Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is considered a "bomb"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lt1tyrell, Sep 15, 2012.

1. lt1tyrell

lt1tyrell
    from Canada

I have been hearing the term "bomb" alot lately for the fat fender chev's. Where did the term come from? Is it just the fleetline cars or also the 2 and 4 door sedans? I am currently building a 48 2 door sedan and was wondering if it was considered one. I love the look of these cars when they have the right stance and all the factory chrome and stainless trim.

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I had guys calling my 50 merc a bomb 7-8 years ago and hadn't heard the term before. I would say it relates more to the chevys from 35 and up. Not realy sure where the term originated.

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

ive always thought it was a fat fendered chev or other lowrider styled car dumped in the weeds. i really have no idea though. just what i assumed

4. liljonny

liljonny
    from menifee,ca

Two answers 1- something that ticks then blows up. 2- something us beaners call cars. Mostly chevys. My knowledge 46-54. Don't forget the blinds in the back window. Aaannnnd a lot of accesories!
    :)
    My cuz's call em ranflas, bombas...

5. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

GM vehicle 36-54,,usually chevrolets...mostly ALL original,,but lowered down real low with as many ORIGINAL GM acessories you can find...thats IT..

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This. ^^^

7. wallyringo

wallyringo

I always understood it to be a 50`s Chevy, Caddy, slammed without airbags.

8. big creep

big creep

its something the lowriding community started, the saying that is.

9. Rogueman

Rogueman

You guys are all wrong! We called them bombs way before the lowriders were around.
    A bomb was just any old car that was not in real good shape. something ready to blow up.

bobss396 likes this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Bomb.

Attached Files:

11. AV88

AV88

Bombs cars with lots of crap screwed to them, in Australia they are taking off in a big way, it seems here in oz that the people who like customs that have no skills are all heading down the bomb path , I personly hate them but each to there own

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep outside of the suspension original is a must along with having every accessory that was available for the car on it along with every original piece of chrome. The bodies are usually straighter than straight and pack dark paint jobs with a shine that look five feet deep.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bomb is short for bombástico, or boastful and extravagant, en Español. Es la verdad.

62rebel likes this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

Tick tick tick tick..... :eek:

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I kinda like 'em. Just another aspect of the hobby. The ones I've seen are mostly very high-quality builds. And I happen to like some of the original-style mohair interiors.

62rebel likes this.
  16. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

And split exhaust manifold with small straight pipes, or maybe a small glass pack on one.

Sometimes the engine is updated from a 216 to a 235, and the rear swapped to a similar rear with better highway gears.

Maybe a siren... Visor... Rear dragging.
    And not just factory accessories, but rare factory options like a rear windshield wiper.

A '39 4 door is the flagship car to many, like the '32 roadster is to others on this board

Can sport some cool hub caps.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    62rebel likes this.
  17. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

We always called them La Bomba back in the day. And it was always a low rider. There were tons of them here in San Diego at the time. That was in the late 60s early 70s

18. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Bingo!
    Tom

jaw22w likes this.
  19. Drive Em

Drive Em

I don't think it is a new fad, and I do not think they are going to disappear-ever. I can remember seeing "bombs" cruising Ascarate Lake in El Paso 35 years ago, so to say it is something new in not correct.

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

esta ES verdad. While at the Pomona Swap Meet a few years back, there were a group of well-restored (body-wise) early 36-48 GM sedans of all styles. The crowd of owners was largely Hispanic, so I asked them exactly what THEY call these cars - as the were obviously NOT 'lowriders' in the jouncy/bouncy '64 Impala vein. Their response was BOMB and/or BOMBA and they refined my Spanish skills by iterating the bombastica nomenclature. Talking to them and walking around looking at how hard they must have worked to locate and install the myriad of time-specific accessories and bolt-on items from the period reminded me that a classic car-lover is a comrade-in-arms regardless of how he or she feels the end product ought to look. These folks put a lot of time into their cars, and we ought to appreciate that they feel the same pride we do when driving or exhibiting it to others. My largesse in this matter stops at the HAMB cutoff year and at all 'rat' rod turd-mobiles - no matter HOW much the builder loves his rustbucket abomination.

62rebel likes this.
  21. BLAKE

BLAKE

22. Rogueman

Rogueman

Words and terms change over the years. There is a difference between saying "That's The Bomb" and "That car is a Bomb".

Example: Fag

Back in the 70s I was riding out of the work parking lot with my dad ( we rode to work together ). We pulled up beside another worker. The guy ask my dad how he was doing. My dad told him that he was all fagged out. It meant very wore out to him. I freaked because I new what fag meant to me. Years before that it was a word used for a cigarette. I said No! No! Dad never tell anyone that again, because this is what it means now. That Rocked his world. Oh, Rocked! Shall we go on.

23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Language is funny that way. Was your dad a Brit? Because they still use the word fag for both of those things.

Look at what's happened to the word "gay" in the last 100 years. Back then, everybody wanted to be gay! (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

"The Bomb" is used for lots of things other than cars that are over-the-top (I think "bombastic" clearly defines). As for the cars, I kinda dig 'em but I probably wouldn't own one.

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

They must be talking about the internet definition. Things morph over the years. Calling a car a bomb was considered a dated expression for me. My parents generation called cars a bomb. :D

25. big creep

big creep

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    theHIGHLANDER and Rich S. like this.
  26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

In the fifties bomb, heap, jalopy, klunker,junker, bucket of bolts were all terms for old cars of various degrees of decrepitude. A bomb would be a well preserved old car in good running condition.

I suspect the low riders adopted "bomb" for older model cars when their 64 Chevs were late models.

27. Seriously ....how can that be a bad thing?

28. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

Big Creep, Now those are what I call bombs!

29. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Haven't heard that term in years. Around here a bomb was any old beater that would run and was mostly roadworthy that could be used and abused without fear of damage or destruction.

As someone else said, it looks like different areas have different definitions.