Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Tapatalk & The H.A.M.B. App

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 28, 2021.

1. How do I access all of The H.A.M.B site from my phone ? I have the app on my phone but can't gain access to the great features of the The H.A.M.B like I can with my laptop. Also trying to figure out why I keep being told I dont have enough permission to reply or communicate . Still going through a learning process here.

2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-6-14_8-12-39.png

Hello,

You can search Google and type in HAMB. Then this screen pops up. Despite the size of the posted photo, the screen on my Android phone is one of the largest screens for a phone. But, it does not compare in clarity, speed convenience, and size to my 17" laptop. There are too many drawbacks to using the HAMB website from the phone.
    upload_2021-6-14_8-13-15.png
    All posted items from the phone have to be sideways as there is not enough room to type onto the reply or post screen. Then when it is sideways, you have to keep scrolling down to get the typing to fit. Don't even think about adjusting photo size for clarity on the small screen. When you take a photo from the phone, it is going to fill up the whole page. Using the edit portion of the phone will limit that size. The whole time you are staring at a small screen trying to get the adjustments correct, so the photo is not blurry or not composed correctly.
    upload_2021-6-14_8-13-35.png upload_2021-6-14_8-14-15.png
    Not that I would ever use my Android phone to check the HAMB website, as it is just too small and too much of a hassle.

Jnaki
    The comparison and ease of use is so evident. But...YRMV

upload_2021-6-14_8-25-15.png

XXL__, engine138 and warbird1 like this.
  3. Muffy Bennett

Muffy Bennett
    from Arizona

I think I speak for many when I say I am grateful you took this stand.

4. chiro

chiro

App deleted.
    Andy

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

How do I find the posts I’ve participated in/followed? It’s probably already been asked on this thread.

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never once used the app.

7. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have noticed that when I access the hamb on my tablet, that the posts on it are way older than what appears on my computer. Anyone know why?

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

If you are using Google as a source when you type in HAMB,(even if you don't) then Google is updating each search to the latest specs. Sometimes, in most cases, it still has the old information. But, it should not take too long to get it to the correct updated page. Or, you could just hit the left to right arrow circle in the tab section.
    upload_2021-7-17_4-43-11.png
    That will certainly update or reboot the screen and its information.

In recent weeks, when I use my Android Tablet in another part of the house or backyard, if I go to the Google search page, sometimes the Google information section is still a day old. Then within several moments, it updates itself to the latest posted news items. Our electronic information highway is fast and is constantly changing with what you have recently typed in or have used on your searches.

There is so much stuff constantly changing on our devices and laptop/desktop computers every day, so each site needs a moment or two to update.

Jnaki

Your computer or tablet is not broken, it is just needs a little re-boot or get rid of the website cookies, as they track your everyday movements and make your search similar to your daily searches/stops.

Sometimes it helps if you use a website/computer/device "cleaner" program. (and not click on every small window or video topic...) A good cleaner program wipes all activity where you left a trace, usually... But, those advertisements and big businesses still have ways to track your choices and give you what they think is necessary. YRMV

Be aware of what you open on your computer. The term is "click bait"... and it does exactly as it should, it catches your eye for whatever reason and tempts you to open that website or story.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    ratrodrodder likes this.
  9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Jnaki: I Can't find that arrow thing. When I look up this thread, it lists Highlander as being the last response yet when I click on it, your words manage to show up. I'm definitely technology challenged.

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-7-18_9-35-28.png
    Hello G,
    This time I used Mozilla Firefox web search typing in h.a.m.b. and got the Jalopy Journal link. Now, all I have to do it to click on the link. If and when it opens up, if it does not show the latest information or newest posts, click on that circular arrow next to the back space tab. The red square and arrow are added for emphasis. The red will not be on your webpage used for searches.

Here is the same HAMB search on Microsoft Bing web engine.
    The little black circle with an arrow is the refresh or update tab that you click and it should update the information search that you just performed.
    upload_2021-7-18_9-41-18.png

Jnaki
    With all of the information over the web, at least someone decided to have similar "tabs" that perform the same thing: Update or Refresh the screen. When anyone stays on a webpage screen for too long without moving or doing any additions, the webpage will close and you will need to log in again. Sometimes, if the wait is long enough to walk to the kitchen from the living room and back, then again, click on the circular arrow tab to get the refresh or update.

