Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What are you working on?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jul 18, 2022.

1. pila38

pila38

Front suspension painted:
    IMG_4903.jpeg IMG_4904.jpeg IMG_4905.jpeg

2. hrm2k

hrm2k

Now that I can see again, I am back to work on my 1917 roadster pickup. I found some after market turn signals for a Harley…..setup for just turn signals. Gathered up a couple of 2 pin 1157 pigtails and rewired for mini 1157 bulbs. Found an easy mounting place just below the Dietz headlights.

IMG_6512.jpeg IMG_6511.jpeg

I’ve had this somewhat strange desire to have grab handles on the pickup bed cover so this happened

IMG_6513.jpeg

3. We are sitting in the parking lot of the motel in Bowling Green with Lloyd, Enloe and the gang bench racing.

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. atch

atch

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Went to help my buddy get engine back in his car after having to deal with one cylinder not making a good ring seal. He should be good to go to Dragway 42 for the rock and race.
    20240622_165533.jpg
    20240622_175623.jpg

7. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Taking a break from block sanding. IMG_1175.jpeg

8. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

My 1950 ford 2 door original 8 cy flat head.

9. pila38

pila38

IMG_4926.jpeg IMG_4927.jpeg IMG_4928.jpeg IMG_4929.jpeg IMG_4935.jpeg IMG_4934.jpeg IMG_4931.jpeg IMG_4959.jpeg IMG_4960.jpeg IMG_4961.jpeg IMG_4962.jpeg Got the front end back together, good and tight, and greased it up. Finished up mounting the fuel cell, filter, and pump. Blew it all apart and I’ll finish the chassis black tonight.

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I bought this toolbox last Monday. I am going to put parts assortments as well as other odds and ends in it. When I am working on a job I can roll it up and work out of it.

Since I only have one arm I can use right now I will work on getting it set up. image.jpg

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

swapping 50 Ford rear axles in the yard because my not air conditioned shop is too full. I got a popup tent, (which Ive always hated, flimsy frame, plastic top rots away) added side panels and a window unit. About $500. Dont care what it cost. Its too damn hot out there

edit: I found out today that Academy Sports 12x12 canopy actually measures 8'9"x8'9". Thats a long way from 12x12. I wish I was rich enough to sue the hell out of them for false advertising

Last edited: Jun 28, 2024
    saltflats, osage orange and pila38 like this.
  12. manyolcars

manyolcars

I learned that its easiest to heat the back of any metal panel to get the bondo off.

13. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

New Wheels For The Almost Square Car... 449093813_3773257039665216_1972133208998204483_n.jpg

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

This may seem crazy, but I am building a sled to pick up rocks. After I paid a guy with a giant excavator to remove my rock shelf so I could build my new shop, it created thousands of rocks. They are everywhere. I just drag this behind the 4 wheeler and they will end up in the basket on the back, which I haven’t finished yet. The board on top are for mounting weight.

IMG_3757.jpeg IMG_3758.jpeg IMG_3756.jpeg

15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I went and paid for the engine today. It is done. IMG_8504.jpeg IMG_8503.jpeg

16. atch

atch

@enloe,

Please educate me on the rubber hose. It looks like the lower end is where the road draft tube used to be and perhaps there is a PCV valve in the upper end of the hose.

How far wrong am I?

I'm VERY interested as I would like to use my pristine Corvette valve covers on Clarence but refuse to butcher them for vent/PCV. Unfortunately my engine is newer and never had a road draft tube but I have a manifold that has the oil fill/vent that I could modify for PCV in the runner and intake in the breather tube. I'd have to do something like that as the existing valve covers have vent/PCV in them and the existing intake has no oil fill tube. I've never seen a PCV setup in an intake runner like (what I assume) you have.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    chevy57dude, guthriesmith and enloe like this.
  17. In an intake runner it must be static vacuum, but it appears to be connected to the breather port so that will cause issues for #'s 5 and 8 if run like that. The Hose should terminate in the carb port for it to work. JW

