Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. GaryS

GaryS

My project is a long way down the road, but I'll be interested in seeing information about the same things.

Since cooling line length is determined by the engine/ transmission dimensions, the B-body lines should be okay as long as a matching radiator is used. I plan on using a custom aluminum radiator, so they can install the cooler connections where I need them. Another consideration might be motor mount bracket interference.

2. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Hey fairly new to this Form. I was wondering if any of you have used the Dropped spindles for these 55-56 Dodge or Plys?
    I have a 1956 Dodge Coronet Lancer 2-door H.T. That I'm wanting to put the Disc.converion on. I have Looked at the AAJs and the ECIs on line, have not desided which to buy yet. But anyhow I'm thinking of putting one of the dropped spindles on my list . Just wanted to know how it has worked for others if one of you have used it.:confused::confused:
    Jonathan

3. PISTON.N.PIPES

PISTON.N.PIPES

I have one of these i built several 6-7 years ago, i still take it out on occasion.
    I have a few parts laying around from the build if anyone needs them shoot me an e-mail Pistons.n.Pipes@gmail.com
    i have all 4 vent windows, i think its L/S lower rear Q-pannel i deff have one side, 4 arm rests they are diff colors though, i might have some of the stainless trim would have to look, i know i have a few more parts but im not sure what they are...need to look
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Big Swede likes this.
  4. heavy

heavy

I have the ajj brakes on my '56 coronet they work great fairly simple install. I think Fatman sells the dropped uprights. I don't have them. I just cut a coil andit dropped it a good bit.

Lucky 13 Ft. Worth, Texas

5. 73RR

73RR

For disc brake swaps be sure to chat with our very own olddaddy aka www.rustyhope.com

Good stuff and a great guy!

6. GaryS

GaryS

It was too good to be true...

Somewhere, I read that an early B-body rear end was a bolt-in for a '56 Plymouth. Not true. The track is fine, but the spring perches are off by over 3" , so it looks like I'll have to have them moved.

Not sure if I should remove the perches...with the integral shock mount...from the Belvedere rear end, and mount them on the newer axle, or use the newer style shock plates. Using the newer plates would place the shocks at a slightly different angle from the stock setup.

Anyone with an opinion?

7. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Hey Gary,

What year rear end? as long as the track is fine, it should work out. If you can save the spring perches on the old rear end. I am going to try to save mine, but if not, I am going to use the shock plates off an 8-3/4 rear. The difference is not that much and it should be fine. It is my back up plan.

8. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Just got back from spring fling in van nuys, southern california. This is a 1955 Plymouth Belvedere, 2 door post. 528 Hemi, Fatman Fab stubframe, 4-link rear and 5 speed tko overdrive..bad ass for sure! owner was a good guy and answered all of my questions. Here's some pics. I took alot for fitment issues, and the radiator mounting.

Attached Files:

Chilberto likes this.
  9. GaryS

GaryS

I don't know the exact year of the rear end, but according to the dimensions, it was from an early B-body.

That's a nice Hemi-powered '55!

I thought about a Mustang II style clip, but several respected opinions said it wasn't strong enough. I'd also like to keep it as much Mopar as possible, so I'm still considering alternatives.

The fabrication required to use a Dakota clip is a bit intimidating and I haven't made a firm decision about the front end yet. I might just convert to stock power steering and rebuild everything else, though I really don't like the mushy road feel with the stock box. Sure wish there was a way to convert to a later Mopar box.

10. what about the mid 70's Volare clip or the early 80's Fury....is that a good fit...with their k-frame as one unit?

11. GaryS

GaryS

I considered them, and haven't ruled it out, and I've only talked to one guy who did that swap on a '55. He said it wasn't the easiest swap, but didn't really explain it clearly.

I don't have a factory drawing with the Volare frame dimensions, so I haven't really had a chance to compare the frames. I will do that before I make a final decision.

12. GaryS

GaryS

I'm still weighing the pros and cons of a Dakota swap, but because of the complexity of the job I'm now leaning toward rebuilding the stock suspension and steering. One thing I want to do is replace the steering wheel and column with one from the aftermarket.

Since the OEM design has the worm gear attached to a one piece shaft all the way to the steering wheel, I would have to cut the shaft and either spline or "D" it to mate with the aftermarket shaft.

The car now has a manual box, so I'm a bit worried about steering effort by going to a smaller steering wheel. Has anyone had experience with a setup like this? I really hate to convert to an ancient power steering unit with it's effortless wander and dead feel, but I don't want to fight excessively heavy steering either. The lesser weight of a modern small block and aluminum TorqueFlite should help some, but it still has me concerned.

