Register now to get rid of these ads!

Telephone Bed

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by unkamort, Nov 1, 2008.

1. unkamort

unkamort

Anyone remember these things? I know they were used on Bell trucks at least up into the early 60's. After a couple of searches this is the only pic I could come up with. Anyone have access to the dimentions? I'd like to try and find one for my project if it came anything close to fitting. There must still be a few out there somewhere. Any additional pix would be great! Junkers... what have you?

Attached Files:

2. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

here are some pictures i stole from google... there seemed to be plenty of pictures when i searched for "telephone truck" but i didn't see any pages with any substantial info. good luck with your quest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  3. fordy7coupe

fordy7coupe
    from Wylie, TX

Here's a few more pictures.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Try anderson salvage in evans, colorado. They specialize in trucks, and it's amazing what they have. Be prepared though-they are not cheap!

5. Degreaser

Degreaser

Theres a truck museum shown in the photo above, maybe they can give you the dimensions.

6. Saw one go on ebay a few years ago thought it was too cool but as usual I was too broke. I think it was a 55 or 56 F100. It'd make an awesome work truck.

7. I whacked one into a trailer in '65 to haul parts to swap meets. Lots of storage, but heavy as hell.

8. fordy7coupe

fordy7coupe
    from Wylie, TX

You want telephone trucks, we got telephone trucks...

Attached Files:

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

There was a junk yard that we passed every weekend back in the early 60s that had about 20 of them. They were on 53-56 F-100 chassis. C&P Telephone.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

There was one running around here,,old Bell Tel . truck still has it paint 48 49 Ford I think it is
    Sloped box

11. unkamort

unkamort

Thanks for the replys. I knew a guy who bought a pair of Fords (61/62?) surplus. In his estimation they were worthless for any thing except the phone company and he tossed'em. I thought they has a style point or two, with the sloped back. I do need to carry a bit of equipment around, so a lockable bed is something I'v been pondering. My first idea of using an old round top frige, besides being laughed out of existance, was just too narrow and looked out of scale. I'll probably end up going with conventional bed sides and a locking lid.

12. daddio211

daddio211

I'm a telephone man myself, and have always wanted to build one of these for my daily driver. Have seen a few around, they don't seem to be too hard to come by. Then again, I haven't been looking for one to buy!

13. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

My dad was a telephone man. He told me that he hated to see those old trucks go because many of the phones he took out of people's houses had cockroaches living in them and it was nice to have those in the separate box.

14. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

There is one on my 58 ford parts truck, but it is exremely rusty

15. Southfork

Southfork

I know where a mid-40's Ford pickup with a "utility bed" is. The bed is not sloped on the back, but still looks cool as hell. No way of knowing if Bell Telephone ever had this in its fleet, but some utility business must have.

Incidentally, I have a pair of 1930/31 Model A roadster doors (for a future project) that has "Bell Telephone" barely visible on the outside door sides. I wonder what the 1930s Telephone vehicle looked like that wore those doors? Anybody got any clue?

16. daddio211

daddio211

The typical 30's telephone truck was just a 1/2 ton with painted doors. Some equipment was carried in the bed, but only supervisors had vehicles.

Most line men and splicers either walked or rode horseback to the site. These pickups typically hauled small utility trailers to the site, unhooked them, chained them to the pole. The trailers were pre-loaded with all of the materials needed so the line men or splicer would only have to carry their tools. After the job was finished the line man or splicer would lock the trailer up again and report to the supervisor who would come get the trailer at a later date.

I have one of these trailers and will eventually make it into a usable trailer to tow behind our Model A. Although it won't have the Model T spoke wheels on it, it will be mostly restored complete with Bell logos. After all, I am a phone man!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  17. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

You mean Riverside Truck Salvage,Andersons is in Greeley.

18. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I had one for many years. It was on an old dodge frame that was made into a trailer. I used it for many years to haul tools to construction sites then later to haul camping gear. It was this one.
    [​IMG]

19. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  20. MTABike

MTABike

I picked this up a few weeks ago. Be happy to measure anything you'd like on it if it would help.

Attached Files:

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

My friend has one in New Mexico. PM me for $ and details!

22. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I saw one at a classic oriented car lot in Pendleton Oregon a few years ago. I just glanced through my pictures and could not find one of it and unfortunately I don't recall the name of the car lot. It is the kind of place where something might sit for a few years.

23. daddio211

daddio211

Update: the trailer I spoke about above was finally brought home and posted some pics. Help me identify it if you can please, I remembered it saying "BELL CORPORATION" on it but now I can't find it... maybe it didn't have it after all.

Here's the thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315061

24. I just picked up a 53 Chevy version of one of these trucks. What type of rear fenders were used? were they all the same on these beds?
    Between the time I made the deal, and I picked it up, someone "stole" the rear fenders, and the whole front clip...

25. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

There's a Ford on the 'Bay now. The rear fenders look pretty generic, maybe use a set of trailer fenders:

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  26. Weasel

Weasel

There's a hot rodded 1950 Ford telephone truck running around the San Diego area. Awesome truck, beautifully painted by SoCal Paintworks in Santee.

[​IMG]

charleyw and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

I had a 34 ford 1/2 ton in the mid 50's. It had belonged to a small phone co. in upstate NH. It was Bell green with a slantback utility body. I'm sure it was a factory built phone bed but it was entirely made of wood. I think we used it in the club shop's wood heater that winter.:eek:

28. I wasn't sure if each make used their own fenders, or if the box maker supplied them.
    The fuck that took them surely still has them. If not, I'll try to find something that will work.

29. Thumper

Thumper

Damn.. I remember seeing a bunch of those in a truck junkyard called Skinners Truck parts in Fayetteville back in 70-71. Huge ass yard..they still might have a few.