Last edited: Jun 25, 2024
    Moriarity likes this.
  18. So over the weekend I decided to pull out, the beat up boxed Model A frame I had leaning against my garden shed (which is actually full of so many goofy hot rod parts that there isn't enough room for the lawn equipment but I digress). I then went and pulled out the running model A engine that I had stashed on the back patio that I had squirreled away 6 or 8 months ago (after I made it run, then out of the weeds I pulled out the 1941 to 8? Could someone help me identify it?) Ford Rear end that someone modified at some point to a spring over and shortened the banjo drive shaft was modified to fit a Model A, then pulled out the Model A transmission of questionable origin that was $5 at a local estate sale.
    Then I went to my garage and slid the aftermarket front axle (that has some sort of "V" stamped into it that I paid hardly anything for in San Diego at the now gone Santee drive in car swapmeet) out from underneath the somewhat off topic disco era 'vette (that is fun to drive although being in California it has to go through smog so it just sits collecting dust but that's another story). Anyways a long story short because it's already getting long I pulled out a slew of parts that I had stashed around the house and yard the shed at the garage and I decided it was time to start building the Hupmobile model R/Model A banger project just because I don't think I'm going to have to spend too much money to make it a roller or even a driver since I got all these parts laying around.
    So far I have cut out some of the boxing for the frame managed to take most of the twist out of that same frame Mount the stock engine mounts make sure the rear end and the engine mesh together and basically take the whole bunch of parts and lightly put the car together just so I can pull it back apart again because I don't like rusty cars but this was my project on my 100° F weekend here is the three pictures I took today when I got home after dinner I took apart front leaf spring, got it painted, along with most of the other front end parts... I am hoping to make the car roll on a set of 21 inch model a wires that are on some really old Firestone bias plys that I think might be authentic 1950s not reproductions but I'm not sure. Anyways here is the few pictures.
    I will keep everyone posted as I progress on this. 0623242004_HDR.jpg 0623242004a_HDR.jpg 0623242004.jpg

19. Man I love a early chev small block such a good looking underrated traditional hot rod engine that just works so well.

20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

The original intake that would have been on this engine would have had a place on the oil fill tube to hook the hose to. This is the intake that was on the engine when my dad bought the car in 1976. This was how it was hooked up then.
    here’s the link for the kit. You could probably piece it together cheaper but I couldn’t find the part you needed for the block.
    https://www.ecklers.com/full-size-chevy-emission-draft-tube-kit-v8-1961-1968-40-166191-1.html

This was the way it had been on the engine since we got it in 76. We didn’t have any problems aside from the engine wearing out. It ran really well up til that point in time.

when I get the engine back in the car and get all of the wiring and linkage run I will shorten the hose.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Damn straight!
    Except, I've been sitting here trying to figure out why that particular word in that statement just doesn't quite fit as to discussions about small block Chevys.
    Now, I do know the anti-sbc guys would "claim" it is overrated and the Chevy guys would definitely not say they are underrated, you just can't argue with history and facts.
    Long live the small block Chevy!!!

22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Figured a video would be posted.

das858, Voh, swade41 and 10 others like this.
  23. Sweet! What's up with the fuel pressure?

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We are not in race mode at this point. May hit the track this coming Saturday and we will adjust the fuel presser at that point. We will turn up the wick for sure.

25. Very cool:cool::cool: JW

saltflats likes this.
  26. atch

atch

Way cool James.

saltflats likes this.
  27. Fantastic engine family. It has been and is a good run!

I don't dislike them. Shucks, the engine in my OT '92 Buick is one. I think. I expect I could have used one in the 1950 at less expense, and more power, than building the 263 straight eight. But that would have been too easy.

Ben

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
  28. Hank's Hot Rod Garage .

29. 0626242028.jpg And a little more progress, the front axle has been trial fitted. So far so good. It's kind of neat using stockish Henry stuff it all sort of goes together like Legos.
    I am building this on my back patio that is my weed ridden vegi garden in the background. Hopefully if I keep cranking on it a few hours a day over the next few weeks it'll start to look like something... I would love to be driving this "Fupingstein" before summer is over

30. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Changed location of the brake lines, first one were a little to close to the coil overs for my comfort 74105347570__6EFC5C26-E72D-44A8-8725-A27B5135CAAD.HEIC.jpeg

chevy57dude, rod1, swade41 and 7 others like this.