Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical stock aluminumheads and intake 1937 ford flathead?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by choptvan, Dec 26, 2011.

1. choptvan

choptvan

So I have a customer that I am putting a 31 model a pick up together for, and he has a friend that owns what he claims to be, as a stock aluminum intake/heads on a flathead, that he says was made in 37 only? Now I am not that knowledgable yet as I am only a young guy. Think I have heard of this before but not 100% on it? Anyone know about these? Is this legit? And is $500 a good price for it? he is asking that much for it. Thanks guys

2. Capitan Insano

Capitan Insano

Yes it is a good price those heads are worth $500 to the right person.

3. jalopy45

jalopy45

4. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Yes 37 Fords had stock aluminum heads and intake. You must count the heads studs to determine if they are 21 stud or 24 stud. Are you pricing the entire engine or just the heads and intake? If its just the used heads and intake that price is not a good deal.

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I believe 37 and early 38 was the only 21 stud w water pumps on the block … 32 to 36 pumps mount on the heads.

6. oj

oj

Sounds like 21 stud to me - those are best left to the resto guys. I do like the intake, very clean piece and with a little riser and a good holley 94 makes for a great looking combo. But i would think that $500 on here (in the classified section) will get you a nice set of old Edelbrocks and a 2 duece intake. You've got the right price, just not the right pieces.

7. choptvan

choptvan

It is a 21 stud and we are pricing the whole engine. Guy is not asking much. He is just trying to move some stuff he has had for years. Is there anything else besides the wterpumps I need to be aware of? Any issue with these or anything? Not lookin for huge power, but more of the perfect look.

8. choptvan

choptvan

Really? Guess I need to do some more lookin then!

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Aluminum heads were stock on Canadian made Fords, not sure what year they started. I thought all stock intakes were aluminum? Certainly in Canada.

Fifties Mercury flatheads had a 4 bolt 2 barrel intake that will take a Rochester 2 barrel off a Chev 283.

10. choptvan

choptvan

Good to know. I have a few of those carbs laying around.

11. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

1937 truck motor in my '31 roadster
    stock '37 aluminum 1 carb intake
    [​IMG]

Later upgraded to a 2 carb offy intake with stock replacement (non-canadian) heads
    [​IMG]

Theres nothing wrong with these motors. It amazes me how many guys tell me I have to swap it out for something else when they cant even get a smallblock to run right...

12. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Theres one of those engines about 5 minutes from my house. The poor thing has been sitting on the back of a AA truck for decades, outdoors. I'm sure the parts are toast by now. Shame.

13. choptvan

choptvan

Awesome pix of a great car! Thanks for the help fellas! Just wanted to be sure. Tis better to learn first, then be taken advantage of.

14. callcoy

callcoy

Vern Tardel uses a pair of them along with the matching intake and carb for his mailbox. The mailbox is hidden under the heads and manifold. For those of you that are interested, I will be posting "Tech Tour" in a few days here and and on the Monthly Banger site. This tour that took place Dec. 4th starts at Tardel's and continues down to Steve Nelson's. It will have approx. 130 photos of both locations, Bonneville Record holders, guests such as Kent Fuller of FED 1960-70's fame and etc. I am on the road and have to clear up some details before I can post this.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  15. Heo2

Heo2

37 was avaible with both alu and iron heads
    alu heads have lower comp.and hp
    i think 80 vs 90 if i remember right

16. yblock292

yblock292

I've got a set and the intake, was told canadian flatheads had them.

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've got "endlessearth's" '29 in my place right now, and it has a '37 or 8 21 stud with aluminum heads and a Thickstun two two manifold. Absolutely runs great and is enough power for a light, fenderless car. Also runs ultra cool too! Kind of a nice change of pace for a flathead! I f that engine runs for 500.00, I'd call it a good deal!

18. choptvan

choptvan

Tahnks guys. Sounds Like I need to push for this. Those pix look great.

19. Most of the aluminum heads have become corroded beyond use. The cast iron heads are better for that reason in all except a high end restoration.

Charlie Stephens

20. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I disagree, Charlie, or companies would be reproducing cast heads and not aluminum. Antifreeze has come along way in 75 years.
    My cast heads were rotting from the inside and chunks were starting to block the water jackets, with the set up now the engine runs between 160 deg and 180 on the hottest days, easily 10-15 deg cooler now

21. ScottV

ScottV

Sorry if this seems like a bit of a hi-jack but I have a flathead quesiton, is a V8-60 the same physical size of other flatheads of is it smaller ???

Thanks, ScottV

22. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

The V8-60 is quite a bit smaller than the V8-85.

The 60 was very popular in midget racing for that reason.

23. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

My Dads 36 had the factory aluminum heads and they are a LOT of hassle. If you ever have to get them off it takes a sledge hammer and they come off in pieces. There was another thread on here that discussed this issue and many had the same problems.

24. barry wny

barry wny

I got this one, first picture, no problem with taking them off cleaned up nice, clear engine paint. Several years later, last summer, I am swapping it for a fresh rebuild. 3rd picture also shows the factory single intake. Use a NoRosion addative to prevent electrolisys. They do pit especially when bad water and metal gaskets are used, get Felpro fiber. I paint them with aluminum spray paint, usually can re-use, what a stock car racer told me.
    Gotta pay attention is the piston design, I rebuilt the other motor with dome top pistons, couldn't use the aluminum heads because they are flat tops in the original, had to paint cast heads, don't like it as much. $500 is not bad price if it will free up, the one I have in the pictures was easy to get loose. But the valve seats were rusty, ran worse, had to pull them all grind/lap/adjust.
    Lived west of Colorado springs for a year long ago, visited in November, when kid gets done school we're talking about moving back out permanent.

Attached Files:

25. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

$500.00 for a 1937 stock old 21 stud flathead would be top dollar. Theres a whole lot of issues you can discover once the intake and heads are removed. If the price was $300.00 then the gamble would be close to worth it.
    Usually once the heads are removed you will find cracks caused by over heating these cracks will be located from the intake valve seat to the cylinder bore. The block can be saved each cracked cylinder including valve seat repair would cost about $100.00 per hole. So it all depends on if any cylinders are bad and how many. The 21 stud flathead is not the best to get involed with if you dont know its condtion before handing over that much cash.
    The above information is based on my experiance building well over 300 flatheads to date from bone stock restorations to all out drag and land speed motors with a whole lot more wating to be built.

26. K. Thornton

K. Thornton

So if all of the aluminum were either 21's or canadian

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

27. K. Thornton

K. Thornton

What are these? nos aluminum ford ?

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

Attached Files:

28. choptvan

choptvan

Damn. Lots of mixed feeling on this one. Guess we'll just have to check out the issues a bit better and see what we have...

29. Willy,

Companies produce aluminum heads because it is less expensive to cast aluminum and there is a market for aluminum heads (usually finned) because they look better. There is a supply of cast iron heads (they lasted longer than the aluminum ones) to support the market and therefore they are not reproduced. I agree 100% that antifreeze (antirust) and the tendency to use it has come a long way in 75 years. The low quality antifreeze (or people not using any) contributed to the demise of aluminum heads that were run a long time ago. Of course cast heads (I assume you mean iron) rotted without antirust chemicals but they would still outlast the aluminum ones.

Charlie Stephens