Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods XO/PP Bonneville project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john mullen, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Rain this morning but clearing around 10: 00
    Had issues with Toe on the truck and will address that this morning after the rain stops. Should get some runs in this afternoon.
    Stay tuned!

2. A little wet but clearing out 20230505_081037.jpg 20230505_081041.jpg 20230505_081046.jpg

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hope the weather straightens out for you.

4. OK here is a summary of the last two days. On Thursday on a shakedown test we found the truck had a very bad shimmy in the front end. We worked on it enough to get it through tech. On Friday it was raining until noon and find the problem was still there. We worked all afternoon and around Six We finally figured it out. We are ready to set new records. Stay tuned 20230505_163558.jpg 20230505_163609.jpg 20230505_163624.jpg 20230505_163611.jpg

5. Weather tomorrow will be 80s and clear
    Looks like a good day to race.

6. After chasing the front end shimmy/deth Wobble we are not able to find the cause.
    We thought we had it fixed but didn't.
    So we are homeward bound with no passes at the Arkansas mile.
    Always next time..
    Thank you all for following just know it ain't over 20230506_103839.jpg 20230506_103813.jpg

7. Damnit…So sorry to hear this. In the words of my 88 year old friend, “I may F’…k Up, but I’ll never Quit.” Keep after it!!

jackandeuces likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry you had a problem. Hope you figure it out..

chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That's to bad, what has changed since last on track that could cause this?

jimmy six and Just Gary like this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Do you have a steering damper, like a Fiero or VW Microbus?
    Did you put a "U" in the tie rod when you lowered the vehicle?

chryslerfan55, D-Russ and Just Gary like this.
  11. lake_harley

lake_harley

I admit not being familiar with Ford trucks of the vintage of your's, but wonder, is it a solid beam axle or is it new enough that it might have the twin-I-beam design?

Lynn

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. You’re right, I don’t hear the fat lady singing. He he.

Just Gary likes this.
  13. We don't currently have a damper, but we will be adding one. The tie rod is still straight. Toe in is correct.

It was nice to meet you at Blytheville!

The truck came with a straight axle and parallel leaf springs. It now has a dropped straight axle, hairpins and coil overs. Steering consists of the factory box raised 5 inches, stock drag link and stock tie rod with tie rod drop blocks. We will be rebuilding the gear box, adding a damper and replacing the drag link. The tie rods are new.

One thing we will look at is the steering box location. We raised the box 5 inches when we lowered it the first time to keep the steering geometry as the factory designed. Basically we raised the box the same distance that we lowered the truck which was about 5 inches. Last year we lowered the truck an additional three to four inches, but didn't move the box position, putting the drag link in an upward direction from the pitman arm to the steering link.

Also the the right shock appears to have an issue. We checked the spring adjustment and positioned the adjustment and lock rings in the same position side to side. After that it seems the right side may be bottoming out so maybe the seal's blown. Wont know for sure until we take the whole front end apart.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. @Pete Eastwood , starting at post #1891, top of page 64.
    Any way to help these guys with steering problem?

Just Gary, chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  15. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'm sure you'll find the problem. I asked about the front end arrangement mostly because I'm not a fan of the twin I-beam setup that would have had an effect on camber when you lowered the truck the additional few inches, but since you have a drop straight axle my feebel idea is out the window.
    I am quite curious now though what the problem might be and hope you'll post follow up as things get checked out.

It was great to meet someone I "knew" at Blytheville.

Lynn

chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

If it is still ill handling after adding the damper look at the tie rod "drop blocks" which I presume to mean spacers between the steering arms and the tie rod ball joint ends. Those could cause the tie rod to resonate like a bass fiddle string.

17. Now that I have had time to think about the trip to Arkansas I want to apologize first to my crew.
    I should have been more prepared for the mile and fell short. My apologies as well to all who have supported the 640 project.
    The XO/PP record at Bonneville has been bumped to 140 and change
    Putting it totally out of reach for our little 270 Cu. In. Engine. We are 50 cu. In.
    Under the GMC.
    It cost around $8000 to do the trip to Bonneville and with the record set out of reach we will not be returning to Bonneville with the current engine platform. We are developing a GMC engine platform for future attempts at Bonneville just not sure what class at this point. We are still going to run the 270 Ford engine platform at the Arkansas mile once we sort out the front end problems.
    Not giving up just adjusting our direction.
    Stay tuned..

18. The sheetmetal intake for the 302 GMC is welded up and ready for powder coat IMG_9036.jpg

TomT, D-Russ, saltflats and 3 others like this.
  19. So sexy I would leave it alone!

D-Russ likes this.
  20. It does look great like this but the salt is so corrosive that I will have it powdercoated in clear.

TomT and Just Gary like this.
  21. 20230522_144916.jpg 20230522_144928.jpg I pulled the front shocks today and inspected them closely. Found them good and reset them as built then I found the right tie rod drop loose and torqued it and will tack weld them just enough that it can't move. It's now set up on the alignment casters and ready for alignment.

22. Been working on this dyno simulation for a couple months. Many changes in its components to come up with this engine design.
    320 cu. In. GMC for Dave Russell this one is going to be a bad ass. Now just need to find the money to bring it into reality. Many custom parts to have made. 20221006_152121.jpg

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How hard do they turn these GMCs?

24. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

If to be believed . . . it tapers off at 11 grand(?).

SilverJimmy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. So you’re saying this goes to 11?

Just Gary likes this.
  26. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

. . . that's what the report says.

SilverJimmy likes this.
  27. I ran the simulation that high just to look at the curve. I know in reality it will never see that rpm. looking at moving the power band down and looking for a wider power band it will lose overall power numbers but will have much more usable power. Still playing with the cam profiles to work to 7000 rpm No more. There's more to it than just numbers.

D-Russ and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  28. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I’m pretty sure somewhere in that simulation should be the “run over the crank” moment!

XXL__, Tman, Stan Back and 2 others like this.
  29. Just a little background here, I have built several engines using this program for over 30 years that were successful. My engines have won on the oval resulting in track championships in grand stock and mini stock as well as track records in drag racing the overkill engine that Jim McClure set a world record of 241 on his Harley top fuel bike in the late 80s was designed with this program.
    This is the same technology used by many NASCAR engine developments over the years.

30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Does the 116% vol eff mean you are going to boost the engine, or is that the result of some kind of ram induction at speed?

saltflats likes this.