Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Where did "gun it" start?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boryca, Sep 17, 2024 at 1:36 PM.

1. Sharpone

Sharpone

Actually my great great uncle George was the first to use the term on Sept 10 1919 when he and his brother were trying to outrun the cops “For gods sake! gun it Fred, or the cops are going to catch us”
    I also have a bridge for sale. Time to go
    Dan

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Back in Colonial times stage coach routs ran from town to town and stopped at taverns along the way. Most taverns had large round disks or glass balls out front that they displayed so the coach driver could see them from a distance and stop and collect passengers. If there was no reason for him to stop the ball was attached to the building and the four horses flew buy "Balls to the wall".

3. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

“I jumped on it” and “I got on it” were most popular as I remember back in the day.
    Both of these in reference to our street racing escapades in our bs sessions while hanging out.
    Good memories.

WC145 and Sharpone like this.
  4. BJR

BJR

We always said "hit it".

5. You got it! V-8 LAST OF THE V-8s. Also we would yell stomp on it.

6. Yes sir! The bitch was born to RUN!

Sharpone likes this.
  7. I was 16 in 2000..... immediately after watching mad Max for the first time. Of course being sixteen in 2000 I also watched squidbillies..... meaning I also say "slap that pigs ass!" Lol

mad mikey, WC145 and Sharpone like this.
  8. twenty8

twenty8

I hope you are talking about the original (1979). It got immediate cult status when it was released.

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I doubt if the expression originated in any kind of actual meaning. I'd conjecture that it began as a pure interjection, relying on rhyme and slight profanity: just something a certain type of colourful character would cry out. The wall was just something to rhyme with balls. Its meaning subsequently crystallized around the circumstances under which it was cried out.

Bandit Billy and Sharpone like this.
  10. Yup. And I watched the original Australian accent dub.,....not the one with the "Americanized" dub they released here because they thought Americans wouldn't understand an Australian accent

mad mikey and Sharpone like this.
  11. twenty8

twenty8

Cool, but there was no 'dub' in the original movie. It was just made in Australia...

Sharpone and firstinsteele like this.
  12. We will see on the roads SCAG! Just like we saw the night rider.:D

The Chevy Pope likes this.
  13. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin