Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Buildy

Buildy

For you the closest that comes to mind is the Millers at Milwaukee meet in July.
    Held at the Historic Milwaukee Mile,dozens of classic open wheel racers have track time on sat and sun. I will look up and post a link to the Miller Offenhauser Historical Society,which will have the dates and info.

http://www.milleroffy.com/

This should provide some interesting reading and viewing. Right now it only says July 2008,but IIRC the date is usually close to July 10.

2. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Yes but it sure is kool
    "Doc"

3. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

We raced Midgets there years ago and it was without a doubt the World's Fastest 3/8
    "Doc"

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Who was that masked man? None other than Gorden Wooley.

Attached Files:

5. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

Did anyone else notice the injectors leaning in the mud covered car?

6. Buildy

Buildy

Yup,the engine is mounted on an offset angle.

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Kinda weird little car, I think the motor is leaned over for driveline clearance and the r/h steering leads me to believe its a asphalt car running on dirt. I don't have any other info other than he was hurt in that car when it flipped and the cage collapsed. Maybe a west coast HAMBER can elaborate.

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Bobby Grim

Attached Files:

9. rdzimm2001

rdzimm2001

Some of the best vintage "racing shows" in the Ohio-Mich. area are put on by the antique Auto Racing Association ( AARA ) who have been doing shows for about 25+ years. All their cars are pre 1950 era, and include all classes from speedsters ( Model "A"s and "T"s), big cars ( what they were called before they were called Sprint Cars), midgets, ( both Offy, Ford V8-60, modified Ford Ferguson tractor and other assorted small engines), and of course the 3/4 midgets which were usually Crosley powered. Check them out at www.antiqueautoracing.com for their '08 schedule and general info.There's nothing quite like seeing these guys stand on the gas and slinging a little dirt. Enjoy the sight, sounds and, smells of yesterday.
    You may also want to check out the magazine " Vintage Oval Racing", which is the bible of this hobby. It lists most of the active clubs and their racing schedule throughout the U.S. Check them out at www.vintageovalracing.com.
    I was an avid member of the AARA group prior to taking my toys and moving to Kansas.
    CHEERS !!!! Dick Zimmerman, Louisburg, KS.

10. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

[QUOTE="Doc" Parsons;2548826]We raced Midgets there years ago and it was without a doubt the World's Fastest 3/8
    "Doc"[/QUOTE]

I've heard that it has been closed to be used as a storage facility for a local factory. Don't know how much of that is true, but a great one may have bit the dust!

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Here's how John Redican backs'er in.

Attached Files:

12. mickellis

mickellis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Heres some Midjets from OZ. Photos were taken ostly at the old Clarmont
    show grounds track. Cars 4, 12 & 30 where driven by Bill Jost (Who gave me the photos). These 3 cars where all Holden Grey powered.

13. Buildy

Buildy

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2355/2171913382_955608cee0_o.jpg

Here is something you guys might like. These are Micro-Machines toys that came out in the 1990s and are a dead ringer for a dirt champ car,sprint or midget according to how I detail them.
    This shot is of three sprint cars at Williams Grove Speedway in 1954.
    These cars are only 1 inch long,appox 1/87 scale.

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

This is a great shot..

[​IMG]

15. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

That was a great track for some real close action it's a shame if it did in fact close down..

16. kenny g

kenny g

I have tried to post pics but I cant,I dont know what
    i am doing wrong.I can post as a new thread.but cant add
    to this.thread.

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Are you clicking on the red 'post reply' box just under your avatar? and not the 'quick reply' box ?

