Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. snoop74

snoop74

It honestly wouldn’t be too bad, my best friend is a firefighter in Bryan. I may have to take you up on that. CS is about a hour away

31chevymike likes this.
  2. Shitbox

Shitbox
    from Chico

Very sound advice here. Did a bunch of research on how people were building these termite traps with or w/o wood and starting with your main sills, then cowl, then doors then body definitely is the way to go. Once you get the sills made and cowl squared/leveled you can cleco the door skins to it* to make your a pillars.
    *you’ll still need some support and I’ve been using some square tube to make L brackets to clamp/tack to the frame to bear most of the weight temporarily

tb33anda3rd, 31chevymike and Six Ball like this.
  3. @Jay Altemus that's great advice by @tb33anda3rd Here's the only picture of mine I could find. I had the original wood sills and copied them. I also added cross pieces that I could mount my seats to. Keep up the good work!
    Tom Final Weld 05.jpg

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Tom, Are the front pillars wood?

31chevymike and TFoch like this.
  5. No I copied the wood ones I had that were in rough shape and made them out of sheet steel.

31chevymike likes this.
  6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You are GOOD! :D

31chevymike and TFoch like this.
  7. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

Yesterday was “eat humble pie” day. I had a really nice time yesterday making deck rain channel. Got to use my shrinker/stretcher. My plan was to make an exact duplicate of the rusty channel I had. (Bad idea). What I made doesn’t fit.
    I need to install the pieces inside the car individually FIRST, and only then should I join them. Oh well. I cut what I had in half at diagonal corners for a test fit anyway. My assembly plan was not thought through and as a result I’ll probably do this all over again. I know I shouldn’t let “perfect” be the enemy of “good enough” but I now have a plan that will give a much better result and the cost of materials was $10.
    IMG_7097.jpeg IMG_7122.jpeg IMG_7126.jpeg IMG_7129.jpeg IMG_7143.jpeg

8. Doug G

Doug G
    from Manheim Pa

9. Doug G

Doug G
    from Manheim Pa

Here is pictures from my 1933 Chevy Master Town Sedan "A" and "B" pilars duplicated in 16 gauge sheet metal boxed to match contours. Very pleased with results after finishing all wood replacement in the car !

31 B'ville, TFoch and Jay Altemus like this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Anybody can build a Ford.

11. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Doug, nice work on reproducing your wood parts to steel! You need to delete all of the duplicate photos. When I responded to your post, I can see that you posted 2 photos - 6179873 & 6179874. Let's see more photos of your build!

TFoch likes this.
  12. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

Really busy week and nothing accomplished on the 34.
    There are factory holes in the rear fender well (circled). The rectangle of rust is where I had placed a brace while I was media blasting the body interior.
    Question. Was there a bracket there that mounted to the wood framing (now steel)?
    I’m thinking that a bracket there would help support the wheel well and weight of the rear fenders. Clearly the rear fenders mounted to the wheel well using the holes at the top perimeter of the wheel well.
    IMG_7171.jpeg IMG_7172.jpeg IMG_7173.jpeg

Six Ball and 31chevymike like this.
  13. snoop74

snoop74

14. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

Snoop,
    Nice work. I have my original 1934 door latches for the B pillar but I imagine there might be other, possibly better options for door latches.
    Can you share details about what latches you used?

15. snoop74

snoop74

I ended up just using the speedway bear jaw latches. Then I think it’s like Carolina customs makes the spring loaded mechanism for the shaft. Which I had to cut down to fit my inner door a bit and relocate the spring
    IMG_9965.jpeg
    IMG_9967.jpeg IMG_9826.jpeg

31chevymike and Kelly Burns like this.
  16. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

Big day. Screwed the rockers in place using metal straps. The 5/16” rod (incorrectly said 3/8” in the video) is the top of the rocker at the sill plate and it lines up nicely with the floor beam.
    I also finished the top radius of a rocker patch panel I made. That 5/16” rod was welded to flat bar and used as an anvil to roll the top edge over to finish off the top of the rocker like the original was. The original sill plate fits like a glove. VIDEO LINK
    IMG_7193.jpeg IMG_7195.jpeg IMG_7197.jpeg IMG_7199.jpeg IMG_7200.jpeg IMG_7201.jpeg
    IMG_7202.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2024 at 4:18 AM
  17. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I was looking on the net to see if new reproduction rocker panels were available for your '34, to no avail. The work you're fabricating so far is very impressive Jay!

18. 31chevymike

31chevymike

19. snoop74

snoop74

Thanks, hadn’t decided if I should put inner door handles or just reach my hand out. I’d have to figure out some pulley system for the inside

20. Jay Altemus

Jay Altemus

I was asking on FB about these holes in my rear wheel wells. Sensible answers were few but it seems to be a hole for a brace connection, perhaps the cross brace labeled B3 that goes across the frame, or the diagonal (mostly vertical) brace just a few inches forward of B3.
    Anyway, someone contributed pics of some rear wheel wells that were not rotted at the bottom.
    It looks like the bottom edge of the wheel well had a flange that nailed to the underside of beam A at the rear of the car. Since that area would stay wet the longest, it would rot first. Mine are completely gone of course. Here are some pics if you are interested.
    IMG_7171.jpeg IMG_7172.jpeg IMG_6599.jpeg IMG_7207.jpeg IMG_7213.jpeg IMG_7216.jpeg IMG_7212.jpeg IMG_7206.jpeg IMG_7211.jpeg