine.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I pick up the Adler on Tuesday!!!!

While I was gone Mason inventoried the flowmaster exhaust kit....

Everything is there, looks just like the picture!

[​IMG]

StNick & my boys also worked on the fender trim!! Looks awesome!!!

[​IMG]

The alternator brackets & fitment has us a little puzzled, we'll get it!!

[​IMG]
    TJJ on iPhone

** wish I was at KKOA :-( **

HAMB Drags or bust!!!

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

you guys are kickin' ass. see you in joplin!

19. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

If you are running the stock 57 rear housing just a little heads up, the 57 ring is actually 8 3/4", a later year 9" ring gear will not fit in the stock housing. You will need to grind a 1/4 - 3/8" relief in the upper side of the housing to get it to go in. Studs and all are the same, just that little fitment issue with the ring gear.

20. That's some seriously important information! Thank you. I love the HAMB!

Yes it's a stock housing, I'll do a test fit on the bench.

TJJ on iPhone

21. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

BAD ASS!! Chevrolet is the way, but that's a bitchin 57 Ford. I will hit you up this week and if I can help get this thing together I will. Would love to race you heads up in 3 weeks haha. Kevin

22. Well, we got the 3rd member in without any issues. Spins freely, I'm not sure if there something I'm missing, let me know. I think its good, but I don't want to find out any different later!

[​IMG]

TJJ on iPhone

23. Hey Kevin!!! glad you found the thread. I'm remodeling the basement til Wednesday then back to the shop. I think we'll do an open house work all weekend party. I've got the grill there, hamburgers and deer brats!
    I'll fill the cooler with soda & water!

TJJ on iPhone

24. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Nope you got it. Had to grind mine, would not go in. For a 65 year old balding fat man laying on his back in 100 degree weather trying to heft that big old cast iron lump it was very frustrating! Pulled it back out and saw the scar on the housing, lined it with tin foil, hit it with the 4" grinder with a rock and it went in perfect. I had read that once before and forgotten about it until I was beat trying to slid it in.

Glad it was trouble fre for you.

25. if ya dont mind what did you give for your rear leafs? im currently collecting suspension parts for my 57 all ive found soo far are either 550 or 600 both for stock heidt springs i want mine to have the same basic stance yours looks like it will have

26. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I used a '57 Ranchero rear in my Roadster. Put new 4.11 Summit brand gears in the original '57 'WAR' case/center section and didn't have fitment issues, either...

27. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"I got the rear-end back -1.5" on each side" That'll get the clearance those 5 spokes will need! I wanna see the pics of the rear installed and tires/wheels on! Man, this is a great build. vic

28. Thanks Nick!! So awesome to see your roadster on the road. Sorry I had to miss KKOA..... HAMB DRAGS or BUST!!

Ha Ha Ha !!! ME TOOO

I'm in to my neck with remodel for my boys, they share a 80 sqft room now, we are moving them into a 210+ bedroom in the basement.

Anyway, on my way home from Home Depot at 10pm I stopped by the shop and saw dad had got the brake stuff and painted it all too.

[​IMG]

I decided to finish up welding on the housing, the spring perchs needed to be adjusted for the pinion angle. We already figured out what it needed to be with shims, so it was a matter of cutting one loose, rotating it, clamp it and tack it on.

I marked the welds with a white marker so I could see them better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to use the old hand band saw...

[​IMG]

Too big to fit all the way around, so out came the never fail cutoff wheel.

[​IMG]

came off easy enough.

[​IMG]

I glass bead blasted it and cleaned the housing (ready for the StNick touch)

[​IMG]

Here it is in position for welding, I left the shims in on the far side....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can see the old shims here

[​IMG]

Clamped..

[​IMG]And welded, it took a while because I skipped around only 1/4 - 1/2 inch at a time to minimize movement.

[​IMG]

While I was at it I got the ladder bar brackets beveled and fully welded.

Maybe the rear end will be together by the weekend?

3:30 am..... I'm going to BED!

---
    I dropped off the yolk this morning, so the drive shaft is in the works too.

29. Shop Tools ....

[​IMG]

HAMB hat required

30. You are a machine!