18. the shadow

the shadow

here are a couple pics from my family album (moms side) they are of my uncle ronny polis who ran midgits in the 50's on asphalt & dirt he ran the #2 or somtimes it was a #12. he competed every week and was picked to drive for offenhouser along with a fellow racer & good friend for the 1958 season. unfortunatly my uncle was killed in a race in late 1957 in Hagerstown MD and his buddy was kiled in early '58 in a non-race related accident. my grandfather also worked on gasoline alley in ID and crewed for cars in the '40s. the scond picture is of ronny housholder, he was my uncles inspiration/mentor. the last pic is of a young mario andretti after he won the ronny polis memorial race at hatfield speedway in the spring of 1958. one of my uncles commisioned a photographer to take this pic (my uncle is the one handing him the trphy) and he has the original print + the negative. when mario wrote his auto biography he had a pic of him in a sprint car @ 1960 or 61??? that stated that it was his first win ever in an open wheeled car. well when he was local signing his book (back in '91) I showed him this pic and said he remembered my uncle & the race, he said he still had the trophy but no photo. he stated had he had the pic it would have been his earliest photo "win" in an open wheel car.

Attached Files:

19. autobilly

autobilly

Kool thread. I love the late '2o's Miller 1.5 liter supercharged streight 8's. They gave the Bugatti's a good run @ 170 mph. The Kurtis-Offy 4.5 liter 4's of the '5o's were also fantastic cars.

20. I own the car that's in the picture. I have that picture and several others regarding it's history. I showed it to the late Len Duncan and he named every person in the picture. Too bad I didn't write it down.

For sure, the Mataka brothers, Bill & Ed, are in the picture. I believe one brother is 3rd from the left. The man with the cap is Frank Boeinghaus, his name is on the hood as a sponsor. To his right is the other Mataka brother (I think). Also notice the car owners name on the cowl.

Your dates are off a bit. His rookie year in ARDC driving for the Mataka brothers was 1962, and his first win in this car was during that year. He drove the same car during his 2 years with them as the ? , the 11 (as it is in your picture) and the 33. (Notice the ? as the number on my vintage racer in my avatar).

Labor Day weekend Sunday of 1963 Mario won 3 feature wins in 1 day at two tracks, located in two different states. The car became historically known as the "3 n'1" car, and that number became a Mataka Brother's number on their future cars.

Attached are a few pics of Mario with the car as the ? . The bandage on his face was the result of a rock missle while racing.

Attached Files:

21. Buildy

Buildy

What is on Mario`s face in the picture of the ? car? Bandage,maybe?

There I go agin looking and not reading-grrr.

22. the shadow

the shadow

Yes, you were right I was off on my dates. I checked with my uncle (seen in the picture) and he said it was mario's rookie year. After I talked with mario about the pic ,the race & my uncle he asked if I had a copy of the pic and I gave him an 8 x10 framed glossy. nice guy.

23. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Want to own one..

these two are on Ebay right now. Strong money on the black car, but where else ya gonna find one... There not quite as common as Reproduction 32 fords..

$17,500

STEP UP!!!:D

[​IMG]

This one is interesting.. Who ever has this thing doesn't know a lot about Vintage sprinters.. The pictures do not show the most valuble parts.. the Wheels, steering box and rear end.. Its only at $750 bucks.. (reserve not met)

check out that front suspension. reminds me of Sammy's car back in the day.

GO GET IT!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I spend mondays doin my Running. Those of you that Have been around restoring cars know, a TON of time is spent on the phone, and chasing parts. While runnin' today I saw a few cars.. Good ones...

Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look familiar??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

Look familiar??

[​IMG]

This looks like an old badger midget. The tires look grooved, but I don't think the badgers seen very many dirt tracks.

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thought it was this one.. But now that I'm home,, I don't think so.

[​IMG]

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Looks more like one of Don Edmunds creations.

Attached Files:

28. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

I wonder how hard it would be to get one of those plated and street-legal. Might be a little scary but if you really need the attention then why not?

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Page 9--- post #162 of this thread.

30. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

...as well as page 1, post #18 of this post. Its no different than a highboy roadster. Check your states fender laws... In ohio, it IS legal to drive a vehicle with no windshield, as long as you have eye protection.. Much like a Motorcycle.