Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would this work ok?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TINKERDUKE, Mar 28, 2010.

1. TINKERDUKE

TINKERDUKE
    from England

So ive just picked up a 12 bolt posi axle from a 74 Firebird, only thing is it does'nt have any brake parts-not even back plates. The axle is for my 55 2nd series Chevy truck and my original axle has the same bolt pattern on the axle flange as the 12 bolt:eek: So am i ok to run my original brakes? They have recent shoes and cylinders and it would also enable my emergency brake cable to just hook straight in:D
    It just seems to easy so thought i'd run it by the Hamb first! Has anyone else done this?

Thanks, Steve.

2. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

Man that sounds like the way to go. I did a rear end swap on my 54 Chevy to a 57 Chevy rear. Wish I had swapped backing plates to make E Brake hook up way simpler. The Firebird rear should be the right width so I say swap your backing plates, brakes, etc.

3. Spity

Spity

4. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

Only problem I can think of would be the brake offset. Just check them against each other.

5. sixfootdan

sixfootdan

Kepp us posted on how it turns out I will be wanting to do the same thing as soon as my original one craps out.

6. TINKERDUKE

TINKERDUKE
    from England

Hey fellas, Yeah i could hardly believe the flange pattern was the same! Both axles measure near identical flange to flange but i would have liked to have had a 12 bolt a couple inches narrower- my solution to that is to alter the steel wheels backspacing. Looks like sticking with the stock brakes are the way i will go. I will let you know how it goes.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What are you doing/plan to do about the brake drums ? Your stock truck are 6 lug, the Poncho 5 lug...............so?????????

Ray

8. mac762

mac762

I didn't know they put 12 bolts in 74 Firebirds. Sounds pretty cool if your brakes fit with no drama. Let us know how it turns out, my Buddy just picked up a 56.

9. crider

crider

the only year for a factory 12 bolt in an second gen f-bodt was 1970. It had to be swapped into the bird

10. TINKERDUKE

TINKERDUKE
    from England

Yeah so I was wrong saying Firebird! The advert actually says 1974 Formula 400. Haven't crossed the brake drum problem yet- The original drums seem quite large in diameter. I will check out chevy 10 bolt drums.

11. crider

crider

It wouldn't have matter if firebird, formula or trans am. They all only came from the factory with a 12 bolt in 70.