We have all done our time on mistakes and learned from it. So, it is good to save some of the HAMB topics for a refresher course. Or, you can highlight the whole page, copy and paste it onto a Word Document or some blank page. Then save it to your own computer for access when in doubt.

good luck...

ratrodrodder likes this.
  11. goldmountain

goldmountain

I found it. Thank you .

jnaki likes this.
  12. AGELE55

AGELE55

Thanks for standing up and doing whats right. I abandoned Facecrook for similar reasons. I also now use Duckduckgo as a browser to prevent tracking. Duckduckgo actually shows you the number of entities attempting to track you, and it is AMAZING. FB & GOOGLE are huge offenders. My record is 35 blocked trackers for a single click.

13. I for one am looking forward to Ryan's newest version of the Hamb, I have been happy with each update over the years and each time the Hamb has gotten easier to use and a snap to navigate.

As for apps & cell phones, I was recently forced into a smart phone because the provider network would no longer support my 14 year old cell phone, I don't use it for anything but as a phone, I will continue using a PC for connecting to the internet. HRP

14. Von Brush

Von Brush
    from Corfu, NY

15. Von Brush

Von Brush
    from Corfu, NY

16. Von Brush

Von Brush
    from Corfu, NY

I had used the app since I joined. Once it was dropped I had difficult y figuring how to get back on. Well l guess l have found the secret. Hopefully l will be posting again. I am not tech savvy and will be eighty next month. Wish me luck. I do not have a computer and only use tablet.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  17. Aspirin is the only tablet around my house. Guess you're more advanced than me lol...

loudbang, Hamtown Al and AGELE55 like this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

A tablet for the most part is a miniature computer. My own Android Tablet has the HAMB on it and it is not an app. It is a simple, but considerably smaller vision of the current computer website we used daily. If I am away from my 17 inch laptop or my larger desktop screen, and I need to find something, the tablet with the Google search is a handy piece of modern encyclopedia access.

But, for the most part, the tablet has access to other tabs and games, whereas the larger computer is better for overall convenience for typing, photo/movie editing, transferring, saving valuable family stuff and reading stories. Don't get me wrong, the tablet has its place in all things electronic. It is handy, smaller in size and can be put inside a suitcase for travel uses. It just is not as powerful as the 17 inch custom laptop or the larger screen desktop. Also, saving stuff needs an outside hard drive for more storage.

Jnaki

The one thing these tired old eyes does not like is to have to read something that is tiny in size for long periods of time. Yes, I know I can boost the size of the screen and lettering, but, for us old folks, it is just a temporary use, mini computer. The other thing is to try and type on that funky keyboard versus the normal keyboard of a laptop or the wireless unit on the larger screen desktop set up. The normal keyboard creates less errors due to the convenience of larger keys that we have been using since high school.

There are a lot of people that only use tablets, but now that you can get the real HAMB on the Google search parameters, so it is similar. The look is the same and so is the information, just a lot smaller. If you only have a tablet, fine, use it and get good at doing "TABLET" stuff. YRMV

There is a whole world of convenience and comfort in a larger lightweight laptop versus a small tablet. The larger laptop will increase your ability to create, take care of family business and not have to strain your eyes at constantly looking at a smaller screen. the cost is negligible as daily use works into low cost for the more expensive laptop. but, the larger screen is what is worth the extra convenience.

It took me a long time to convince my wife to get a larger screen for her daily computer projects and email usage. Then she got a small Apple Iphone and that took over the use of a quick research for facts or "Who was that character we saw in that old movie during 2005, etc..." But she still uses the larger screen daily.

On our "off large screen" home computer time, both of us use a small portable tablet for reading the extensive novels, but have enlarged the print. Ha! It is as if we are reading those small books we all used to read at will, except now, it is relatively free and accessible. YRMV...

19. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

i m not sure where this started , or , where its going . i just have a hamb link saved . click a hundred or so times a day . goes there each time . updates each time . no firewall orany of the shit you here you better have . my laptop is 10 ?yrs old . no breaches ? my flip fone still works flawlessly but i think i heard 3 g might be obsolete 2022. windows worked fine till it went to some new window . now that works fine hack away .the field is long farrow . is that a word ? i did cut the land line this year , or last . took a little caniving . but i still have my 25 yr old ph # . if i changed it no one could call and tell me who just died . i guess it could be worse!