13. 35desoto

35desoto

THE STEERING ON ONE OF THESE CARS IS ONE OF THE LIGHTEST IN THE INDUSTRY - THEY HAVE A LOVELY LIGHT TOUCH ON A MANUAL BOX HOWEVER THEY HAVE A LONG NUMBER OF TURNS FROM LOCK TO LOCK. a SMALLER WHEEL WILL GET A BIT HEAVIER HOWEVER THE PAYBACK WILL BE LESS DISTANCE FOR YOUR HANDS TO TRAVEL WHEN TURNING THE WHEEL. COULD WORK OUT TO BE A GOOD COMPROMISE YET A GOOD WHEEL AND HORN RING LOOK GREAT ON THESE CARS BUT THATS MY OPINION

Chilberto likes this.
  14. GaryS

GaryS

Yes, these models do steer decently with manual steering, but like you said, it takes a lot of turns lock to lock. I owned a '55 Savoy with manual steering and had no problems when I was still a strong kid in 1959, but it might be a different story with a worn out 70-year-old trying to maneuver into a parking spot with a 15" diameter steering wheel.

15. 35desoto

35desoto

AH that Mexican again - Manual Labour. I know him well. We have right hand drive cars here so finding a power steering box to fit our side is harder than in the USA yet I would be keen to learn what fits and what doesn't. Necessity becomes the mother of invention

16. ButchsCoolStuff

ButchsCoolStuff

Have done several '55 Plymouths over the years and one '55 Dodge. Joined the group, now how do I post some pics of them on it?

17. t-rod

t-rod

This is Dad's '55 Lancer. He passed a couple years ago and (step)Mom is holding onto his cars. Once some family drama/politics are sorted out, I hope to get this one and finish it. I remember a few things Dad told me about the car and got more history on it last time I saw Mom. They picked it up in Flagstaff AZ 4ish years ago with a Volare front end already under it (wish I'd gotten pics for the above posters) and a later model rear axle but I couldn't get a good look at what it is. It has a 360/727 out of a 84 Lil' Red Express truck my brother-in-law swapped a late model Hemi into. The car seems really straight and pretty solid (but I haven't seen the floors yet). I think it wouldn't take much to get her going. If anyone in the Flagstaff area recognizes the car and can provide more history on it, I'd much appreciate it.

Attached Files:

• 069.jpg
      069.jpg
      File size:
      463.5 KB
      Views:
    • 068.jpg
      068.jpg
      File size:
      492.4 KB
      Views:
  18. jrod1955

jrod1955
    from iowa

I have put a 87 dodge dakota front clip on 1955 plymouth. Only had to do a few minor modification to make is work. Dakota parts are cheap and easy to come up with. Depending on where you cut, the frame rails are really close in width.

19. GaryS

GaryS

Did you have to put drop spindles on the Dakota clip to bring it down to car height?

20. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

Here's a picture of mine that I took this past weekend.
    [​IMG]

Satan's Chauffeurs

21. SapienKustom

SapienKustom
    from Merced, CA

[​IMG]

Satan's Chauffeurs

22. Big Dad

Big Dad

Does anyone know anything about this ?

[​IMG]

SintownKing and bomcadillac like this.
  23. heavy

heavy

I think I like it.

Lucky 13 Ft. Worth, Texas

24. 35desoto

35desoto

Its based on a 55 Desoto Diplomat - export model to such places as Australia and New Zealand. These were rebadged, regrilled and different trim Plymouths. The pickup part is defintely aftermarket as none were sold new here in New Zealnd like that.
    I have a 1955 desoto Diplomat Station wagon which is the same type of car front shown here. Most were l6 and some V8's based on the plymouth 259V8. I think they look fantastic and make a dowdyb 55 Plymouth look bloody fantastic - defintely different!!

25. WOW!! What's not to like?? Nicley executed. :cool::cool::cool:

26. Kustom Kulture LI

Kustom Kulture LI
    from Amityville

You mean other than it's awesome?

Chilberto likes this.
  27. Big Dad

Big Dad

haha

Like who built it any other pictures

I like it too !

28. I'm now the owner of the '55 Coronet from page 25. Car came from Iowa. It's now in Maryland. Skirts removed, Lancer caps and pinners. Gonna drive it for the summer. Over the winter, I hope to lower it about 3 inches with chrome reversed and wide whites.

[​IMG]

29. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

30. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

that is so clean! just a sweet ride!